Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Like Tree2Likes

New sky broadband is slow and pings are high

This is a discussion on New sky broadband is slow and pings are high within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If you only went live on the 15th, then DLM is certainly running on your line, whether your web page ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: New sky broadband is slow and pings are high

If you only went live on the 15th, then DLM is certainly running on your line, whether your web page says so or not. After the training period is complete you will probably see a big improvement.

you can check for congestion here Exchange Status Checker
      That's only really useful for BT connections, Sky use a completely different set up.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Alex20 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shrewsbury (WNSY)
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you only went live on the 15th, then DLM is certainly running on your line, whether your web page says so or not. After the training period is complete you will probably see a big improvement.

That's only really useful for BT connections, Sky use a completely different set up.
      DLM has started now, but this issue appeared on day one before DLM even started.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

DLM has started now, but this issue appeared on day one before DLM even started.
      That's why DLM training is run, to sort out problems like this. You can be sure, you connection will be as good as, if not better than it was with TalkTalk. Do you know if you were on ADSL2+ with TT, or G.DMT?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

flamey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EACOL
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Nothing to do with your exchange or DLM/router/line or such- it's a sky backhaul issue specifically the second hop in the network before it reaches the backbone.

I think it's possibly a hardware issue rather than a bandwidth one though - as most people with this issue don't tend to get decreased throughput but rather a delay in packets caused by heavy load at a specific node thus the ping increase.

Rest assured, other exchanges near to you in the area will also be affected by this as they will usually be routed through the same gateway hop so hopefully it will be picked up quickly.
      Last edited by flamey; 22-02-12 at 03:57 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to flamey For This Useful Post:

Alex20 (22-02-12)

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      you can check for congestion here Exchange Status Checker
      isnt that just for BT's side on IPstream? - if he's on SKY Unlimited (SKY's own equipment) wouldnt he be void of that checker..? - if SKY have congestion on their side of it it probably wont show on there.

I think it would be best to wait for the 2 weeks of line training to finish, because (as you have found out) you can not get SKY to do ANYTHING until then anyway - i know of few people just starting with SKY getting high pings then go low later.

NEVER go off speedtest.net's website for the pings as it is ALWAYS incorrect, you should go off CMD Prompt or use pingtest.net

SKY state that if they dont supply you with reasonable speeds then you can leave without charge inside the first 30 days (or 3 months is it?)

...just checking but you ARE on unlimited @ 7.50 arent you? and not Connect @ 17.99
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

8. The Following User Says Thank You to snadge For This Useful Post:

Alex20 (22-02-12)

Alex20 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shrewsbury (WNSY)
      Router: SR102
      Thanks

I am on everyday lite right now as I had hopped to go for skys fibre in april but I am just sick of sky right now, its gotten much worse this evening with both pings going high and speeds dropping.

I always use command prompt and tracert for ping testing.

I am just wondering now that becuase I am on skys backhaul no other broadband providers websites will reconise my phone number. For example when I had aol/talktalk I could put my phone number into their fibre checker and it would show when fibre was going to be available in my are. now it shows nothing, same goes for BT's checker it just does not recognise my phone number.

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

SKY now own the line and can not be used with BT checkers (as far as Im aware) - however, you should have had the same with Talk Talk , if you had phone & broadband through talk talk then CPW own the line and you should have had similar result - was it actually AOL you were with on a BT line..?

anyway, you will not be able to get another provider if your phone line is through SKY, you would have to move back with BT...what a faff on!! its a dice throw isnt it!! I have just gone live myself and have 4Mb sync (which is normal for first day) and pings of 50ms (coming from o2 with 28ms pings) which im not happy about but ive spoke to others and they said their line was same..higher ping during DLM/10-day - soon as sync rate shot up the pings dropped...so im also having to wait it out and see what happens. I hope Iam not stuck with 50ms pings - I can tell just from web page load times that the line is under performing compared to o2 and its more the ping than 4Mb.

in your case flamey says it sounds like a fault and should be affecting a few nearby exchanges and therefore should be picked up soon. hopefully it will.
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234