Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

are SKY having issues with peak-time congestion? ..(worried!!)..

This is a discussion on are SKY having issues with peak-time congestion? ..(worried!!).. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ive been reading over SKY H&S Forums and its shocking just how many LLu users are suffering with peak time ...

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

are SKY having issues with peak-time congestion? ..(worried!!)..

Ive been reading over SKY H&S Forums and its shocking just how many LLu users are suffering with peak time congestion and super high latency...

they are obviously having problems... but have they acknowledged this?

I was just browsing through MySky and seen something in there that said "in evening and weekends you might suffer slowdowns at peak time due to the demand on the network"..i then wondered if that bit had always been there lol... I dont recall reading anything like that during sign up.

Evenings and weekends

At peak times, when huge numbers of people are online, your Sky Broadband may slow down. This is simply because there are so many people using the network. Our network is busiest between 4pm and 11pm on weekdays and all day at the weekend, but can be busy at other times too, depending on regional, national and international demand. You may find certain sites slower during major sporting or news events, for example.
      anyway,

Iam wondering if anyone on here is suffering with this? its got me worried about mine... also, im into my 3rd day now and DLM hasnt even started on my line... still 4069k and no tests have been run - its 2am now and router hasnt done anything as I was told it should.
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: are SKY having issues with peak-time congestion? ..(worried!!)..

they are obviously having problems... but have they acknowledged this?
      It would appear so by the information you have posted in your above post.

Sky are constantly adding backhaul to the exchanges, so if people are suffering from this, then hopefully it won't be for too long.

No other ISP can offer what Sky do. It is hardly Sky's fault, that, everyman and his dog, have to download legitimate 4gb Linux images, at least 12 times a day, for the least amount of money possible.

Obviously, some people may also be downloading illegal content, as well as the whole of the internet on their Sky BB connections, which is of course, 100% unfair to everyone else on that exchange, who do indeed, only like Linux.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 23-02-12 at 03:31 AM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks
      Blog Entries

^^ Above post re Linux issues, was pure sarcasm, as no one ever downloads anything illegally.

Should you be worried?

No not at all. As Orange (the fruit, not the company) would 'possibly' say....

The futures bright...... The futures Sky Broadband.

No traffic shaping whatsoever (if on an LLU product) truly unlimited downloads, and an 'all you can eat buffet' in layman's terms, you can fill your boots.

If you are having issues, then it is definitely not because you are being deliberately throttled or traffic shaped like a.n.other (insert name of) ISP (here) possibly does.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

flamey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EACOL
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks
      I reckon they have had a influx of customers with the 6month offer and are struggling to upgrade in time.

I'm sure it is being sorted as quickly as possible.

Thanks

thanks guys/gals?

Anyway - i thought this before I moved.. 6 months free and Anytime+ it will be flogged.. but i still could not resist the 6 month free..I was already thinking of switching BEFORE that offer came up - i sweated it for ages.. i was convincing myself i would be kicking myself later..if it turned out to be poor then it would be a real hassle and heartache to shift back to BT and i would not be able to go back to my o2 legacy package so I would have to pay even MORE for BE* just to get back to where I was...

in same thought though we have just had our new puppy insured @ 20 month and the savings in first 6 months would just about pay for that..then half of it afterwards -> if i ever have problems I will just look at my labrador pup and think "well it was worth it" LOL... nah I will be whinging like the rest of the poor buggers as its the only way to get SKY to notice

@ NewsreadeR - I totally agree with what you say 100% - but I think it would be ace if SKY just said "look where having problems with backhaul in the middle of country - but were letting you know we are aware of the problem and are working too solve it" - SKY shot themselves in the foot offering FREE broadband or for 7.50... the should of stayed at 5/10 at least and they would have still made a killing and used the extra cash for backhaul.

but yeah..before i switched i thought "i bet its dogged with this offer" lol... touch wood i aint noticed any latency delays on my end yet and download throughput hit the max of 4Mbps at tea time yesterday (5/6pm) - today my DLM has started and Iam on 6Mb and pings have reduced by 5-6ms to 43-44ms ..so so far my line "appears" to be free from congestion - but early days

...aim also glad to be rid of BT... our bill shot up to 100 cos we left they charged us in advance until MAY - we rang up and said we have to pay then get anything owed back refunded via cheque... they were charging us 17.75 line rental (but refunding 3.10 the following month so was 14.60) and we barely used the phone but bill was always 60-70 per quarter - we would much prefer monthly billing with SKY
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

7. The Following User Says Thank You to snadge For This Useful Post:

Alex20 (23-02-12)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

@ NewsreadeR - I totally agree with what you say 100% - but I think it would be ace if SKY just said "look where having problems with backhaul in the middle of country - but were letting you know we are aware of the problem and are working too solve it" - SKY shot themselves in the foot offering FREE broadband or for 7.50... the should of stayed at 5/10 at least and they would have still made a killing and used the extra cash for backhaul.
      Why would they say that though, when they are upgrading daily?

They don't need the extra cash lol - They are spending millions on their network.

Considering that some people are having problems, if you look at how many Sky BB customers there are in total, the percentage of those with issues is very, very low.

That doesn't help those on Connect, nor does it help those with genuine contention issues, but the facts speak for themselves. If millions of customers were having issues, then these forums would be a heck of a lot busier.

There is a huge difference between contention, and being traffic shaped.

I have been on the internet for many many years, starting off with a modem, and then moving to ISDN (and paying nearly 100 a month) compared to what I have got today, considering what I have today, speed wise and unlimited, no shaping, free to do what I want with it, I could accept some contention.

Luckily, no one near where I live, has heard of Linux, as I don't suffer from it, and in the 6 years (on and off) that I have had Sky BB - I cannot fault it at all. Obviously, I would like it even more if it were cheaper still.

Sky do invest heavily into their networks, and if you look at how successful their TV operations have become, as well as their investments into that, then you can definitely see, that they are not scared of investing whatsoever.

So in conclusion, yes they maybe are having genuine contention issues, but they are resolving them, but, just not as quickly as some would like them to.

Thanks

im pretty sure its in SKY's best interests to prevent customers leaving..therefore an update on their forum too say that they are aware of a problem on particular area would be nice...some ISPs do this..

you also need to remember that for every 1 person that complains or seeks help there is probably another 10 who dont realise or not interest in doing anything about it, or dont want the hassle and just accept it as "oh internet is a bit slow tonight" (on exchanges that are affected with contention problems)

congestion is fine on SKY network as i explained on Sky's forum to users on there for exact same reasons you mention, but when it makes your internet un-useable for 5-6 hours every night then its surely no acceptable, there are many in the west midlands area on their H&S Forums that seems to be having contention/congestion problems.. at peak times throughput dropping really low and latency in several hundreds
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

10. The Following User Says Thank You to snadge For This Useful Post:

Alex20 (23-02-12)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Why don't you wait until DLM has finished etc and then see how bad things are?

I know of 2 complaints of contention like symptons on here at the moment, but both people are within the first 10 days of joining Sky.

DLM is designed to make the most out of your line, and give you the most stable conditions etc - But people need to let it do its job first.

You may be pleasantly surprised once it has completed.

However, I do appreciate that other people do have issues with contention, and it is entirely, not their fault.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snadge View Post
      im pretty sure its in SKY's best interests to prevent customers leaving..therefore an update on their forum too say that they are aware of a problem on particular area would be nice...some ISPs do this..

you also need to remember that for every 1 person that complains or seeks help there is probably another 10 who dont realise or not interest in doing anything about it, or dont want the hassle and just accept it as "oh internet is a bit slow tonight" (on exchanges that are affected with contention problems)

congestion is fine on SKY network as i explained on Sky's forum to users on there for exact same reasons you mention, but when it makes your internet un-useable for 5-6 hours every night then its surely no acceptable, there are many in the west midlands area on their H&S Forums that seems to be having contention/congestion problems.. at peak times throughput dropping really low and latency in several hundreds
      I take your point, but in all honesty, Sky have over 10.471 million customers for their TV and three million customers taking all three of TV, broadband and telephony.

I would bet out of all those customers, very few people actually know Sky's forum exists. (or this one)

Yes it is in their best interests to stop people leaving, I also agree. However, if Sky put, we have issues in this area, or that area, I would imagine that that alone may put people off joining Sky. Sky are probably more than likely aware of where contention is happening, afterall it is their network.

What you are saying, is like expecting the M6 motorway to allow vehicles to be able to drive at full speed, 24 hours a day, but then not factoring into the equation, peak rush hours, or even the odd accident.

Broadband works in exactly the same way. When people get in from school, work, then they probably jump onto their PCs and start downloading the internet / browsing etc

No ISP can guarantee that their network can cope 24 hours at full speed for everyone, it has never worked like that. In my eyes, Sky have covered that by the statement you posted a few posts above.

I also fully agree, that for every 1 person that complains or seeks help there is probably another 10 who dont realise or not interested in doing anything about it.

For those struggling to use their internet for 5-6 hours every night, I fully understand that they would be quite rightly annoyed and want to vent their disappointment. But I would practically guarantee, that Sky as a company, don't want 'a single customer' unhappy.

If there are plenty of people in the West Midlands, having issues, then I would be prepared to bet a tenner, that Sky will be working on it as we speak, to resolve it for them.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 23-02-12 at 07:49 PM.

Thanks

hen I would be prepared to bet a tenner, that Sky will be working on it as we speak, to resolve it for them.
      I agree 100% - and thats what I have told them all on there

Why don't you wait until DLM has finished etc and then see how bad things are?
      I dont think Iam suffering with those problems because although Iam on DLM my throughput and pings are normal in peak time.....phew! (touches wood)

However, if Sky put, we have issues in this area, or that area, I would imagine that that alone may put people off joining Sky. Sky are probably more than likely aware of where contention is happening, afterall it is their network.
      well this is it... catch 22, thing is, people are unlikely to venture onto their forums before signing up to 'check', its always AFTER they have signed up when they have problems.

What you are saying, is like expecting the M6 motorway to allow vehicles to be able to drive at full speed, 24 hours a day, but then not factoring into the equation, peak rush hours, or even the odd accident.
      haha, I dont think thats a very good metaphor for what I said ... just put a note up where "congestion complainers" congegrate informing them its getting sorted because almost ALL of those users are on about leaving, that way SKY would calm down & keep angry customers and save money , not too mention earn respect and prevent those leaving users from slagging off SKY and potentially losing MORE custom - its unlikely that a new member already eager to sign up is gunna register with SKY and log into forums just too see if they have outages/congestion before he/she decides - there are many ISPs that say when they have problems either in forums or when you call up - once in 5 years I had a problem with i2, called and within 20 secs someone answered and said there was a problem and they working too fix it and be fixed hopefully in 24-48 hours...and it was... in anyway, if SKY "factored in for peak rush hours or odd accident!" then we wouldnt have this problem hehe - its obviously just a lot of new users in the affected areas because of the offer...im glad its finished!!

I love SKY, im not trying to slate them at all... im just saying there some things they could do/handle better

so far my personal experience has been 10/10 - no downtime of internet between providers, router arrived on time, no obvious problems with connection (so far)

I totally agree that its a tiny amount of percentage thats affected..no more than any other ISP
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast