Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Unrealistic speed estimate?

This is a discussion on Unrealistic speed estimate? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by dj_smurph The best thing i ever done with my sky broadband was to follow the advice on ...

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Unrealistic speed estimate?

Quote Originally Posted by dj_smurph View Post
      The best thing i ever done with my sky broadband was to follow the advice on this forum when my dlm had finished. I was left with 6meg(or there abouts) i now enjoy a 12meg line. All it took was a free 10min phonecall. Now i am looking forward to getting my sky fibre installed next wednesday and shareing my experiences with my fellow forum users if I or them have any problens with the switch, like they helped me 12 months ago.

There is a vast amount of knowledge on here dont scoff before you try.
      is that 12Mb sync or 12Mb throughput (speeds in speedtest)

why is it that if your line is capable of 12Mbps - their DLM would stick you on a poor 6Mb profile? - just my DLM is active and has gone from the fixed 4Mb profile to a 6Mb one like yours did..yet my line is capable of 16,000k-17,000k sync , yeah I know DLM aint finished but in dj_smurphs case it was...?
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

2. Advertisement
      dj_smurph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: edgware
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

12meg sync with about 10.5 throughput. Cant answer that question abiut hte dlm but sky sorted the sync speed with no hassel.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

why is it that if your line is capable of 12Mbps - their DLM would stick you on a poor 6Mb profile? - just my DLM is active and has gone from the fixed 4Mb profile to a 6Mb one like yours did..yet my line is capable of 16,000k-17,000k sync , yeah I know DLM aint finished but in dj_smurphs case it was...?
      Probably due to a glitch on the line during testing. DLM seems to be very sensitive and will reduce the speed if the noise margin drops too much or the router is disconnected too often. On the other side, if you have a very good line, DLM can set it higher than can be done manually. Speeds of 22-23Mb are not unknown. The maximum that can be set manually on the SVBN is 20Mb which usually comes across as 19999 kbps.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Probably due to a glitch on the line during testing. DLM seems to be very sensitive and will reduce the speed if the noise margin drops too much or the router is disconnected too often. On the other side, if you have a very good line, DLM can set it higher than can be done manually. Speeds of 22-23Mb are not unknown. The maximum that can be set manually on the SVBN is 20Mb which usually comes across as 19999 kbps.
      aye i should have thought of that myself.. flappy line etc (rebootin router TRYING to get higher speeds during DLM), thanks Tom
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

If you reboot your rooter too often, DLM interprets this as a line fault and will reduce your connection speed.

Xizor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Just to get back on subject, I've had a look at the Sky Help Forum and I must say it looks bad! Nothing but people moaning about missing routers, cancelled orders and ****** up connections!

To be honest, it looks worse than TalkTalk! I know the forum is where people take their problems, but it seems as if Sky are struggling to cope with demand. Particularly after the recent half price offer.

I don't hold out much hope of me being able to retain my phone number, let alone get a decent connection without a lengthy down time.

I'm worried
      Last edited by Scubbie; 24-02-12 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Removed swear word

Xizor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Sorry you had to edit my post, Scubbie.

To my eyes those *'s look worse than the fairly inoffensive word I used!

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

You've answered your own worries, really. Forums aren't going to be typically frequented by customers who have no problems with their service, which is the majority of Sky customers.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

It was a quick edit, don't panic.

As User05 has stated, people don't really look to forums because everything is working well. They tend to look when there is a problem that they would like to resolve. I first visited SkyUser so that I could use my own router as Sky's hadn't arrived.

Those who contribute on this forum try to provide answers to many of the issues that can plague people. There are many common themes, but at the same time this forum has been a great place to find out what is happening in the world of Satellite TV, Telephony and Broadband for the UK and Ireland (sadly only TV for them).

To break the repetitive nature we also have a few areas for discussing other things. Do check out the Community channel. Being a Friday, there is the The official It's Friday thread .......

Any way, the truth is that the majority of customers get moved across to Sky with very few problems. I don't have any current figures for you, but there are over 3 Million different connections on Sky Broadband. Well over 1 Million are on Sky's LLU equipment alone.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

i signed up 3 weeks ago and it went without a hitch...right in the middle of the "rush" - router was 3 days after date of dispatch (which was day after entering my MAC) and i had 5 minutes broadband downtime on day of switch..my phone line was switched first because i waited a week before entering my MAC (as requested by o2), i still had o2, then broadband switched next day...so far i SEEM to be void of the congestion problems that others are having, but early days as Iam on DLM too, pings have been a little jittery tonight but nothing serious.

yet my neighbours waited 2weeks after activation to get their routers having to call 3 times and each time they said they send a new one out. these were an 80 yr old couple, they asked me around to call SKY to try and sort it and try to setup another router but as I was there the postman arrived with it. phew! I had recommended SKY to them...lol

if I were you I would move to SKY but WAIT a while... let the router backlog ease from the TV offer and give them time to address the congestion problems (which are for a small amount of users)
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast