Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

problems connecting when other laptop is streaming

This is a discussion on problems connecting when other laptop is streaming within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi all i am on sky max for broadband and my average download speed is around 9mb so i'm quite ...

tonygold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: gants hill
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

problems connecting when other laptop is streaming

hi all
      i am on sky max for broadband and my average download speed is around 9mb so i'm quite happy with that. my only problem is that if my daughter is in her bedroom streaming a tv programme watching iplayer (or similar) on her laptop then neither my iphone4 or my partners htc desire smartphone can connect to our wi-fi router. the router shows up on the phones and even shows that we are connected but we are not, or if we do connect it is so slow as to be unusable. we then have to use 3g. when my daughter is not streaming but is just on her computer on the internet we don't have a problem connecting our phones.
      can anyone suggest why this is happening? i used to think it was something to do with her windows vista laptop but she now has a mac book pro and its just the same.

many thanks for any advice you can give me.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: problems connecting when other laptop is streaming

Whilst the new forum software is being updated it is difficult to see which router you have.

Could you please confirm which model you have? I am thinking that perhaps it is a WiFi g router and it can't cope with too much traffic. If this is the case then perhaps you could think about replacing the router with Sky's Sagem 2504N, a WiFi extender or your own router.

Also could you post the connection stats please? This is to ensure that it isn't your ADSL connection.

Finally, are you looking to get Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre in the near future? Is so then you would be supplied a Sagem 2504N for the connection.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Whilst the new forum software is being updated it is difficult to see which router you have.

Could you please confirm which model you have? I am thinking that perhaps it is a WiFi g router and it can't cope with too much traffic. If this is the case then perhaps you could think about replacing the router with Sky's Sagem 2504N, a WiFi extender or your own router.

Also could you post the connection stats please? This is to ensure that it isn't your ADSL connection.

Finally, are you looking to get Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre in the near future? Is so then you would be supplied a Sagem 2504N for the connection.
      hi scubbie
      router stats:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10440 kbps 1098 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35.5 db 21.1 db
      Noise Margin 7.7 db 7.7 db

router is a white netgear one that sky supplied at least 3 years ago. i cannot see any model number on it. i am not thinking of fibre broadband as i really do not want the extra expense and i am quite happy with the speeds i have here (when working properly!)

thanks again for your help

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You could try changing the wireless channel on the router, it is possibly suffering from interference from another source. If you have not changed the channel it is probably set to Auto 108Mbps. This is only useful if you have compatible adapters and will usually give you a better result if changed to 'g only'. This will allow you to select a channel. As a start I would use channel 13 as this is little used. If you like you can download and use Inssider to find the best channel, link below.

The second option is to buy a router capable of N standard wifi. These can be got for around 20 and will support most modern devices..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonygold View Post
      router stats:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10440 kbps 1098 kbps
      Line Attenuation 35.5 db 21.1 db
      Noise Margin 7.7 db 7.7 db
      That is a fair connection speed for your line. It confirms that this isn't the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tonygold View Post
      router is a white netgear one that sky supplied at least 3 years ago. i cannot see any model number on it. i am not thinking of fibre broadband as i really do not want the extra expense and i am quite happy with the speeds i have here (when working properly!)
      You have the original ADSL router from Sky: Netgear DG834GT. Tom has one of these, so he does know more than me on this router.

It might be worth asking which firmware version you have too. Sky recently released an update and there have been a few issues associated.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Mine is still the old V1.03.87 (CU3.04) it has not been upgraded yet. Although it shouldn't, it may be the CU firmware which is preventing this. I am a bit sorry I sold my spare one as I could have put it on with the basic firmware to see if it would upgrade. Given the choice between an upgrade and the CU firmware, I know what I prefer.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You could try changing the wireless channel on the router, it is possibly suffering from interference from another source. If you have not changed the channel it is probably set to Auto 108Mbps. This is only useful if you have compatible adapters and will usually give you a better result if changed to 'g only'. This will allow you to select a channel. As a start I would use channel 13 as this is little used. If you like you can download and use Inssider to find the best channel, link below.

The second option is to buy a router capable of N standard wifi. These can be got for around 20 and will support most modern devices..
      many thanks for tip isitme.
      i have changed the channel to 13 (it was on 10) and have also changed to 'g only'. it was on b & g. as luck would have it my daughter was out last night so could not test if this has helped with my problem. as soon as i can i will report back as the findings may help others in a similar predicament. do you think an 'n' router will improve anything in my situation?
      thanks again.

Thanks

An N router would help, it would be faster and cover more area.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      An N router would help, it would be faster and cover more area.
      could you recommend a suitable 'n' router that will be a direct swap for my netgear one and also would it just be a matter of plugging it in and away it goes?

Thanks

If you want to replace the Sky router with one of your own, you need to obtain your username and password from your Sky router and put them into the settings of the new router. Recommending one is not easy as they range in cost from about 25 to 200. It depends on what your budget is. Scubbie is using the DGND3700 and after a bit of a battle is now very happy with it. You can follow her journey here- Netgear DGND3700 N600 It has all the bells and whistles you need but they do come at a price. If you let us know your budget we could point you in the right direction.

It is possible to do it much cheaper by piggy-backing a cheaper router on to the Sky one, but as you have the original Sky router it could be coming to the end of its life, so you might be better with a complete replacement.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast