Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

switching to Sky broadband, router dispatch problems and therefore facing no service!

This is a discussion on switching to Sky broadband, router dispatch problems and therefore facing no service! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have chosen to switch from Talktalk to Sky as it has recently become available in my area and gives ...

rajp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Byfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Angry switching to Sky broadband, router dispatch problems and therefore facing no service!

I have chosen to switch from Talktalk to Sky as it has recently become available in my area and gives me unlimited data + access to Skyanytime+

Sky have been having problems with dispatching my router and therefore with a go live date (and therefore talktalk cutoff date) of two days away they are still not expecting to get me a router for up to another 7 days.

I have a router and am trying to get them to give me a username and password I can use when the line is switched to Sky - but they claim this is not possible.

They have offered me 30 credit to spend on a 3G dongle but having checked there is zero 3G coverage from any operator in my village!

Any suggestions on what I should do!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: switching to Sky broadband, router dispatch problems and therefore facing no serv

There have been a few issues reported on the Sky forums recently about delays in dispatching the Sagem 2504N.

Sadly they are correct in saying that Sky cannot provide you any log in details in order for you to use your own router. This is because they are encoded on the Sky routers and are unique to the router. The router becomes associate with your account by usage rather than using your account details.

Sadly if you were to cancel now, TalkTalk will still disconnect on schedule.

I would take the 30 credit and Dongle as it could still be useful to have should you go somewhere on holiday at a later date . It may connect on an 2G connection. You can normally test this without having to put any credit on the dongle.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

rajp (25-02-12)

rajp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Byfield
      Thanks

Re: switching to Sky broadband, router dispatch problems and therefore facing no serv

Thanks for the info. I may try the 3g dongle idea but based on phone experience the best will be a slow 2g connection at some times of the day.

Given that I am therefore looking at approx a week without a connection (and I've been chasing Sky daily for a few days to alert them to the lack of dispatch), is there any president for the level of compensation I should demand? I'm a TV customer as well so there is plenty of scope for credit!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rajp View Post
      Given that I am therefore looking at approx a week without a connection (and I've been chasing Sky daily for a few days to alert them to the lack of dispatch), is there any president for the level of compensation I should demand? I'm a TV customer as well so there is plenty of scope for credit!
      7.50 / 4 x 1 = 1.87

As long as you are pleasant, you may get a month free for the TV etc

However, if they have offered you the 30 tbh I think that is more than fair of them anyway. I appreciate that you are being inconvenienced, but 30 is a decent amount considering there is no service level agreement etc - Sometimes things just go wrong.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rajp View Post
      Thanks for the info. I may try the 3g dongle idea but based on phone experience the best will be a slow 2g connection at some times of the day.
      An advantage of Dongles is that they come with USB extension leads. You can always Blu-tack it on a window whilst you are browsing, for example.

Do check out how good the signal is before you put credit on it though. Normally the credit is only good for no more than 30 days, whether you use the bandwidth or not.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

my neighbours experienced a similar thing when coming from Talk Talk - they got an activation date (but I dunno if this was just the phone , broadband or both) which came and went but still no router even though they say it was sent... 3 times..
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

It's worth stating that you should connect a router regardless of the username/password as this will assist things should DLM start before your router arrives.

I had to do this as my router was about 7days late - got 3 something in compensation.