Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By RPPJ33

Modem Crashes and Resets at much lower speeds.

This is a discussion on Modem Crashes and Resets at much lower speeds. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Dear all postThread - I have searched the forum so if I have missed anything please be polite. After numerous ...

RPPJ33 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01773
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Modem Crashes and Resets at much lower speeds.

Dear all
      postThread - I have searched the forum so if I have missed anything please be polite.

After numerous calls to SKY they sent BT round who after two visits have replaced the cable between the junction box and the house and replaced the master box - checking the line they confirmed no issues on the line and that I was getting over 3 meg in - on restarting the modem I went from a download speed of 0.33 to 3.4 meg - great, however approx every 6 - 12 hours I suddenly get a downstream noise margin spike of several hundred billion db - the modem drops to zero and on resetting starts at approx a 1.5 meg see stats below - I can leave it for a few hours and then restart and be back at 3.4 meg for between 6 - 12 hours this seems to happen regardless of the time - any suggestions I am starting to think my modem must be broken as all the cabling has been replaced and checked.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 586 673 0 623 1624 00:04:24
      LAN 100M/Full 359 0 0 354 0 00:04:42
      WLAN 11M/54M 996 1146 0 2069 1023 00:04:30

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1504 kbps 608 kbps
      Line Attenuation 58 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 15 db

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards
      RPPJ33
      Last edited by Scubbie; 12-02-12 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Tidy up stats layout

2. Advertisement
      fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Modem Crashes and Resets at much lower speeds.

Your router's noise margin is actually falling below zero and the connection is dropping.

Netgear's firmware doesn't display negative noise margins correctly.
      2147483647 is -1db
      2147483646 is -2db

Thanks

Thanks for the explanation - what if anything can I do to prevent it from happening - I reset the modem today again at about 12.00 and was at 3.3 meg ( via the Sky Stats page ) now 6 hours later it has reset itself to 1.5 Meg.

The noise level when I reset stays between 7-8 db until it crashes and restarts at the lower speed when it jumps to 15db.

I have tried resetting during off peak and on peak times everything is plugged into the master socket - phone and modem with a micro filter box, PC is connected wirelessly so minimum of cables possible - is it just par for the course or should I get back onto Sky and start swapping out micro filters - ask for a new modem ?

Thanks for the response
      RPPJ33

Thanks

I have now found out what to do about this problem - after being told it was broken microfilters I had two new ones sent out in the post lo and behold I went from 1,5 meg down to 0.4 I put my old one back in and back upto 1.5 meg - after another 30 minutes on the phone I finally had the Technical help centre blame the modem and suggest I bought a new one from SKY, I then was transferred to the Retention Department who I explained the issue and told I was moving to BT - I now have a new modem on it;s way to me free of charge - lets see if that fixes it.
      Scubbie likes this.