Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :(

This is a discussion on Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :( within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have my suspicions it might be part of the wire before the master socket to the junction in the ...

amalkin93 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Holmfirth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :(

I have my suspicions it might be part of the wire before the master socket to the junction in the garden or in the man hole on the drive (which has been inspected by BT's UG guys twice), there was a very odd occurrence in October, our house was hit by a lightning strike, which surged both the mains which surged the router though (PC surged router via ethernet), the router surged all the other ethernet devices and the line itself, what was odd was that about 10 neighbours had their lines, sockets and routers wiped out, even houses many meters from ours, also our own line worked fine even the socket, could this mean there is a leak or a short between my line an someone else's?

Also just to note, we've had this issue two years, it was present in the same way before the lightning strike, and all of the internal wiring, router and computers have been replaced.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Sadly I have had no experience of the work that BTO do in connecting up the telephone wires.

I gather from what other members have posted that BTO are reluctant to replace the underground wiring. If this is the case, then I keep an eye on what happens with Stumpy when she gets SBUF as she has an issue with the wiring between her green street cabinet and her home.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hi, sorry I didn't reply earlier,

I will try ask some neighbours but I am assuming there are people with stable lines as some of my friends leave online games running all day long and have no disconnection's.

The weird thing is, the line doesn't alway disconnect on every phone call, for example yesterday I got a call, and the line remained fine, however on some other occasions the call will wipe out the routers sync for sometimes up to 10 mins.

I am definitely going to get the fibre as soon as its out, hoping it will fix this however in the meantime I dont know what to do about it, in our house we are not using the landline anymore because of this issue however we would like to as we have a sky call package which gives us free evenings and weekends. In our main line there are 3 pairs, orange blue and green, is it possible if you purchase two line rentals form sky, to have the home phone on one pair and the broadband on another so that we can use the phone without it causing issues? So in effect we would have two master sockets/lines.

Thanks

I haven't heard of anyone recently on the forum having two lines from Sky, but I guess it should be possible.

Did you receive anything back from contacting the Exec team?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

amalkin93 (04-03-12)

Thanks

I haven't contacted them yet as I am a bit busy with a college deadline however after next week I will contact them about it.

Thanks for the help

Thanks

Ok so I thought I'd give people an update, mainly to help others who may find this thread useful/similar to their issues.

I wrote a lengthy and formal email to jeremy.darroch at bskyb.com, Skys current CEO, about this issue. Within 2 days I received a phone call from a member of staff on Mr Darroch's behalf who as taken my case up with a team of Network investigation staff. I have been in contact with several members of Skys Networking team who have agreed that their is a serious fault lying somewhere likely between the D-side and my house. They agreed about the uselessness of Bt Openreach and as a result they have organised one of Sky's own engineers to come out alongside an Openreach Engineer.

One of the network advisors on the phone also managed to solve the issue relating to the phone causing the loss of sync, it was related to the type of phone handset which was being used. I was using an analogue phone which was throwing off the voltage of the line whenever it range, to solve this I am now using a digital phone which has a power supply from the mains socket rather than the phone lines. However this has not solved the random losses of sync I have being having, which will be hopefully sorted after the Sky engineer vist. If not, they have said they will put us on the recently Sky enabled FTTC (fibre) service as a second resort to solving this.

This is very good news to hear and hopefully they will get this sorted once and for all. I am very impressed with how quickly and profesional this was taken care of, epscially when you find the write person to contact. I reccomend anyone with longterm/unresolveable problesm to also email the Darroch adress as it seems to get handled with a lot more effectively than with the CSTs.

I will post again after the Sky visit.

Thanks

Thanks

It all sounds like they are going to fix things for you at last.

Interestingly, with regards to the telephone, it is highly recommended as a safety measure to have a corded telephone that uses the power from the telephone socket in case your power at home gets cut off. Words to this effect are included with the instructions for any DECT Telephone system.

If the two engineers cannot resolve/identify the issue would you consider SFU or SFUP?

Thanks

Yes I have kept the old one handy incase, just out of interest, is it usual for line/powered/analogue phones to throw broadband sync when its rung?

I have already said to the people helping me with Sky that I want to get Sky Fibre ASAP, however they want to sort this issue first, as do I. To be honest I have been waiting for Sky to offer fibre ever since I saw the FTTC cabs in June 2011, but Id never go with BT (or even Plusnet) as a provider.

Also what is SFU vs SFUP?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amalkin93 View Post
      Yes I have kept the old one handy in case, just out of interest, is it usual for line/powered/analogue phones to throw broadband sync when its rung?

I have already said to the people helping me with Sky that I want to get Sky Fibre ASAP, however they want to sort this issue first, as do I. To be honest I have been waiting for Sky to offer fibre ever since I saw the FTTC cabs in June 2011, but Id never go with BT (or even Plusnet) as a provider.
      I personally hadn't heard of this being an issue previously. However if the phone was faulty, then anything could be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by amalkin93 View Post
      Also what is SFU vs SFUP?
      If you hover of them, the forum's Abbreviation tool identifies them for you:

SFU = Sky Fibre Unlimited = 40/2 (perhaps 40/10 soon?)
      SFUP = Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro = 80/20

Thanks

OK, well currently due to my distance to the FTTC DSLAM box is about half a mile and I am predicted on both BT infinities and Skys checkers to receive from 15-20 Mb/s , so would the Pro package make any difference to this since I am not even achieving the Max of standard FTTC?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast