Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Could you give me an estimate on what speed to expect please..

This is a discussion on Could you give me an estimate on what speed to expect please.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If it just stays at this I can cope with it for the moment. As soon as I've set it ...

ukdarrenfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Could you give me an estimate on what speed to expect please..

If it just stays at this I can cope with it for the moment. As soon as I've set it up properly I'll give Sky a call and get them to sort it out for me or I'll just end up doing it twice! My pings are a bit better on Speedtest though I noticed.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Well DLM is still running and speed has increased now to 5023 down and 796 up. The noise margin is now 9.4db/12db, so heading in the right direction I think. Still have to fit the filtered faceplate and the new cable and see what happens then.
      Last edited by ukdarrenfan; 02-03-12 at 11:59 PM.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

If you have them, it would be a good idea to fit them now to see if there is any improvement.

DLM can do a better job than humans. It has access to smaller differences in connection speeds.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Should be sorting it this weekend. Hope I manage to do it right, as it is meant to be easy. I'm sure I can manage to stuff it up somehow! It is only the 2 wires into 2 and 5 isn't it? Nothing in 3 because that's the bell wire?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are fitting a filtered faceplate you can connect the ring wire if you wish. It will make no difference.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well the filtered faceplate is fitted and this is what I now have on my router stats. Obviously DLM is still running and I have to wait and see what that does overnight. Am I likely to get anymore speed, because what I'm getting now is nowhere near what I was getting with O2.

System Up Time: 3:32:10
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 88708 105630 0 86 47 2:41:22
      LAN Up 8179 308 0 57 0 3:32:10
      WLAN Up 154565 130611 0 7301 1182 3:31:53
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5020 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.0 dB 25.3 dB
      Noise Margin 6.4 dB 12.0 dB

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

@ SCUBBIE - I wouldnt say that... (DLM better than humans) - well I suppose in theory yes - seems DLM always shortchanges new users by quite a bit when its finished, I know my friend thomas was on a 16Mb profile when he could hit 20Mb on default SNR , I was set @ 15,400k when i can get 18,013k on default SNR, my other friend got 13,700k on a 27db line where he had 17,000k with BE* previously... yet 1 call to SKY and you can get it sorted! so DLM doesnt seem to be that good in practice, at least not from what ive seen (including many others on other forums including SKY's H&S Forums)

@ UKDARRENFAN - you use the Line Attenuation figure to work out what speed you should *roughly* get, at 44db you should get 7-8Mb mark (you've probably already been told this though), what did you get with o2? I used to have a 39db line that sync'd @ 13,000k on o2, but have to admit that was a really good line!! I wouldnt be surprised if thats all DLM is going to give you... but wait and see, there are plenty charts and stuff on the web that tells you rough speeds for your stats, I refer to this chart as it also has the line length too so anyone who cant get the Line Attenuation figure for their address (perhaps they are new tenants/owners) they can get the distance from exchange by road from this website and others and work out what they might get from it.
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

so DLM doesnt seem to be that good in practice, at least not from what ive seen
      It may look like that, but the whole purpose of DLM from my understanding is to give that user the best possible experience, whilst watching on demand stuff from Sky etc - ie it is optimised for that sort of purpose, as then Sky can let you watch stuff online etc (and of course charge you for certain stuff to make more pennies)

Maybe that is the reason why, someone who is a gamer etc and couldn't care less may get a worse connection via DLM (speed wise etc) and when that person speaks to Sky they deviate from the ondemand profile so to speak.

DLM has it's quirks, but I know Sky trained it so to speak for preference over content on demand.

Whatever way you look at it, DLM does work for the majority, infact many of them don't even care as long as their broadband experience is a happy one.

I am pretty sure Sky don't mind the odd geek everynow and then, that knows their onions, and can more than likely get better, with a bit of tweaking, but as said previously for every geek, there are probably about 10k of people who don't really care.

No offence to geeks or people who do not care intended.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

@ NR - Hi NR... Thing is, SKY would benefit from higher sync rates for on-demand video though?
      And I could understand if it was for stability if the SNR was higher to reflect the lower speeds (making it more stable) but their not, they are the same 7db SNR regardless of SYNC RATE so the line is no more stable at lower syncs than it is on higher sync if SNR is the same?

I would really like to know why it always seems to sync a bit lower (fair bit in lots of cases, such as thomas's 16Mb on a 20Mb line)

as for 10,000 people not caring for every 1 geek, well that is very true!! , but im not addressing the matter to those 10,000 as they arent on here asking why theyre getting no-where near what they had previously with old ISP hehehe - those 10,000 people are sitting at home unaware and couldnt care less if they knew (as long as the reduction wasnt affecting streaming of on-demand content )
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Thing is, SKY would benefit from higher sync rates for on-demand video though?
      Not if errors are building up though, surely?

those 10,000 people are sitting at home unaware and couldnt care less if they knew
      I rest my case mate, if their broadband works, they can view the news, watch iPlayer, send email, and download Linux distros, they don't really care. Which I agree is a shame, as if every single person on whatever ISP made the case for a better standard of connection etc then the industry would change. However, they won't - they don't care.

1 person in 10k is not going to make any company change it's ways.

Sky have their reasons, and from what I understand it is to give the best possible experience, and perhaps not the best possible speed. Stability is better than speed in my eyes.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast