Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Latency increase switching to SKY

This is a discussion on Latency increase switching to SKY within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Yes, this part tells you it is " isp.sky.com ". If it were on the old connection it would show ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Latency increase switching to SKY

Yes, this part tells you it is " isp.sky.com ". If it were on the old connection it would show "easynet" here.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

thomasjc1 (21-02-12)

3. Advertisement
      thomasjc1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: plusnet fibre unlimited
      Router: asus rt-n66u
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

thanks for that ive learnt something today

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

well its 8:30pm and still getting BT Line Test on 17070 ...if you were on a BT line would you still get SKY on 150...? I do... surely if I was on BT still I wouldnt get SKY on 150..?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Broadband and phone can be separate until the line has fully moved over
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

well Tom and someone else says that on SVBN its impossible to have your phone line activated and still be on with your old ISP before you broadband is switched over...yet that is exactly what happened to me and many others.

SKY said my phone line was activated yesterday and I was still getting o2 broadband until 3pm today, then my SKY broadband went live, it shows that Iam on SVBN ... therefore if my phone went live yesterday (and is on SVBN) then it is not impossible to be online with your old broadband provider until its switched...but I was and loads of other people are experiencing the same thing on Sky Forums - I understand the EasyNet vs SVBN theory but my exchange was only unbundled a few months ago and they surely would not unbundle an exchange with older EasyNet hardware... and my broadband connection confirms that it is indeed SVBN, yet if my line was still BT (not yet switched) then dialling 150 would not take me to SKY it would put me through to BT - it seems to me that if the MAC system is used (when your broadband is supplied over a BT controlled line) then you can indeed be online with your broadband regardless of sky switching the phone line over UNTIL the broadband is actually moved across - but when MAC system is not used (coming from fully unbundled providers like Talk Talk) then you have to terminate one service to start the other and there could be some downtime with both phone or broadband is both services are not terminated (old provider) and started (new provider) on same day.

we'll see... I will keep checking 17070, but like i say 150 has been putting me through to SKY since yesterday

Thanks

You can have Sky line rental (and as such Sky 150) without actually being on the SVBN - that's just a system setting. Moving the phone line to full SVBN could take a day or so longer

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      You can have Sky line rental (and as such Sky 150) without actually being on the SVBN - that's just a system setting. Moving the phone line to full SVBN could take a day or so longer
      I appreciate what your saying and all but sounds a bit conflicting to what everyone else has been telling me,
      so how does this work? ...you stay on BT's line but they pass all the charges and 150 numbers through to SKY network until they move you over onto SVBN? just doesnt seem right to me? why would BT do that when your leaving them to go with SKY? it would either be ALL BT or ALL SKY and not some hybrid phone connection?

also 3rd day and iam still getting BT Line Test on 17070

it sounds too me like its as simple as "you can still get your old ISP once your phone line is switched...SVBN or not...until the BB is switched then you can not get ANY isp other than sky"

be interesting to see how this pans out

Thanks

If Openreach are told to do it they do it - remember BT is made up of separate companies these days and have no say in what the other does. Openreach maintain lines and move things over physically

Once the line is on the physical Sky Network you won't be able to get any other BB without moving the line back to BT (or the new provider if they also do what Sky does, e.g. TalkTalk)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Once the line is on the physical Sky Network you won't be able to get any other BB without moving the line back to BT (or the new provider if they also do what Sky does, e.g. TalkTalk)
      which is what ive always said... what im trying to say is that everyman and his dog says its impossible to be activated with your sky phone line (SVBN) and be online with your old isp when you used a MAC code right up until broadband switch , ONCE THE PHONE LINE GOES OVER YOU WILL LOSE YOUR BROADBAND IF SKY BROADBAND IS NOT ACTIVATED AND YOU DONT NEED A MAC CODE WHEN GOING ONTO SVBN - yet loads of people including myself have had this happen, yet iam being put onto SVBN (or is already on SVBN) and I had o2 / SKY phone all day monday and half day tuesday and me and many others had to enter a MAC code!

the purpose being that loads of people are being told on SKY H&S forums that they will experience bb downtime even when they have used a mac if their phone line is activated first on SVBN...when this is not true (look at me and many others) - and also people are asking why they have to get a mac when the sign up process did not inform them and sky advisors and other sky techs are saying "you wont need a mac, its rare" ...its all horse manure IMO, its 'rare' you dont need a mac (i.e. switching from Talk Talk to SKY) - if your isp is over a BT controlled phone line then your gunna need a MAC code as its bound to use the system. doesnt matter if the ISP your moving too is full LLU or not... I had to enter a MAC code coming from BT/o2 but my neighbours did not (coming from talk talk) which further strengthens what I say. BT controlled phone lines require mac to shift the broadband.. and thus your will be online with current ISP right up until day of broadband switch even if your sky phone line is activated, svbn or not... just look at me and many others.

all i know is I get SKY telling me my line is activated, iam on SVBN and i had my old o2 on it until i was switched over for SKY broadband.... for over 24 hours, so SKY are lying to me and my phone line is not activated then? iam REALLY still with BT....hmmmmm dunno about that like

I got letter from SKY before this (knowing full well i was going onto SVBN) stating :- we require a MAC code, if you entered the code then its ok ignore this letter, if you entered mac code on same day as order then your broadband will be activated first, if your entered your mac code later then your phone line will be activated first.

we'll see.... infact I think I will ring BT now and ask them if Iam still on their system.

edit: i should perhaps make it clear that iam not trying to prove you can go with another ISP on SKY svbn,,,you cant!! what iam trying to find out is you can still be online with uyour old ISP even after your SKY line is activated so you experience no downtime with broadband - then SKY BB is activated afterwards (which is what my letter fro SKY states), because loads of people are being told "no you cant..if your sky phone line is activated first you will lose your old ISP" - and being told "you dont require a mac if its SVBN" and its all rubbish!! ive seen it with my own experiences of switching over as has many other new users ive spoke to over there and one user on here -> we/they dont really care WHO has control pf the phone line...as long as broadband has no or little downtime...thats the whole point here

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

we/they dont really care WHO has control pf the phone line...as long as broadband has no or little downtime...thats the whole point here
      Exactly!!! It is the experience on this forum that when a new user switched to Sky and wanted both phone and broadband, in the past the phone was activated first. This led to a wait of up to 10 days before the broadband could be activated. When moving like this a MAC was not required. This you will understand did not go down too well with users. As I suggested before, to get round this Sky now appear to be moving the phone first on to a Shared Metal Path, ie it is still a BT line rented by Sky and activating the broadband on that line. To do this a MAC is required. When that is done they can move the phone line at their leisure.

This may seem convoluted to you but it has 2 big advantages, first is that a MAC can be used to switch from the old ISP so there is no question of disconnection fees being applied. Last and not least, it means that the services can be switched with no downtime to the user.

Sky have obviously taken to heart the many complaints they received from customers who had to wait 7-10 days for their broadband to be activated.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast