Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Could you give me an estimate on what speed to expect please..

This is a discussion on Could you give me an estimate on what speed to expect please.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; There is no power socket near my master socket. It is in the hallway and my nearest power socket is ...

ukdarrenfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Could you give me an estimate on what speed to expect please..

There is no power socket near my master socket. It is in the hallway and my nearest power socket is in the living room. Short of having wires trailing by my front door I don't know what else I can do. I don't know if the ADSL cable is long enough. It's something I will have to find a solution for, because I cannot afford to move the master socket to a more suitable location. I've always connected via this telephone extension and with O2 my speeds were variable, but up to around 7mbps.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

If I can manage to connect the ADSL cable into the master socket, can the phone extension still run from the filter to the phone line without causing a problem?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

can the phone extension still run from the filter to the phone line without causing a problem?
      From this I take it the extension is connected to a plug going into the master socket and is not hardwired to the back of the socket? If this is the case plug the filter into the master socket first and plug the extension into the filter. Plug the router into the ADSL side of the filter. You do not need a filter on the other end of the extension.

Have far is the master socket from a power point? If it is not too far you can use a longer ADSL cable to plug in the router. Provided it is high quality twisted pair, an ADSL extension of 10m will not effect the signal to any great extent.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you. That's answered my question. I'll have to check the distance for the cable. My TV is just inside the living room, so not too long a distance. Will just have to check if the cable I'm using at the moment is long enough when it has to be clipped to the skirting board.Unfortunately it will also have to be clipped at the bottom of the door frame, but that's the only way I can do it.
      I'll wait until DLM has finished running and then see what I can do. Can I ask SKY to run DLM again when I have sorted the issues out?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

If you get a good improvement in your figures after DLM has completed, you can ask Sky for a manual reset.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

Could you perform a quick test to see if you would benefit from using the Master Socket?

If you have an electrical extension lead, as a very short term thing, could you connect your router to the Master socket, with the short grey ADSL lead and post the stats please? Hopefully from there we can confirm how worth while it may be to make use of it.

If it is worth while you may wish to consider getting a proper ADSL extension cable like what Tom has suggested. It is possible to buy them made up, but not very easy to find a good quality one. I have just had a look around for an example and most appear to be thing flat cable.

The best suggest would be to make one yourself, with the correct connectors, from Cat 5e cable. It is something like this that BTO are doing for FTTC connections.

If you have an NTE5 Master Socket, you may wish to consider investing in a filtered faceplate at the same time.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Will it mess with the DLM if I try it while it's running and how long should I leave it in there for?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

If anything, using the Master Socket will produce a better result for you with DLM. Using the suggested extension lead should not affect it.

Using the standard telephone extension for you router will result in you getting a lower connection speed than if you had used the Master Socket.

However, you can always give Sky a friendly call (or 3 as not all have access to change the connection settings) and ask someone to manually configure your line once the initial DLM process has completed.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well according to My Sky, DLM started running on the 24th. Must admit my speed has not really increased at all. (didn't have time to post the stats earlier). Phone is being changed over tomorrow, so will post stats on Wednesday after that has happened. Will be ordering a filtered faceplate and a 5m ADSL cable later to give myself the best chance of increasing my speed to hopefully near what I had before.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well these are my router statistics from this morning-it's gone down again! DLM is doing nothing for me other than reducing my speed. Is there any reason why it should be this bad? The only difference in my set up at the moment is that I now have the router in the living room on a telephone extension cable, whereas before it was plugged into a telephone extension socket before in another room. It's getting ridiculous now. I'm certainly going to change the setup because this speed is rubbish. I never expected it to be this bad.

System Up Time: 110:54:49
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 15028 16647 0 236 0 4:19:05
      LAN Up 2875082 1608956 0 0 6 110:54:49
      WLAN Up 1985059 1618540 0 7876 997 110:18:05
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3070 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.5 dB 25.6 dB
      Noise Margin 15.8 dB 12.0 dB

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast