Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Unrealistic speed estimate?

This is a discussion on Unrealistic speed estimate? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; just too add: at my old address I had Line Attenuation of 39db (your is 40db) and could get 13,000k ...

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Unrealistic speed estimate?

just too add:

at my old address I had Line Attenuation of 39db (your is 40db) and could get 13,000k Sync Rate (about 11.5Mbps actual throughput) on standard 6db SNR, I could tweak that too 16,000k (about 13Mbps actual throughput) by tweaking the SNR

so while 19Mbps is totally unrealistic, 10-11Mbps is not, even on default SNR, but it depends on the hardware used too, Im not sure what chipset SKY uses but if you get a router with matching chipset it usually best for the connection, this was the case for my connection at the time which was Broadcom chipset router and Dslam

anyway you are in good hands here and SKY are a much better provider than Talk Talk (who were recently fined for being the most complained about ISP / or not sorting out complaints, but they are still carry more complaints than any other ISP)

I advised my neighbours to switch to SKY from Talk Talk as they had problems - they said it was best thing they ever did , no more problems with connection.

2. Advertisement
      Xizor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Thanks for your input snadge.

I am aware of TalkTalks bad reputation, but to be fair I have never had any trouble with them.

The telephone customer service is not great. However, they do have an excellent members forum, which is staffed by knowledgeable people who will bend over backwards to try and help you.

Does Sky have a similar forum?

dj_smurph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: edgware
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

yes here
      Scubbie likes this.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xizor View Post
      However, they do have an excellent members forum, which is staffed by knowledgeable people who will bend over backwards to try and help you.

*cough* *cough* You're on it lol
      Scubbie likes this.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

^^ Unofficially though of course.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Thanks for your input snadge.

I am aware of TalkTalks bad reputation, but to be fair I have never had any trouble with them.

The telephone customer service is not great. However, they do have an excellent members forum, which is staffed by knowledgeable people who will bend over backwards to try and help you.

Talk Talk have actually picked up a bit as far as their connections go...or so was the case 18-24 months ago or so.. yes i know of their forums, great as mods there can access accounts, pretty quickly too, my sister was with them and had a right nightmare but turned out too be ringwire and the staff on forum lowered the SNR once i removed the ringwire and her speed went from 1Mb to 3.5Mb, ironically she moved home & switched to SKY connect and it was so bad she is now back with talk talk at new address and things are better - youtube no longer freezes, but thats cos Talk Talk can supply ADSL2 on that line which helps in her case.. Talk Talk vs SKY connect: talk talk always wins..

there are some Sky Advisors that use this forum but how often I do not know, the users on here will bend over backwards too help but dont have access to accounts, SKY have a Help & Support forum thats staffed by Sky Knowledge Advisors who do have access to accounts but I find it takes them 24-72 hours to reply anyway, the forum itself isnt very good and a bit sluggish and feature lacking...but it works..

Sky Help Forum - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum

they also have a live-chat link but as far as I know there is no live chat yet for broadband although some advisors who are knowledgable will discuss broadband and access your account to try to help but some wont.

SKY's H&S Forum certainly isnt effective as This Forum or Talk Talk's forum... I find its best to post on SKY's forum and here, you will get a quick solid answer here that will fix your problem 9/10 - but if not and its something that requires account access then use their forums, live chat, email or phone
      NewsreadeR likes this.
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Xizor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

I didn't mean to run down this forum at all, it's good, but it's not official. The TT forum is and the staff on there can access your account, which makes all the difference.

They've now put me on a 6db profile and although faster (9051Kbps), is a bit 'flaky'. I may have to go back to the 9db profile. To do that I just need to make a request on the forum and it's done, usually within 24hrs.

Is that sort of service available on the Sky network?

dj_smurph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: edgware
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks

The best thing i ever done with my sky broadband was to follow the advice on this forum when my dlm had finished. I was left with 6meg(or there abouts) i now enjoy a 12meg line. All it took was a free 10min phonecall. Now i am looking forward to getting my sky fibre installed next wednesday and shareing my experiences with my fellow forum users if I or them have any problens with the switch, like they helped me 12 months ago.

There is a vast amount of knowledge on here dont scoff before you try.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

The Official Sky forum (linked in post #16 above) is staffed by both Sky's Staff and many volunteers. You will only get the official responses when it comes to some topics though, such as using your own router. For that this forum, I trust, is an excellent resource.

We were discussing the full specs & prices of the Sagem 2504N before the Sky forum was, so you could say that we are a little ahead of the Sky forum in some topics.

Is that sort of service available on the Sky network?
      Totally unmetered 20mb broadband that works 24/7, with no peak time reduction in speed.

I would love to have Fibre, but it is still to be made available where I live.

As for contacting Sky, the only big issues I have had were when I tried to speak to someone on the phone about Sky's SBUF product recently. The amount of bad information was a joke. Otherwise dealing with Sky has been absolutely fine.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Im new too SKY myself... only been live a few days.

SKY dont change SNR profiles upon request, BUT, if your using a router that allows SNR to be changed from within (or DMT tool with compat router) you can adjust it yourself, i use Netgear DG834GT and can lower or rasie SNR myself

on request SKY will
      1. put you on gaming profile which reduces interleaving depth on your line and reducing pings to about 20ms
      2. change your download speed profile to a higher one if you know your line will support it
      I have heard that some advisor will and some wont...just depends on who you get through too...

which exchange are you on...? if you look on SKY's forums there seems to be a lot of users with peak time congestion problems in certain areas, probably due to 6 months free demand but it will be sorted out asap
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast