Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Router syncing at 8mb before christmas now down to 5mb

This is a discussion on Router syncing at 8mb before christmas now down to 5mb within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Unfortunately it looks like you have a poor external line. The noise margin seems to be going down with the ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Router syncing at 8mb before christmas now down to 5mb

Unfortunately it looks like you have a poor external line. The noise margin seems to be going down with the sun. If you download and install Routerstats Lite, it will probably show your noise margin peaking in the morning then gradually dropping as the day goes on. Click = Internet Software
      Last edited by Isitme; 20-02-12 at 09:31 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      warrmr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks guys

@isitme I am running a mac and have got it installed under Wine but it will not communicate with my network, I have got it working under VMware but i dont fancy leaving vmware running on my laptop for to long as it causes it to heat up quite abit. CPU is @65c and will shoot up to around 75C very soon dont be concerned about the heat on Macs its quite normal for the fans to stay idle until it is on the brink of overheating. According to apple i should worry if i ever hit 100c.

Do you know of anyway to get this router stats program running on an embedded linux box or freenas as i am happy to leave it running for a few days.

Or do you know of a way to monitor this with the Syslog-ng daemon.

Thanks

Matt

Thanks

The only info on running it with Linux is in this Tutorial from Kitz, I don't know if it will help as I have no knowledge of Macs and very little of Linux.

How to run Routerstats in Linux

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have finally managed to get router stats working with Wine. It has noted that my noise margin fluctuates between 8db and 10db

I am still plugged into the test socket behind the master.

Matt
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router syncing at 8mb before christmas now down to 5mb-rx-noise.jpg  

Thanks

It is actually going between 7 and 10 mb and that is just over about 80mins. It looks like your have a fault on the line or it is being effected by REIN. Have a look at this article by Kitz and see if it gives you any ideas.
      ::. Kitz - REIN .::

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

I dont want to speak to soon but I think i have cracked the Noise thing on the line.

I was looking in to ADSL filter face plates and noticed on the guides that there are wires that come through the hole and into the back of the faceplate mine doesnt do this. I have just checked and it appears that my extentions were wired directly into the A and B port on the back of the NTE5 socket.

I have removed the extention wire from there and it now goes into pins 2 and 5 on the back of the NTE5 faceplate.

The other thing i think may have contributed to the noise is the 1571 service i tend to ignore internupted dial tone but i think that noise may interfere with the ADSL signal somehow.

So far i have been plugged in 14 mins and the noise margin is steady i will leave routerstats running for a while and see what happens.

System Up Time 00:14:39
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 5300 5544 0 1343 6530 00:13:33
      LAN 10M/100M 13699 14102 0 9662 2502 00:14:34
      WLAN 11M/54M 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5019 kbps 797 kbps
      Line Attenuation 46 db 13 db
      Noise Margin 12 db 13 db

Thanks

I have just checked and it appears that my extentions were wired directly into the A and B port on the back of the NTE5 socket.
      Apologies for that. One of the diagnostic questions we usually ask is, do your extensions work with the faceplate removed? Obviously yours do/did and that would have pointed to the problem. You are looking good for around 7+Mb when the cap is lifted.

You would do well to invest in a filtered faceplate, which would isolate your extensions from the broadband signal.
      BT NTE-2005 ADSL Faceplate for NTE5, 6 Way Version

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Apologies for that. One of the diagnostic questions we usually ask is, do your extensions work with the faceplate removed? Obviously yours do/did and that would have pointed to the problem. You are looking good for around 7+Mb when the cap is lifted.

You would do well to invest in a filtered faceplate, which would isolate your extensions from the broadband signal.
      BT NTE-2005 ADSL Faceplate for NTE5, 6 Way Version
      I will be ordering one of those faceplates come payday as that is what the tech at Sky recommended as well when i spoke to them the other day.

As for the cap will that be released automatically when it is proved that the line is stable or will I have to call sky again. As I think the tech applied a line profile with a 6676k limit.

dj_smurph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: edgware
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You will need to phone sky although dlm may kick in again.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think i might have spoken to soon, the line noise was relatively stable until 5pm then it dropped right down to 7db and has been hovering between 7 and 12 since.I will repost once I have the ADSL faceplate in hand and installed. Router syncing at 8mb before christmas now down to 5mb-rx.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast