Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sagemcom F@ST2504N Firewall Rules

This is a discussion on Sagemcom F@ST2504N Firewall Rules within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi, is there a limit to the amount of firewall rules I can set up on the Sagemcom F@ST2504N router? ...

berty74 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sagemcom F@ST2504N Firewall Rules

hi, is there a limit to the amount of firewall rules I can set up on the Sagemcom F@ST2504N router?

my previous netgear router from sky allowed as many inbound services as I needed, however this router will not let me add more than 3.

I spoke to sky several times about this, and apart from the majority of the customer services team not having a clue what I was on about, I was eventually told that it was limited to prevent people setting up vpn's.

if this is the case, would anyone be so kind to reccomend a way around this as I am at my wits end?

thanks

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sagemcom F@ST2504N Firewall Rules

I have just added 6 inbound ones?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Thanks

hmmm, sounds like a dodgy router and that sky don't know their a*se from their elbow.

do you know if there is a way to re-flash the router with the latest firmware?
      I've reset it and this doesn't solve it.

thanks...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I was eventually told that it was limited to prevent people setting up vpn's.
      You have been fobbed off. There are many running VPNs and some, in the early days with Sagems, had special firmware downloaded to them to permit it to run. The later Sagems do not require the upgrade.

You are not alone with the problem, although it seems to be restricted to individual routers and not the model in general. As you say Sky are pretty hopeless when it comes to this problem as this post from the official forum shows -
      Sky Help Forum - Faulty Router? Only 1 firewall rule allowed to 1 I... - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum

Could I suggest that you try using Simpleportforwarding and see if that solves the problem. Use the Sagem Fast 2504 setting and it should work OK.
      Simple Port Forwarding | Simple Port Forwarding

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thankyou, I will give that a go.

thanks again...

Jimbo1960 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hornchurch
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi,
      This is not a hijack honest
      I paid to upgrade from my trusty (well at least I knew its limitations) old Netgear to a shiny new Sagem 2504N. All was going fine until I tried to add a couple of firewall rules (in an effort to block my son from the internet until he completes his homework).
      The first one went in without a problem (block everything) but when I tried to add a second (allow all to my IP address) it wouldn’t accept the rule (after selecting apply I was returned to the firewall rules page but the new rule wasn’t listed).
      I spent 30 minutes talking to a call centre agent who knew what I was talking about but his script didn’t allow him to acknowledge that Sky have crippled the router by loading it up with some s**t firmware. After consulting with his “supervisor” he stated they only support a single firewall rule. Even though I pointed out the insanity of this statement he could offer no additional “help”.
      So my question is; can I return this router to stock Sagem firmware after recovering the username/password in an effort to get it to support some basic router functionality (more than a single firewall rule).
      Jimbo

PS: I could add additional rules as long as they were for individual services but when I selected all services the rule wouldn’t take.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo1960 View Post
      This is not a hijack honest
      Hmmm...

So my question is; can I return this router to stock Sagem firmware after recovering the username/password in an effort to get it to support some basic router functionality (more than a single firewall rule).
      Jimbo

PS: I could add additional rules as long as they were for individual services but when I selected all services the rule wouldn’t take.
      From what I have seen, the Sagem 2504N was made specifically for Sky. I doubt if there is any standard firmware available to change it, certainly no one has yet posted anything on this forum to the contrary.

Personally I would suggest that you consider one of the following options:
      • do nothing
      • purchase an ADSL WiFi n router that supports better controls and use instead of the Sagem 2504N
      • purchase a Cable WiFi n router that supports better controls, disable the WiFi on the Sagem and attach the Cable router to it as described in the thread linked below
      Using the DLink DIR613.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Jimbo1960 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hornchurch
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Scubbie,
      Thanks for the response. I think I will go for a variation on your third point.
      Find the old Netgear router in the garage, put it back into service and use the Sagem as a WAP until Sky sort out the firmware - Yes, I know it could be a long wait.

And berty, I apologise it was a hijack but at least it was on a similar theme. I hope you get your issue sorted out but I have a strange feeling.....

Final question (this one is for me and berty).
      (Other than NewsreadeR)Has anyone out there managed to add more than half a dozen firewall rules (for all services) to the 2504N with 5.23.1a4N firmware?
      Last edited by Jimbo1960; 23-02-12 at 11:44 PM. Reason: I didn't read NewsreadeR's original post

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Final question (this one is for me and berty).
      (Other than NewsreadeR)Has anyone out there managed to add more than half a dozen firewall rules (for all services) to the 2504N with 5.23.1a4N firmware?
      I know this wasn't aimed at me, but I did only try 6 the other night.

I have just added 10 with no issues.

Sagemcom F@ST2504N Firewall Rules-rules.jpg

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

If I add a rule Any(ALL) Block Always to 192.168.0.10 and then try to add a second rule, Any(ALL) Block Always to 192.168.0.15 then I can replicate your issues. Is that what you meant?

LinkBacks (?)

1. 20-11-13, 08:21 PM