Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

problems connecting when other laptop is streaming

This is a discussion on problems connecting when other laptop is streaming within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme If you want to replace the Sky router with one of your own, you need to ...

tonygold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: gants hill
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: problems connecting when other laptop is streaming

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you want to replace the Sky router with one of your own, you need to obtain your username and password from your Sky router and put them into the settings of the new router. Recommending one is not easy as they range in cost from about 25 to 200. It depends on what your budget is. Scubbie is using the DGND3700 and after a bit of a battle is now very happy with it. You can follow her journey here- Netgear DGND3700 N600 It has all the bells and whistles you need but they do come at a price. If you let us know your budget we could point you in the right direction.

It is possible to do it much cheaper by piggy-backing a cheaper router on to the Sky one, but as you have the original Sky router it could be coming to the end of its life, so you might be better with a complete replacement.
      hi isitme
      i did change my router channel to 13 (from 10) as you suggested but it has not made any difference. if someone is streaming from bbc iplayer or similar neither smart phones can connect to the internet. it would appear i will have to change my router if you feel this will help / solve my issue.
      1. how do i obtain my router username and password (i presume its on my router stats page somewhere?)
      2. budget wise i really dont want to throw an awful lot of money at this as 90% of the time my daughter is not streaming so all is well!! i would hope to not spend more than 40. if poss could you recommend something in this sort of price bracket?
      also being on sky's broadband max package, if i requested a router upgrade from then (as mine may be faulty / inadequate) do they supply these free of charge. (may be cheeky but thought worth asking?)
      my present router is the sky issued DG834GT (white)
      thanks again for your advice.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If your budget is 40 you would be as well going for the new Sky Sagem 2504N, which costs 35 and would be a direct plug and play replacement. Using your own router is not so easy and requires setting up. Some info on how to do this can be found here -
      Non-Sky Router Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Sky will sometimes replace older routers for free, but usually the replacement will be an old reconditioned model, not the new wireless N one..

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If your budget is 40 you would be as well going for the new Sky Sagem 2504N, which costs 35 and would be a direct plug and play replacement. Using your own router is not so easy and requires setting up. Some info on how to do this can be found here -
      Non-Sky Router Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Sky will sometimes replace older routers for free, but usually the replacement will be an old reconditioned model, not the new wireless N one..
      many thanks for all the info given. i will get a 2504N and hopefully this will solve my issues??

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

When I first got Sky broadband I used my Netgear DGN2000 which is "N" rated. Worked very well.

One thing it's got over the Sky routers is QoS which would allow you to restrict the bandwidth used by your daughter which would go a long way to help.

These are quite cheap on ebay - within your budget - but would require some setting up.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i have now ordered an 'n' router from sky model 2504 i believe.
      i could not get an answer from person on the phone today about something else but does anyone on here know if after i get the new router and it does not improve my situation, can i return it for a refund within say 7 days?
      many thanks

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonygold View Post
      ...if after i get the new router and it does not improve my situation, can i return it for a refund within say 7 days?
      You will be covered by the Distance Selling Regulations, so basically: Yes.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12