Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wireless Home Plug

This is a discussion on Wireless Home Plug within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am not sure why Scubbie is recommending wireless extenders and then says don't use them to connect by wireless. ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless Home Plug

I am not sure why Scubbie is recommending wireless extenders and then says don't use them to connect by wireless. That is what wireless extenders do. Stick with your thought and get 2 homeplugs and an N router, you will not go wrong. N routers have a much better coverage than the G ones, as I said before you might not even need the wireless on the Sky router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

lol - Sorry, this is a topic that we will each have different solutions for.

In fairness it comes down to your budget, practical access to things such as Ethernet cables or HomePlugs and what you intend to do now and in the future.

A Wireless Extender would connect to the first router via WiFi normally, but can be connected via an Ethernet port. Although you have a dead-zone, it could be placed somewhere within the Sky router's WiFi range in order to extend the signal. The disadvantage with connecting it via WiFi in your current case is that it would slow down to 54Mb/s when talking to the Sky router.

Using an old or new WiFi router would produce a similar result if connected via the HomePlugs.

How to connect two Routers together

Extending your Home Network

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Bolly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

thanks again for your help and advice guys. I have come to some kind of decision. I think I will first off buy the tp link 300mbps wireless N router. Piggyback them together and switch off the wireless on sky router. I will then be able to see how strong the wireless N router signal is. The write-up on the site suggests x15 speed and x5 the range of most 11g products. A bold statement. Perhaps this will cure my black spot being a better router and all.
      If I still have issues then home plugs it is. Back on with sky wireless. Homeplug the Tp Link router upstairs and let that broadcast its signal for my devices upstairs to connect to.

PS Scubbie how on earth do you manage to get such speeds on your network 17mg!!!! mine is barely 7

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bolly View Post
      PS Scubbie how on earth do you manage to get such speeds on your network 17mg!!!! mine is barely 7
      I am lucky, my line length is around 800m. The quality of the line is also very good, despite someone hacking the trunk cable a few years ago. There are several members who are on the same package and have a better connection speed. I leave the stats in my signature not to show off, but to demonstrate some connections stats.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12