Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slow download speed, less than 210KB/s

This is a discussion on Slow download speed, less than 210KB/s within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, I have been using Sky for the last 4 or 5 months after my parents switched from Virgin ...

Guest_2150 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Slow download speed, less than 210KB/s

Hi guys,

I have been using Sky for the last 4 or 5 months after my parents switched from Virgin Media due to high telephone bills and I have been suffering with these terrible download speeds ever since the change. I enjoyed a steady 900KB/s-1.2MB/s download rate with Virgin but Sky seems to be a joke in comparison. I understand my parents paid twice as much for Virgin broadband but I'd expect to be getting at least half the speed as before, not a 5th (at best)!

I am not sure if something is being capped somewhere because I tried the speed test on this site and the download speed was at 1.2MB/s but yet I never seem to reach more than 210KB/s on a single download in all the time I have been using Sky Unlimited.

I am not directly plugged into the test socket, instead the router is plugged into a phone socket in my bedroom which is wired into the main telephone socket in the next room. I did, however, use the test socket at first with an extended cable until the phone socket was rewired and I remember the download speeds then never exceeded 220KB/s, so I have only lost 10KB/s after wiring into a second socket but that shouldn't be the problem of the slow download speeds, should it?

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Re: Slow download speed, less than 210KB/s

Quote Originally Posted by Guest_2150 View Post
      but that shouldn't be the problem of the slow download speeds, should it?
      Most common issue for slow speed issues: Wiring and incorrect set-up. Post up your stats from how they look at the moment from the extension and then take another set with just a microfilter, short grey dsl cable that Sky provided going to the router. No extension cables.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The setup we have is a little complicated so I will have to try and explain it as best I can for you to help me as best you can. In my bedroom, there is a phone socket with a microfilter on it and I use the cable supplied by Sky. I only used the extension cable when plugging into the main socket at first before the phone socket in my bedroom was rewired into the main one, which I think we disposed of. We also have a third phone socket in the loft which is used for the main phone in the hallway that also has a microfilter on it. The main/test socket in the living room doesn't have a filter on it because Sky only supplied us with 2 of them.

These are the stats right now with the above setup:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 2045 kbps 605 kbps Line Attenuation 64.0 dB 35.6 dB Noise Margin 7.6 dB 15.3 dB

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

You've answered your own question - the setup your end is the issue

You need to move the router to the Master socket and then use wireless/Homeplugs to get the connection to your devices
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The main/test socket in the living room doesn't have a filter on it because Sky only supplied us with 2 of them.
      Plugging into your Test socket is really essential to get your best result, if you can't do that at the moment remove anything you have plugged into the above socket and take and post your stats again.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Do you want me to test the router without the microfilter plugged in? That is the only other thing sharing the phone socket in my bedroom. Also, I might be able to try the test socket and post the results as well. It just means wheeling my PC into the living room from my bedroom and unscrewing the faceplate. More of an inconvenience than anything else.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have anything plugged into the main socket in your living room, unplug it and take the stats from your present position.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

It might be an inconvenience but Sky are only going to ask you the same thing so may as well do it now and not waste a phone call...ideal test setup would be filter into the test socket, router into the filter using the cable Sky supplied, Ethernet cable into the PC and then repost stats

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Alright, the statistics I posted above are without anything plugged into the test socket so no need to repost them. I am now plugged into the test socket with the faceplate removed and these are the statistics now:

Connection Speed 2045 kbps 605 kbps Line Attenuation 64.0 dB 32.6 dB Noise Margin 7.8 dB 15.9 dB

Nothing much seems to have changed.

Thanks

Then you have the issue because of you being miles from your exchange, one thing that doesn't affect cable.

Not a lot you can do bar move closer to the exchange

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast