Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Could you give me an estimate on what speed to expect please..

This is a discussion on Could you give me an estimate on what speed to expect please.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme Could we go back to basics? Do you have fixed phone extensions in your house? ie, ...

ukdarrenfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Could you give me an estimate on what speed to expect please..

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Could we go back to basics?
      Do you have fixed phone extensions in your house? ie, boxes fixed to the wall with concealed wiring.
      If so, when you remove the faceplate do these extensions still have dial tone?
      Can you remove the faceplate and replace it with a plug in filter. What are the stats now?

I think the main problem with your line is that there is a lot of noise in the higher frequencies. This is shown by the high rise in your attenuation when you moved from G.DMT to ADSL2+. It is possible your connection would do much better if it was moved back to G.DMT. Your first stats, before DLM started showed you could expect 7-8Mb, with the present ones you will be lucky to get 5-6Mb.
      I have 2 fixed phone extensions in my house. One in the extension at the back of the house (where my router always used to be) and one in my son's bedroom to plug in his sky box.

My cordless phone for some reason will now not work when it is plugged into the telephone extension cable, though it did before we changed to the filtered faceplate. My corded phone will also not work when it is plugged into this, although it does work when plugged into the master socket. At the moment my cordless telephone is plugged into the extension box at the back of the house, although this is not ideal. At least it works there until I can have a play around again.

I had to unplug the ADSL cable from the router this morning and when I plugged it back in the noise level went back to 9.4db, that is until the phone rang and everything went haywire! Hubby said that the phone was really hissy and crackly. While I was talking I checked out the router stats and they'd gone crazy! Speed had plummeted to around 2mbps and line attenuation had shot up from 44 to 51. It even changed from pppoA to MER/pppoA.

I've put filters back onto both extension sockets and the noise level seems to be pretty steady now at between 8.6db and 8.8db. These are my latest router stats: I'm going to have another play around with the phone tomorrow and see if I can get it working in the living room again. I daren't do anything now, hubby is watching the footie and will kill me if I get in the way! I've done a quiet line test and it seems to be ok at the moment, maybe a very, very slight noise, but before it was extremely hissy and crackly.

System Up Time: 7:15:14
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 71419 86893 0 449 2613 6:03:32
      LAN Up 18543 656 0 468 3 7:15:14
      WLAN Up 227157 177343 0 2699 1035 7:14:57
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5020 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.0 dB 25.3 dB
      Noise Margin 8.7 dB 12.0 dB

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I've put filters back onto both extension sockets and the noise level seems to be pretty steady now at between 8.6db and 8.8db.
      This seems to suggest that the extensions are not properly wired into the Master socket. You should have wires connected to the 2 and 5 terminals on the back of the faceplate, not the A-B terminals. How many will depend on how your extensions are wired. If they are daisy-chained, as normal, you will have one wire on each terminal. If they are spider-wired, you will have 2 wires on each terminal.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This seems to suggest that the extensions are not properly wired into the Master socket. You should have wires connected to the 2 and 5 terminals on the back of the faceplate, not the A-B terminals. How many will depend on how your extensions are wired. If they are daisy-chained, as normal, you will have one wire on each terminal. If they are spider-wired, you will have 2 wires on each terminal.
      There were only 2wires connected on the original faceplate which were then put into 2 & 5 of the filtered faceplate. There is nothing in the A or B terminals at all.

Thanks

It's not likely but it is just possible you have a faulty filtered faceplate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

That would be just my luck. DLM should have finished soon, so I'll see what it says. Was I on G.DMT when I posted my first lot of stats? When my line attenuation was only 40? Would I be better off with that? How could I find out if the faceplate is faulty?
      Last edited by ukdarrenfan; 04-03-12 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks

You were on G.DMT initially and it looks like you would be better off with your line set to that again.

Remove the faceplate and plug the router into a filter, see if the stats improve.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think I have a faulty faceplate. I managed to get my cordless phone to work eventually by putting a filter on the phone side of the socket. It now works fine. These are my router stats as it stands:

System Up Time: 0:04:49
      WAN PPPoA 398 413 0 68 36 0:03:04
      LAN Up 1486 65 0 686 11 0:04:49
      WLAN Up 2788 2690 0 8166 1774 0:04:32
      Line Attenuation 43.5 dB 25.3 dB
      Noise Margin 8.4 dB 12.5 dB

and these are posted from the test socket using the grey ADSL cable

System Up Time: 0:13:35
      WAN PPPoA 29 32 0 41 83 0:00:41
      LAN Up 2400 106 0 551 5 0:13:35
      WLAN Up 6947 6926 0 7988 1630 0:13:18
      Line Attenuation 44.0 dB 25.4 dB
      Noise Margin 8.4 dB 12.5 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Don't know what happened with the line attenuation in the first one, it's back at 44 now. I'm not going to touch another thing now! I think DLM has finished now as nothing has happened for the last couple of nights. As soon as it's confirmed I'll ask them to put me back onto G.DMT again and see if it helps.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just come off the phone to Sky. My download speed had been set to 5mbps and upload to 0.8 so I asked him to reconfigure it for me. This is what I have now and I am still on ADSL2+, for some reason he was very reluctant to put me back onto G.DMT and said that they aren't supposed to do that anymore. Anyway, this is what I have now. If it stays that way I'm happy with it. It's more than I had with O2.

System Up Time: 0:03:01
      WAN PPPoA 95 84 0 5 52 0:01:55
      LAN Up 1320 44 0 66 0 0:03:01
      WLAN Up 2563 2352 0 7337 1113 0:02:44
      Connection Speed 8480 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.0 dB 25.3 dB
      Noise Margin 7.3 dB 12.5 dB
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

He has certainly worked some magic

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast