Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree1Likes

Latency increase switching to SKY

This is a discussion on Latency increase switching to SKY within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I just want to know how it works properly, so I can advise properly Sky Knowledge Advisors and other 'tech' ...

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Latency increase switching to SKY

I just want to know how it works properly, so I can advise properly

Sky Knowledge Advisors and other 'tech' minded folk are telling already worried new users the wrong info, so i sought too find out the truth of how it all works because what I'm being told SHOULD happen to me DOESNT. people worried about MACs being told they dont need one too move onto SVBN when its not true (only if your coming from a fully unbundled provider like Talk Talk would you not require a mac) - and also telling them once phone is live their old ISP will go offline...its all rubbish, specially when moving using MAC, when all the users are concerned about is internet going down for length of time.

also, SKY need to change the sign up process so that it tells people to get a MAC before continuing because once the line request has been accepted by BT (next day) your ISP can not give out a mac code, but we all know why sky wont do that.. "hook,line & sinker" comes to mind hehe... they know the potential customers current ISP will attempt too match SKY's offer and tempt them not too switch...so its in SKY's interests too get people to sign up first, but the process is flawed!! look on their forums, loads of users saying "if i hadnt logged into track order i wouldnt have known I needed a mac code" and loads saying "ive just found out 7 days after signing up, via letter, that I need a mac code, my ISP can not give me one cos the line request has already gone through!" and SKY's solution is too cancel the order , wait 72 hours (so BT get the order cancellation), ISP gives MAC code..then re-sign up... i mean what a carry on, my sign up process said nothing more is required, if it is we will contact you and you have 15 days too supply the information, so just sit back & relax and let us do it all for you...something like that anyway

so whats supposedly happening here now with me is that my SKY phone line isnt really activated, it is just a BT rented line directed through to sky talk? and my line will go full SKY later? well its been 3 days now and i still get BT Line Test on 17070 so how long should it take? (remembering this is probably costing SKY more money this way, so in their best interest to change it over asap)

also, if SKY are moving phones first in this scenario then why did my letter say "if you entered mac code on day of order your broadband will go live first, if you did not enter the mac on day of order then your phone line will be activated first" - this means I had the opportunity to have my SVBN Broadband Unlimited to be activated before the Line was moved over to SKY, however I waited 6 days before entering the MAC code as o2 requested it, this delay caused them to be 1 day apart as the letter said broadband is usually 5-10 days (or was it 10-15) and phone is usually 3 weeks, if SKY were moving phone lines first then i would not have gotten that letter saying so?

I cant wait to see if 17070 stops working or gives me 'Zoe' hehe - is that what 17070 does on your SVBN phone line tom?

be great is a SKY rep and BTo rep could confirm all this instead of guess work.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I cant wait to see if 17070 stops working or gives me 'Zoe' hehe - is that what 17070 does on your SVBN phone line tom?
      Yes, she (or should I say it) says 'Hi, I'm Zoe, I'm here to make sure your phone service is the very best ...etc.' in a very patronising American accent.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

@snadge

Everything I've mentioned was what I knew to be true after 3 YEARS working for Sky Broadband CST. As Tom has said, it was always the way that if moving to the SVBN you would have to wait for the line to go active BEFORE the Broadband order could be placed - meaning downtime between connections. This was why it was always advised to stick with BT as your line provider as to not lose your BB connection but still have SkyTalk as your phone option.

I left CST over 2 years ago so it would appear the process has changed and now the line doesn't have to be moved first before the BB can be provided (as said above). There is nothing more to be asked or answered otherwise it will just become confusing

Do you have a live BB connection with Sky? If you do - great! Stop worrying about it
      Scubbie likes this.
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

i look forward to hearing it hehe

I wonder why this procedure exists?
      where the SKY TALK is supplied over a BT line until SKY PHONE LINE is active..? because SURELY the engineer can move the BT line over to SKY LLU instead of activating SKY TALK over the BT line then having to come back later and move it over to SKY LLu....? seems a bit odd, creating two lots of work? - its like going to the shop for 2 items but only buying 1 knowing you will have to go back for the other.

@ IWasNotTheEnemy
      - Iam not worrying about it lol - as i already said iam trying to find out how it works ...being armed with the correct advice for other people is always the best! so i can tell other users in same boat YES they need a mac code (if on a BT controlled line) YES they will still be online when theyre phone line goes live - it has nothing to do with MY personal circumstances, iam simply using them as a means to justify whats happening with SKY migrations

so it would appear that they have indeed CHANGED the system which is what I suggested ages ago in my original thread about it, yet Sky Advisors still preach the same thing on their H&S Forums (this is why iam trying to find out whats what!)
      Last edited by snadge; 22-02-12 at 06:08 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

so it would appear that they have indeed CHANGED the system which is what I suggested ages ago in my original thread about it, yet Sky Advisors still preach the same thing on their H&S Forums (this is why iam trying to find out whats what!)
      There is nothing unusual about that, the 'advisers' are often the last to hear of any changes. Sky don't like the left hand to know what the right hand is doing

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There is nothing unusual about that, the 'advisers' are often the last to hear of any changes. Sky don't like the left hand to know what the right hand is doing
      I can imagine lol....
      ah well

dj_smurph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: edgware
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The same with all big companies

Thanks

do these Sky Knowledge Advisors (on their forums) work from home or in call center or what?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snadge View Post
      do these Sky Knowledge Advisors (on their forums) work from home or in call center or what?
      They connect to the Official sky forum during working hours as that is a part of their job.

Some also use a specific account on this forum too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      They connect to the Official sky forum during working hours as that is a part of their job.

Some also use a specific account on this forum too.
      ahh right so must be like call center staff that get put onto 'forum' duty (if you like).
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123