Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :(

This is a discussion on Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :( within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; That is very unfortunate. If the fastest speed is predicted to be between 15 & 20Mb for FTTC , then ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :(

That is very unfortunate.

If the fastest speed is predicted to be between 15 & 20Mb for FTTC, then this is the most you could expect whether on the 40/2, 40/10 or 80/20 based products.

BTO upgraded the speeds, but deliberately slow the 40/10 & 40/2 products so that they do not exceed their subscription speed.

In the longer term I would strongly recommend that you consider FTTP or 4G should it ever come to the area.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      amalkin93 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Holmfirth
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi again,

So both the Sky Engineer and the Openreach engineer came out on time on Monday and spent well over 4 hours here with me.

So far, (fingers crossed) they have managed to fix the line.

The Sky engineer on arrival imminently spotted the type of cable being used outside to route our phone line from the external NTE (grey box junction for underground wires) to the master socket up the wall. The cable which had been initially fitted as part of the house when it was built, was a cheap, non-twisted thin cable with a thickness no greater than a USB wire...

When the Openreach engineer arrived, after doing some initial tests, decided to change the external wire to a standard, twisted pair cable for use on overhead wires. He also fitted a new master socket and filter. Throughout most of the visit they were both on the phone to the network services guy I have been in contact with after emailing the Jeremy Darroch adress, he found that after fixing this wire, our line was seeing no line errors/Snapshots building up, which were present previously.

So far, the line has been solidly stable even during phone calls, so im hoping its fixed it at last.

It makes sense how this fault may have never been picked up by the endless BT visits we have had, as most of them have always tested the line from the outdoor NTE and not the actual master, preventing them from detecting any faults involved on the line between the NTE and the actual Master (which if im correct, BT still has responsibility for).

As a result, we are now being placed on the FTTC Fibre scheme for up here and are awaiting for it to be organised by Sky. The ammount of effort, organisation and dedication Sky have put into this case has been beyond exceptional and it has proved that their customer care is of the best of most UK ISPs by far...as long as you can in touch with the right people!

Thanks to Scubbie for all of the help and advice with this case and for providing me with the email of Skys CEO (jeremy.darroch at bskyb.com) which enabled me to get through to their UK network services. I recommend anyone else who is experiencing a serious/long running broadband fault to email that adress.

Thanks

Thanks

I am so glad that things appear to have been resolved at long last.

What is your current connection like now (speed wise)?

I appreciate that DLM may be starting in the next few days, but either way it would be nice to see what you have now.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Yeh, the speed has actually slowed down statistically on the Exchange/BT side, but through the digital side of things as an end user its increased. It was found that this poor outside cabling was also causing the voltage to vary intensely thorough the day, which in effect built up line errors and caused the noise margin to lower and increase significantly. Basically previous I could get up to 4500 kbps down but my attention is 56.0 dB and as many people said, that was really unheard of for my line distance (around 6KM to Exchange). When I was synced at this rate, I was never able to actually achieve anything near that on Speedtesters and the line would usually drop after 30 mins when the noise margin became too low.

Now BTs end reads a maximum of 3100 kbps and I am able to achieve that on various speed test applications, as for upload, I am on 800kbps and before it was also on the same. BTs infinity site suggests I can get up to 15-20 down however Sky are telling me I could get up to 30-40, whatever, I dont really mind as long as its above 10 and has solid reliability and latency, as expected. This is down to the fact that BT stupidy has left the villages cab and FTTC DSLAM right in the middle of a rural lane, nowhere near any houses, probably because the village only had 10 houses before 2000 but now it has over 300 :/

Thanks

There has been some building in your area recently, along with a few other small villages in your locality. Hopefully with the expansion there will be other green street cabinets being built to cover any other new homes, but sadly you will be stuck with your current cabinet for now.

Roll on FTTP!

Thanks

Yeh theres a massive rollout around here, but I doubt they will move my villages cab, the village has not had any further development since 2002 and will likely not have any more due to greenbelt restrictions.

I just find it stupid how all of the BT engineers ive talked to keep saying they're struggling with sales, when everyone in my village wants it, but only half can (luckily including me) as the southern estates are too far for FTTC to work apparently, the irony is those properties are all very large, expensive family houses (with lots of computers and devices), who want and can afford Fibre the most! Failure on Bts side...

It always seems the small flats and houses which dont want Fibre always get the best connections but never utilise them much :/

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It makes sense how this fault may have never been picked up by the endless BT visits we have had, as most of them have always tested the line from the outdoor NTE and not the actual master, preventing them from detecting any faults involved on the line between the NTE and the actual Master (which if im correct, BT still has responsibility for).
      That is the problem being experienced by many with XNTEs. The BTO's responsibility actually ends at the XNTE, which is why they will always do their tests from there. From there to the rest of the house is the owner's responsibility, so if the work is done by a dodgy contractor, like yours, it is hard luck on the occupier. Apparently these XNTEs are not compatible with fibre, so are no longer being used. In the case of existing ones, they are being bypassed and a VDSL socket fitted within the home. This will be done with yours when you eventually get fibre.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

amalkin93 (31-05-12)

Thanks

Well like I said, when the Sky engineer was with them, they did check from the master and have managed to fix it. Also they have fitted us with new master sockets many times but have never bothered to check from them.

You say you cant get Fibre on XNTEs so how will this work if I am to get it as Sky are now putting me onto it next week or so since this has been fixed? I mean, if the underground cable is split at the NTE how do they take it past that with it?

Thanks

Thanks

Where people have got XNTE sockets and have FTTC installed, BTO has fitted connectors to bypass the XNTE circuitry.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

amalkin93 (31-05-12)

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The XNTE does not have any compatibility issues, it's more down to the fact that the demarcation point with fibre changes. Also, the XNTE had issues with water ingress I believe so the engineer will simply jelly crimp the BT wiring to the internal wiring. The XNTE becomes nothing more than a junction box. Way back when the XNTE was released we said it was short sighted & advised people with one to fit an NTE5 (which accepts SSFP's such as the VDSL faceplate that is now used)......which is what BTO now do!!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

amalkin93 (01-06-12)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast