Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

can't connect laptop to sky router

This is a discussion on can't connect laptop to sky router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've recently switched to sky and wired up the router and cable connected my pc which is fine but my ...

gazza4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01202
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

can't connect laptop to sky router

I've recently switched to sky and wired up the router and cable connected my pc which is fine but my laptop (toshiba sat sa50-108) dosen't pick up the router signal. i've tried everything on the laptop that i can think of but still no luck. My old bt router came with adapters so i just used one of those and it worked. Anyone know what it could be

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: can't connect laptop to sky router

Try updating the wireless adapters drivers from the manufacturers website. Do this even if it is the same driver as it may be corrupt.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Could I suggest that you check the IP settings for the Wireless adaptor?

Ideally they should be set to automatic. If you have set them manually to work on the BT router, then this could be the problem. BT uses 192.168.1.xxx for it's routers, whilst Sky uses 192.168.0.xxx. The actual router addresses end in different numbers too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

as i cant connect to internet i cant download drivers ? i even tried plugging in lan cable but still wont connect even though it says its connected ??

Thanks

because i cant connect to internet i cant download drivers ? i even tried plugging in LAN cable but it still wont connect even though it says its connected ??

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

What firewall are you using on the laptop? Might need to set the new ip address range in that.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

because i cant connect to internet i cant download drivers ?
      You said your PC was connecting, so why not download with that and move the files using a USB drive or even over the network.

i even tried plugging in LAN cable but it still wont connect even though it says its connected ??
      Did you switch off the wireless?

What OS are you using?

As a Test try starting in Safe Mode with Networking. See if you can connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Bolly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I just fixed a problem like this for my brother. Its a long shot seeing as you have only just joined sky.

You need to check that first off your router is broadcasting a wireless signal. Then check to make sure that the access list has not been enabled with no devices on the list.
      Sound complicated but it is not.

With your ethernet connected to your main pc open a web browser and type in 192.168.0.1
      It will come up with username and password. If you have not already changed this for your router the default is username : admin Password: sky

Once in the router page click the setup tab. once there look at wireless access point. make sure wireless access point and allow broadcast of name ssid are both ticked.If either are not then tick them and click apply (in red at bottom of page)
      Then look at where it says "setup access list" again in red. Click that
      It will open another page. There should be a box that says turn access control on. Make sure its unticked.
      If it is ticked then untick and again click apply in red on the bottom of the page.
      Another good thing to to after this is pull the power from the router and give it a minute, reconnect and let it reboot.

These are both very basic things to check. However it stumped my brother for hours until he rang me. Found out that turn access control was ticked yet no devices were setup in trusted wireless stations eg, laptop sky anytime+ etc. There for everything that would try to connect was not trusted so router would not allow to connect.

With problems like this try to think basic. make sure router is on and broadcasting a wireless signal. If it is then most likely is the wireless adapter in your laptop having a conflict or trying to connect to the wrong wireless or perhaps wrong password is entered. Sky passwords are very case sensitive I know the original one that came with my router was all in capitals so lower case it still would not accept.

One other thing is perhaps to try to connect something else wireless like a smart phone if something else will connect then definitely the laptop.