Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Internet light on and successfull Sky Test but...

This is a discussion on Internet light on and successfull Sky Test but... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm tearing my hair out with dreadful customer support from Sky. I've just found this excellent site and I'm ...

boyled is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Internet light on and successfull Sky Test but...

Hi,
      I'm tearing my hair out with dreadful customer support from Sky. I've just found this excellent site and I'm hoping that someone will please be able to help...
      I've moved from BT and signed up for Sky Max and my original activation date was 28th Oct. I received my user ID and password and the hardware duly arrived before the 28th. I plugged everything in and all the lights came on successfully but the install wizard on the CD wouldn't get past the 'Checking the connections' page. I then rang Sky (usual hours of hold time) and someone eventually talked me through logging on to the router and running various basic diagnostic tests. She agreed that everything looked fine (all lights are definately on) but there was some other problem that would need further investigation. Since then, I've spoken to various people at Sky, spent countless hours on hold and am still no closer to finding out exactly what is wrong. Sky Test works successfully and I can see that an IP address is allocated. However, this quickly drops and then I get the endless round of LCP Down and Chap authentication errors.
      We are now several days past the activation date and I desparately need broadband at home. The really frustating part is that there is obviously a fault somewhere but I can't find anyone at Sky to help and I have no idea what the problem is or when it will be resolved. The support staff just keep telling me that it's unusual for the internet light to be on and there still to be a problem...very helpful!
      After searching through various problems, I see that there are several reports of 'problems' at local exchanges. Could this be my problem?
      Any help appreciated...please!
      Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site boyled

I have just read what you have said and it would seem you have done everything correctly and I would tend to think that it is an exchange issue and TS should have been able to tell this as they have the ability to see such things, at a guess I would say you are connected to a faulty card in the exchange but at the very least they should have passed you to tier 2 or tier 3 to help.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Dave37 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hooton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Network card

I had the same problems as you and discovered my network card was disabled in bios even though XP said it was enabled. Couldn't enable it though, as greyed out, so bought new card and everything worked fine.

boyled is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses..
      My network card is OK.
      Looks like I'll have to get back onto TechSupt....bugger!

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yes sorry but seems to be the only real option open to you

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted soon.

@Dave

I would have thought that as well but sine he did mention the fact that he was getting LCP Down and Chap authentication errors made it obvious that he had access to the router admin log file.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here