Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Soon to be with Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Soon to be with Sky Broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; "if you entered your MAC on the day of your order then your broadband will be activated first, if you ...

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Soon to be with Sky Broadband

"if you entered your MAC on the day of your order then your broadband will be activated first, if you didnt then your phone line will be activated first"
      This is the last time I am going to say this. In the past if you took phone and broadband you did not get the choice of when or whether you entered a MAC. You line was moved to the SVBN and up to 7-10 days later your broadband was activated. Moving direct to SVBN you did not need a MAC no matter where you were coming from and although the Sky agent would accept it, it was never actually used to migrate the line. Sky are now giving you the choice of entering a MAC or not. If you enter a MAC your line is not switched to SVBN until later. Yours will eventually be switched and you will be on Full MPF. If you did not use a MAC your broadband would not be switched until your phone was up and running.

In the past it was recommended that anyone moving from a BT line should move their broadband first using a MAC, then when that was done, take out the Sky rental. This way there was no down time for either the phone or the broadband. It appears Sky are now doing this as a matter of course, which is new.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robnobleuk View Post
      Thanks for that, I'd imagine it's just a case of waiting to see what happens once the broadband is activated and the DLM 10 day period is over and I'll post back the results. I'd be happy with the 14Mbps I currently get, higher would be better though!
      yeah... you should get a "round-a-bout" figure but I doubt you would get 'higher' - unless your Line Attenuation has gone down during the switch and BT were under-performing in terms of your sync ..my line attenuation went down by 1db, lucky me...some people experience an increase. mines gone up again today to 15,000k with 6db SNR. thats 2,000K less than o2 on same SNR and o2 had 1db higher Line Attenuation - but - Iam happy enough with that if it stays at that, will have to wait until DLM is finished, cos If i get it uncapped and use my Netgear router I should be able to increase it to at least 17,000k by lowering my SNR (18,000k hopefully) and I will be happy with that - my pings are OK, not great ... I get 37-40ms in CMD prompt but in Pingtest from 6 tests in a row I get half the results as GRADE A (39-43ms / 2-4ms jitter) and the other half as GRADE B (40-55ms / 10-20ms jitter) - im hoping its just the backhaul to that server, I will try other servers and see if I get the same 50/50 results - my pings with o2 were 29ms any time of the day with 0-2ms jitter
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

@ Isitime - "in the past" ...exactly! - you dont need to keep repeating this too me?
      its clear in my previous posts in this thread that Iam talking about SKY's procedures now!, not what they used to be which is irrelevant to new customers.

your saying "its policy to move broadband first" ..when clearly Iam saying "its not", which I explained to you regarding the letters from SKY (saying they will move one or the other first depending on when I entered the MAC) and mine and other peoples migration to SKY using MAC (where phone was switched first aswell as still having our current ISPs until broadband was switched after the phone line) - this is where I dis-agree with you (policy to move broadband first) - but you keep going on about "SKY didnt used to require a MAC code..etc etc" as a counter-argument which is not what I said or disagree with????

anyway, when a new customer signs up they want to know "whats going to happen" - not what policy used to be...

I dont know why you keep mentioning this when Iam not on about what SKY's policy used to be ...as Ive said Iam on about you saying "its policy to move broadband first".
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

robnobleuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01278
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Just been having a look over on the Sky Forum, slightly worried as I believe my Broadband Activation date is Monday 5th and many have been saying they are still awaiting for the router to be delivered, the broadband order on Sky's tracker say it's 'processing' with a delivery address below. I know there's a whole week yet however I don't really want to be left without any service, anyone else had any problems?

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unfortunately if your Sky router does not arrive, all you can do is grin and bear it. You cannot get on line without a Sky router

What I would not do, is call Sky about it at the moment. That can lead to all sorts of complications like the agent ticking the wrong box and cancelling it, leaving it to be ordered again. This has happened to other members who has as a consequence had to wait even longer. Keep your eye on the tracker if it does not change to dispatched by the weekend, give them a call.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks, it is a bit of a worry after reading all the posts and the amount of people who have no connection and are waiting for the router to be sent. Currently the tracker still says 'Order being processed'

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snadge View Post
      @ Isitime - "in the past" ...exactly! - you dont need to keep repeating this too me?
      its clear in my previous posts in this thread that Iam talking about SKY's procedures now!, not what they used to be which is irrelevant to new customers.

your saying "its policy to move broadband first" ..when clearly Iam saying "its not", which I explained to you regarding the letters from SKY (saying they will move one or the other first depending on when I entered the MAC) and mine and other peoples migration to SKY using MAC (where phone was switched first aswell as still having our current ISPs until broadband was switched after the phone line) - this is where I dis-agree with you (policy to move broadband first) - but you keep going on about "SKY didnt used to require a MAC code..etc etc" as a counter-argument which is not what I said or disagree with????

anyway, when a new customer signs up they want to know "whats going to happen" - not what policy used to be...

I dont know why you keep mentioning this when Iam not on about what SKY's policy used to be ...as Ive said Iam on about you saying "its policy to move broadband first".
      The issue is that, in the past, Sky agents have informed us of what the procedure is. No one from Sky, officially or otherwise, has updated this forum with the current procedure so although it would seem that the process has changed it may not be the same for every new connection
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Coming up to the weekend and router not sent, order still processing and the activation date is Monday. Time to get in contact with Sky?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robnobleuk View Post
      Coming up to the weekend and router not sent, order still processing and the activation date is Monday. Time to get in contact with Sky?
      Yes. Give them a call this evening to enquire about what is happening.

Check your order in the morning to check that it is happening.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Called them last night and just received a phone call a few minutes ago. Apparently their system did not know the Broadband would be activated in Monday, instead the router was going to be sent in time for the phone activation date which is the 9th. Have been told that I should receive the router by Wednesday/Thursday - Hopefully so!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast