Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I use my Netgear GT or SKY Sagemcom for first 10 days?

This is a discussion on Should I use my Netgear GT or SKY Sagemcom for first 10 days? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; well I finally got my router bang on 3 days after they said it was sent... so far I have ...

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Should I use my Netgear GT or SKY Sagemcom for first 10 days?

well I finally got my router bang on 3 days after they said it was sent... so far I have to admit SKY have been spot on.
      my activation date for both is next Tuesday (well broadband letter said 'should be up & running' by Tuesday 21st, my phone line was 20th but then it was moved forward to 21st..im thinking because to get both on same day)

I plan to use my Netgear DG834GT with DGteam firmware so I can lower the SNR which I currently use on o2 LLu @ 2-3db with Line Attenuation at 26db I get a 19,000k sync

my question is : should I use the SKY supplied router for the first ten days ... or not?

the router is the sagemcom fastn thing.. also, what chipset does this use? is it broadcom?

thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Should I use my Netgear GT or SKY Sagemcom for first 10 days?

Which ever router you use, i would not recommend that you tweak the noise margins until DLM has completed. To do so would mess up your potential connection speed.

Personally I would plumb for the Sagem 2504N as it's WiFi should be faster, the chipset may be matched to the equipment in your exchange and from experience, routers do loose their connection speed over their lifetime.

Of course I may be proven wrong about the connection speed in your instance.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

thanks scubbie

unfortunately both wifi devices are wireless-G so would not be any real difference if used sagemcom wireless-N

ive heard of SKY capping speed.. what happens here? my Line Atten is 26db - it should be the same with SKY (may change slightly) I normally get about 16,500k sync on default SNR - if this is what I get on SKY after 10 days will SKY cap it at that so that I cant tweak it any higher?

thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snadge View Post
      unfortunately both wifi devices are wireless-G so would not be any real difference if used sagemcom wireless-N
      It could help as WiFi n routers broadcast at a stronger signal strength. I don't know how good the Netgear DG834GT is by comparison, but you could use inSSIDer to check. This should mean that you get a better connection speed further from the router.

Quote Originally Posted by snadge View Post
      ive heard of SKY capping speed.. what happens here? my Line Atten is 26db - it should be the same with SKY (may change slightly) I normally get about 16,500k sync on default SNR - if this is what I get on SKY after 10 days will SKY cap it at that so that I cant tweak it any higher?
      Essentially each ISP works in a different way when it comes to establishing connection speeds. O2 uses a target noise margin of around 5dB, Sky uses 7dB.

If you take a look at my connection stats below you will see that I am just shy of the full 20mb speed. I can tweak my connection speed, but as it is capped at this speed, I cannot get it to go any faster. I guess that if I were on an ADSL24 connection I would be able to get something like 22mb, but what I have is fine as I don't have any errors.

If you were uncapped and adjusted your connection speed, there is a possibility that you could introduce errors as the line may not be capable of supporting them.

Sky has selected 7dB as it is overall more stable for a greater number of lines than 5dB would be.

If you could post your current router stats, perhaps we can see better what is going on at the moment.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

O2 TNM is 6db isnt it?...unless they have changed it.
      and I'm sure you still have to have wireless-N devices to take advantage of the further range too, the sagecom will detect my devices as 'G' and therefore drop into 'g' 54Mbps mode. I already sync at full 54Mbps on G mode. even if 1 device was Wireless N and 1 was Wireless G then both would have to operate under G, but hey if I get stronger signal then i will use it

its wierd that SKY do not allow to go past the 19999k connection sync on ADSL2+ if your line supports it, they seem to cap all connections as that as the MAX connection as the package is upto 20Mb, my friend is also capped at 19999k with a really low LA - other ISPs let you go beyond that, ive seen connection rates of 26,000k+ before on ADSL2+

as I already mentioned my Line Attenuation is 26db , I have just set 'default SNR 100%' and it came in at 6.6db with a 16,996k sync speed , I normally tweak to 2-3db SNR and get 18,600k or so (I can get 19,200k on 1.9db and works fine but I prefer to keep the SNR above 2.5db just for good measure).. gives me 1-2Mb more speed in speedtests, never have any problems with noise and errors, pings are 29ms - I would like to keep in tune with this tweaking on SKY (after 10 days DLM of course) but ive heard of people being capped at set speeds like 16Mb - and having to ring up to get them "uncapped" so they can get more speed either by tweaking or simply cos their line supports it but SKY have capped at lower rate.

I just want freedom of being able to decide for myself whether or not a 2-3db SNR Margin works good or not rather than SKY fixing the connection speed to 16Mb (or whatever the line supports on 7db) like ive heard they have done.

here are my stats:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 18673 kbps 1304 kbps
      Line Attenuation 26.0 db 9.4 db
      Noise Margin 2.7 db 7.2 db

that inSSIDer is a great tool..only discovered it other week, I will use it on the sagemcom and see what the signal strength is, this PC (in fixed location) is on Wifi synced at 54Mbps and inSSIDer says the signal from router is around 55db - it varies from about 53db to 60db when people walk about room and open/close doors as router is in halway next too back door, direct line of sight there is 2 walls and staircase

I also have a 108Mbps wifi stick as GT is 108Mbps compat but I had problems with it (i may retry with inssider and see what that says)

no idea what the chipset is in sagemcom? or what chipset SKY uses?
      at moment broadcom is on both ends of my o2, router and exchange

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

its wierd that SKY do not allow to go past the 19999k connection sync on ADSL2+ if your line supports it,
      I have seen some Sky connections being set to 22Mb+ by DLM. The equipment does not allow it to be set above 20Mb manually which is the maximum Sky advertise.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

im looking forward to trying out Anytime+... need home adapters from my sis first

thomasjc1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: plusnet fibre unlimited
      Router: asus rt-n66u
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

yes as you know snadge it was me that my sync was set at 16383 and i think it was isitme that told me last year to call sky and get them to uncap which they did no problem and my sync then went up to 19999.

so scubbie was yours at 19999 from the start or did you have to uncap

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I would stick with the Sky router as if you had any issues it would be a lot less of a problem when you contacted Sky support.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thomasjc1 View Post
      so scubbie was yours at 19999 from the start or did you have to uncap
      I had a few problems when I was first connected. I had to connect my own router, without any log on details, until a router arrived. It eventually arrived after the initial training period, so I called to ensure that the line was set up fine.

I have tried to get the cap raised above the 20mb limit, but apparently the equipment in my exchange doesn't allow for it to be done easily. I wanted to push my router above the 20mb limit, but sadly can't.

As for actual connection speed, using the Netgear DG934G, I would connect at a slower speed, around 19,400kbps. When this was replaced with a Sagem 2304n I was able to achieve the full 19,999kbps. I can't recall what I got with the Netgear DGN2000.

With my DGND3700, the current firmware slows the connection down to around 19,600. By using Telnet, I can tweak the settings a little to get it back up to 19,999kbps and also raise the upload to between 1150 and 1172kbps. I am sure that I could get this higher if I wasn't capped at 20mb. If you look at the figures below you can see that there is more potential on my line.

Current detailed connection stats:
      PHP Code:
      Max:    Upstream rate 1153 KbpsDownstream rate 22560 Kbps
      Bearer
      0Upstream rate 1157 KbpsDownstream rate 19998 Kbps
      Link Power State
      :       L0
      Mode
      :                   ADSL2+
      TPS-TC:                 ATM Mode
      Trellis
      :                U:ON /D:ON
      Line Status
      :            No Defect
      Training Status
      :        Showtime
                      Down            Up
      SNR 
      (dB):        6.1             9.3
      Attn
      (dB):        17.5            10.0
      Pwr
      (dBm):        18.5            12.1 
      Edit: It wasn't Sky's fault for the router being late, it was Royal Mail's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast