Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Soon to be with Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on Soon to be with Sky Broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Have you had your broadband activation date through yet?...

ukdarrenfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Soon to be with Sky Broadband

Have you had your broadband activation date through yet?

2. Advertisement
      robnobleuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01278
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Online Tracker says it's processing but just received an email which says 5th March

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Online Tracker says it's processing but just received an email which says 5th March
      It seems to be the policy now to enable broadband first. This should ensure a seamless change-over. There are a couple of current threads about this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

if you enter your MAC code on day of order then your broadband will be switched first... if you didnt then your phone line may get switched first (this is what it says on letter from SKY) either way as you used a MAC code you will experience no downtime with broadband, on the day of switch your current service will just stop working... when it does wait 20 minutes then plug in the SKY sagemcom router, it will sync at "upto" 4096k for first day (so they say, but can actually be for 3 days) then after that DLM kicks in and spends "upto" the next 10 days training your line... if for some reason there are any delays and your broadband date gets moved to after your phone line (unlikely)...dont worry...you will still receive your current ISP even when your SKY phone line goes live

if someone has already told you this then sorry...

welcome to SKY

@ tom - its quicker to enable broadband first via MAC if the mac was entered same day as order as it takes 2-3 weeks for phone move but only 5-10 days for broadband via MAC - if you enter the mac late then your broadband could get switched after the SKY phone line....just like mine and a few others did
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Thanks

@ tom - its quicker to enable broadband first via MAC if the mac was entered same day as order as it takes 2-3 weeks for phone move but only 5-10 days for broadband via MAC - if you enter the mac late then your broadband could get switched after the SKY phone line....just like mine and a few others did
      You are a new member and probably do not realize that this is quite a new procedure for Sky. As I have said before, in the past when you opted for Phone and broadband, the phone was connected first and the broadband could take 7-10 days to go active. If you care to search back through the forum you will find many complaints about this, The new procedure seems to work a lot better, as you can testify.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

yup - so the "new customer" will fall under the "new procedure" and thats what Iam saying to him..

what Iam trying to point out to you though is that it is not (or no longer) "policy" to enable broadband first - its "about" 5-10 days after MAC is processed , phone line is usually 2-3 weeks - this is why SKY state in the letters what I mentioned above.

if your coming from a full LLu provider (with phone & broadband - such as Talk Talk) then you do not require a MAC and the broadband can only be activated after the phone line (or so Im told).
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Thanks

what Iam trying to point out to you though is that it is not (or no longer) "policy" to enable broadband first
      ..and you know this how?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping once the line's settled I'll probably get a similar speed to what I get now with BT (ADSL2+) Which is roughly 14MBPS, it has slipped to about 12 at the moment. I've always been quoted higher speeds however perhaps the condition of my line reduces this.

Currently have a noise margin of - (Down/Up): 7.4 dB / 6.0 dB and Line attenuation (Down/Up): 24.5 dB / 15.5 dB.
      Downstream: 12.66 Mbps
      Upstream: 1.16 Mbps

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      ..and you know this how?
      as I said earlier in my post above (and in some of my other posts) my broadband was not activated first and my "we require a MAC code" letter from SKY said "if you entered your MAC on the day of your order then your broadband will be activated first, if you didnt then your phone line will be activated first" - they also explained (I think in a seperate letter) that broadband takes 5-10 days (which has always been the case with MAC transfers..as long as nothing goes wrong) and further down it says phone line takes 2-3 weeks... which ties in with what they said about entering a MAC code on day of order or not... if it were policy to move the broadband first then they would have done so with me (and others I have spoke to who had phone activated first) and would not say "if you entered your MAC on day of order then your broadband will be activated first, if you didnt then your phone line will be activated first" in their letters.

@ robnobleuk - I have a 25.5db line similar to yours, and used to get 14.5-15.5Mbps down and 1.1Mbps up on speedtests with o2 on ADSL2+ with a 6.5db SNR (16,800 - 17,000k sync) - you would expect to get the same with SKY on ADSL2+ but it is not always the case, whether this is due to the hardware used on SVBN or not I dont know but a lot of people say that since switching to SKY their syncs are lower than with previous ISP (DLM aside) and Ive seen some say (whilst already with SKY) since switching to SVBN the same has happened which is why I think it may be that ..in some cases by quite a bit. SKY seem to employ a 'capping' system whereby there DLM sets a set (capped) speed...even if lower (by whatever degree) than what your line could actually do, some people say its for "stability" which may be true but in some cases I think the speed set by the DLM could be a lot higher and still be more than stable. I have seen other cases where the line has been "un-capped" and SNR is at default (or even slightly lower) and the sync rate is still lower than what it could reasonably be, one person who before had no less than 11Mb sync with o2 only got 9Mb on SKY with the same SNR Margin. Iam currently waiting for DLM to finish on my line, it is currently on 12,000K and SNR is 8.1db so dont think its gunna get much further, will have to wait and see, but as you can see thats marginally lower than the 17,000K sync I had with o2 on 6.5db SNR...even if you add on roughly 1,500K for the 1.6db extra SNR on my SKY connection it still falls shy by about 3,500k... I will let you know how mine turns out.
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snadge View Post
      @ robnobleuk - I have a 25.5db line similar to yours, and used to get 14.5-15.5Mbps down and 1.1Mbps up on speedtests with o2 on ADSL2+ with a 6.5db SNR (16,800 - 17,000k sync) - you would expect to get the same with SKY on ADSL2+ but it is not always the case, whether this is due to the hardware used on SVBN or not I dont know but a lot of people say that since switching to SKY their syncs are lower than with previous ISP (DLM aside) and Ive seen some say (whilst already with SKY) since switching to SVBN the same has happened which is why I think it may be that ..in some cases by quite a bit. SKY seem to employ a 'capping' system whereby there DLM sets a set (capped) speed...even if lower (by whatever degree) than what your line could actually do, some people say its for "stability" which may be true but in some cases I think the speed set by the DLM could be a lot higher and still be more than stable. I have seen other cases where the line has been "un-capped" and SNR is at default (or even slightly lower) and the sync rate is still lower than what it could reasonably be, one person who before had no less than 11Mb sync with o2 only got 9Mb on SKY with the same SNR Margin. Iam currently waiting for DLM to finish on my line, it is currently on 12,000K and SNR is 8.1db so dont think its gunna get much further, will have to wait and see, but as you can see thats marginally lower than the 17,000K sync I had with o2 on 6.5db SNR...even if you add on roughly 1,500K for the 1.6db extra SNR on my SKY connection it still falls shy by about 3,500k... I will let you know how mine turns out.
      Thanks for that, I'd imagine it's just a case of waiting to see what happens once the broadband is activated and the DLM 10 day period is over and I'll post back the results. I'd be happy with the 14Mbps I currently get, higher would be better though!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast