Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Customer

This is a discussion on New Customer within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I recently signed up for sky broadband connect which I am lead to believe is upto 8Mb I have checked ...

Christopher is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sacriston
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New Customer

I recently signed up for sky broadband connect which I am lead to believe is upto 8Mb

I have checked out all the tests with dslzoneuk.net and I am apparantly meant to be able to get 8Mbps on my exchange and also i did the ADSL MAX Speed test entering noise margains etc. and it came out as 6.5 - 7.5Mbps.

I am currently waiting to be switched over to sky broadband but am on BT until that happens (waiting for the router)

with BT i only ever connected at 1Mbps, which sucks, I hope to get a better deal speed wise with sky, I am only 800 Meters from my exchange so that shouldn't really be an issue, anyhow?

What kind of problems can I expect, I was scowering the web last night and managed to find nothing but alot of bad comments relating to sky broadband (alot of them from august september) I am hoping it has settled down now and the installation is straight forward?

I am also aware sky are using a netgear router DG834GT, this router is a 108Mbps router, is the sky branded version capable of 108Mbps? if it is i might consider going for a PCI card capable of this speed.

As for switching over with a MAC code, i read last night that the dates were all messed up and lines weren't being switched over when they should, is this still the case, I really dont want any trouble, had enough of that with BT (but thats another story)

I guess i just want to know, is it reliable and will it be better than BT, and more importantly will it work out of the box?

TIA

Chris

2. Advertisement
      StevieBoy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Reading
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      TBH Chris you will find alot of indifferent views at the moment and it really does depend on an individual's personal experience.I think it would be fair comment to say that it can be a bit of a lottery during this teething period.However I'd like to think that once the initial onslaught is out of the way a decent and reliable service will be the order of the day.I mean they, i.e Sky, haven't gone far wrong with the digital stuff etc have they.So all the best with your endeavours and if you have any questions in the future,particularly techy ones, then this is the forum to visit.The mods on this board are excellent.

Andy_G is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAROC
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      I'll try to answer some of your questions.
      As you are so close to the exchange you should get very close to 8MB speeds all being well.

The sky branded DG834GT is capable of 108Mbps. It's rebranded with sky firmware but is essentially exactly the same as the netgear.

As for reliability, well for me personally it has been rock solid so far, but there have been teething problems reported by some users.

You may experience some delays in activation, it's impossible to say really as I'm sure this differs with your locality etc.
      For me the whole process was very straight forward, router arrived in a couple of days, plugged it all in and when my line was activated I was online instantly.
      So I think for most users it works out of the box.

Good luck and I hope it all goes smoothly for you..

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site Chris

Looking at your exchange info you are only able to get the Connect package but as you seem to be quite close to it then you should see very good speeds providing you don't have wiring problems internal or external that is.

As you have said and seen there have been a lot of problems had by a lot of members with activations delays and router problems etc, in saying that there have been a lot of happy members as well who have had little or no trouble its swings and roundabouts I'm afraid.

As you are switching for IP Stream Home to IP Stream Max Adsl you will probably find little or no down time as the bulk of the issues relate to moving over to Easynets LLU equipment from the BT equipment.

The Netgear router DG834GT can do 108Mbps.

You can alway look at the BT Checker
      Order tracking: Landline orders You will need to register if you don't already have an account.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

BT Tracker??

Can someone tell me the website address of the BT Tracker people are going on about to check the migration information when moving to skyBB

I found a website

http://www.bt.com/customerservices/c...K&obsOID=96563

but not sure if thats the correct one?

Also do i login to the tracker using my existing BT broadband username and password or what?

Just wanted to check it out, received nothing from sky as i placed order on friday so this is just me being curious on a sunday afternoon when I have time to spare.

Any help appreciated

Chris

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I have already given you the URL and if you already have an account then just use that to login
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

oh sorry really i didn't see that

Logged in found my date, thanks so much :-)

17th October.. seems a while away but oh well
      Last edited by Christopher; 08-10-06 at 05:43 PM. Reason: found solution

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      NP Chris

At least you have an idea as to when now so good luck for the 17th
      Ray

click here

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

"We weren't able to retrieve your order information. This could be a temporary system issue, please try again later."

when i login to sky order tracker a CHANGE is there, when i clicked view details, i get the above message, i know this isn't normal, could it affect my order in anyway?

Andy_G is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAROC
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      @Christopher
      Don't worry about that message at all.
      I, (and some others on here) had the same message right up to activation day and it didn't affect anything.
      In fact I had that message up until a day after I was activated and then the details showed up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast