Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Could you give me an estimate on what speed to expect please..

This is a discussion on Could you give me an estimate on what speed to expect please.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Could my Sky box be causing a problem? It's always been filtered before but that would leave me with a ...

ukdarrenfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Could you give me an estimate on what speed to expect please..

Could my Sky box be causing a problem? It's always been filtered before but that would leave me with a filter on either end, as the router is currently plugged into a filter at the end of the telephone extension cable. Should I have a filter on both ends? Should I just leave it this way until the new faceplate arrives? At the moment the set up is 'master socket, sky splitter-telephone extension cable-filter-phone and router'. Should that be 'master socket-filter-sky splitter-phone extension cable-filter-phone and router'. My other set up was so much easier!

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

No. It should be Master socket>filter>router on router side/Sky splitter to Sky+ box and phone on the phone side
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

If the extension for the Sky STB is plugged in BEFORE any filter, then yes this will be a problem.

Some people have reported issues with a Sky STB connected, so you could try disconnecting it at the socket for a period to confirm this.

The only reasons that you currently need to have any Sky STB connected to the telephone are as follows:

• multi-room set up (danger of being charged twice for your full package)
      • it is an easier way to order SBO events
      • if you want to access the Interactive content

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      No. It should be Master socket>filter>router on router side/Sky splitter to Sky+ box and phone on the phone side
      At the moment I come across the problem when we get to the router as the cable is not long enough to reach the master socket. That's why I have a filter at the end of the phone extension where it is plugged in. Would it cause a problem if there were filters at both ends of this, ie, filter at the master socket end and the phone extension end where the router is plugged in. I will have got my faceplate in a few days so it won't matter, but if it will help for now I'd add a filter to the master socket as well as the phone extension cable.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If the extension for the Sky STB is plugged in BEFORE any filter, then yes this will be a problem.

Some people have reported issues with a Sky STB connected, so you could try disconnecting it at the socket for a period to confirm this.

The only reasons that you currently need to have any Sky STB connected to the telephone are as follows:
      • multi-room set up (danger of being charged twice for your full package)
      • it is an easier way to order SBO events
      • if you want to access the Interactive content
      ..and yes we do have multiroom so will need to keep the Sky STB connected.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Would it cause a problem if there were filters at both ends of this, ie, filter at the master socket end and the phone extension end where the router is plugged in.
      Yes it would, it would mean your router would be plugged into a filtered line, so it would not work. What you can try, as it temporary measure until you get it sorted properly, is plug a second filter straight into the first one and plug the Sky box splitter into that with the router plugged into the first filter. Some have found it necessary to buy a higher quality filter to plug in the Sky boxes as the Sky supplied ones are not so good. I take it your second box is plugged into a filter as well?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Yes it would, it would mean your router would be plugged into a filtered line, so it would not work. What you can try, as it temporary measure until you get it sorted properly, is plug a second filter straight into the first one and plug the Sky box splitter into that with the router plugged into the first filter. Some have found it necessary to buy a higher quality filter to plug in the Sky boxes as the Sky supplied ones are not so good. I take it your second box is plugged into a filter as well?
      Thanks, I'll try that when I get home. I'm sure the 2nd box is filtered but I'll have a check of that too when I get in. It's in my son's bedroom so I'll have to wade through the mess to get to it!

*edit. Can't do that as it will still be double filtered, because the ADSL cable won't reach. Looks like it will have to stay that way until the faceplate comes.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Looks like it will have to stay that way until the faceplate comes.
      Probably for the best. Just remember when you fit the faceplate you will have to connect the router to it, you will not be able to use an phone extension. Make sure the second box is filtered, if its not, that could be having a very bad effect on your connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well for some reason when I got in the connection had dropped. I managed to find the ADSL cable that I had used before and low and behold it was long enough! I now have a filter running from the master socket, with the router plugged into it! Bit of a mess, it running across the hall carpet, but needs must for the moment. The second Sky box was filtered, but I changed the filter for a new one.
      When should I see any improvements if any? These are the stats I've just taken:

System Up Time:
      0:27:27
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 16854 23342 0 68 131 0:24:48
      LAN Up 1057 34 0 474 0 0:27:27
      WLAN Up 30375 23497 0 9073 1584 0:27:10
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3068 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.0 dB 25.4 dB
      Noise Margin 15.1 dB 12.0 dB

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ukdarrenfan View Post
      When should I see any improvements if any? These are the stats I've just taken:
      If you compare the Line Attenuations between the figure that you posted this morning and what you have now, there is a small improvement.

DLM will once more adjust your connection speed between 2-3am hopefully (it can actually be between 1am and 6am). It may improve thing or it may think that slowing you down has curred the issues.

Once DLM has finished it is likely that you will need to call Sky though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast