Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Soon to be with Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Soon to be with Sky Broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy The issue is that, in the past, Sky agents have informed us of what the procedure ...

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Soon to be with Sky Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      The issue is that, in the past, Sky agents have informed us of what the procedure is. No one from Sky, officially or otherwise, has updated this forum with the current procedure so although it would seem that the process has changed it may not be the same for every new connection
      I appreciate that, but, ive seen plenty migrations on their forums & a few on this forum (including my own & some friends) too see that its not (or no longer) policy to move broadband first - even when MAC is not required (such as coming from full LLU like Talk Talk or if you have broadband over a non-BT Wholesale line such as Primus Telecom CPS) the broadband is usually activated same day as phone line or later, if you come from a system that requires a MAC code (broadband over a BT line) then broadband can be activated first OR last it just depends on when you entered the MAC code and how things proceed (as per letter from SKY). - I will scan it for you if you like - this also makes sense as MAC migrations take 5-10 days and phone lines take 2+ weeks.

I appreciate that migration procedures and requirements also depend if your going onto Connect, SVBN or EasyNet but that only determines (with other specifics, such as who your currently with for phone line) whether or not you need a MAC and is un-related to it being "policy to move broadband first" , as most scenarios require a MAC and its under that scenario the broadband can be moved first or later then it would be silly to assume that it is "policy to move broadband first" when clearly it isnt, the other "non-MAC" scenario (as far as Im aware) requires phone line to be activated first with broadband same day or later so would be void of any such policy, therefore it would appear that it is NOT policy to move broadband first.

just have a gander on their forums for a while and you will see the evidence to everything I have been talking about relating to it all, ive seen & spoke to loads of people who have been coming from BT Lines going onto SKY SVBN all of which who have been asked for a MAC, entering one ensures seamless switch of broadband regardless of when phone line is activated, not entering it just means SKY take the line, you lose your current ISP and then your SKY broadband has to be activated afterwards (whenever that is) - so NO, when going onto SVBN SKY dont need the MAC (even if they are asking for it on Track Order and the letter they send out asking you to enter it) to move your broadband , but not entering it will just cause problems (for you) such as broadband downtime.

you can keep saying how it "used to be policy" or whatever but thats irrelavent, new users want to know whats going to happen, not what happened 3 years ago... also, in my opinion; a lot of the SKY reps dont have a clue whats going on either, it appears that most of them may not be aware of any changes as you get mixed answers from those too that contradict either each other or contradict whats clearly happening with new users during/after migration, most (like you and others on SkyUser keep saying) say if your going onto SVBN then you dont need and will not be asked for a MAC code which is obviously no longer true! or its impossible to be in receipt of your old ISP (until SKY BB is activated) once the phone line has switched on SVBN..which is also not true (when switching using a MAC anyway), there is plenty of evidence to prove that.

@ robnobleuk - you can get the tracking number from them, if it really has been sent there will be one, I got mine via Live-Chat
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

also, in my opinion; a lot of the SKY reps dont have a clue whats going on either, it appears that most of them may not be aware of any changes as you get mixed answers from those too that contradict either each other or contradict whats clearly happening with new users during/after migration
      I totally agree with this, although I do not believe it is the fault of any of Sky's staff. It is a fault in the communication of relevant information, or the distinct lack of training required, given.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

robnobleuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01278
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Hopefully Monday is the day the router will be sent out according to the person I spoke to from Sky, who re-ordered the router on Friday, so I'll check back then

Thanks

Just thought I'd post an update on this. Now cut off from Broadband from BT and have just spoke to someone on Live Chat from Sky and told them that when I last contacted Sky a router would be sent out on Monday. Having checked the tracker this was not the case so I spoke to Customer Service on Live Chat and was told the router had been sent and would arrive in 2 days however couldn't provide me with a tracking number (Not sure if this is standard for Sky to provide tracking information?) Got advised to call Sky to get tracking information and the person I spoke to said the router had not been sent out and that their system was muddled and has had to 'manually' order a router (At first he said it should be sent by the 9th but I explained the broadband would be activated today) He did seem confused as to why I had no equipment.

The online tracker has changed for the first time in over a week and now says My Broadband is active and that the order is being 'prepared for delivery' - In people's experience how quickly should it move from being prepared to dispatched?

Many thanks.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I would not be surprised if you end up with 2 or even 3 routers. This mess up seems to happen every now and then, it is not a regular occurrence and seems to be due to a lack of communication between the different departments. It may even be down to one individual who has not ticked the correct box. I have seen reports of routers being sent out on '24 hour delivery' when a mistake like this has been made. If it does not arrive tomorrow, get on to them and express your annoyance at the lack of delivery. Push for one to be sent out with 24 hour courier.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Cheers The person I spoke to earlier on said that he would send it out using a quicker courier, rather than Royal Mail, so I hope this is followed through and that it gets dispatched tomorrow.

Is it worth leaving my old router (Home Hub 3) plugged in? I checked the stats and it's synching at 3.9MBPS, so I assume it's going through the testing? So was just wondering if it'd help out if I left that connected, or just take it out and wait for the Sky router to show?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't think it will make any difference whether you leave the old router plugged in or not. If you were just connected yesterday I doubt if DLM has started yet. I am also not sure if DLM will work if the router is not synced with Sky's equipment, it trains the connection and if you are not connected, it is hard to see how it could do anything.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

After a few more phone calls with Sky, today the router has been dispatched. I was told I'd be getting this month free as I'd have had a week with no connection.
      I have a tracking number but at the minute little information apart from saying the parcel was 'posted into the Royal Mail Network on 08/03/12' - Not sure if this is usual in anyone's experience?

Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks
      Normally updates to which depot it's at,then on van and stuff. Have had to track parcels quite a bit. When my Xbox died I tracked it via tracking number to Poland and back

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Sadly some delivery offices vary in how fast they take to deliver packets. This is especially the case with undated items (i.e. not stamped or franked).

Tracking is supposed to reduce this as it makes them more responsible. Any items received at the office before a specified time should be delivered the same day.

Mailsort packets (Identified by the 'm' in the top right hand corner) will often be delivered after the deliveries have left, to be sorted by the staff later for next day delivery.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast