Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

More Sky broadband Woes

This is a discussion on More Sky broadband Woes within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Looking like Sky has some problems regarding broadband speeds I wonder if there is anyone else apart from myself in ...

canonman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

More Sky broadband Woes

Looking like Sky has some problems regarding broadband speeds I wonder if there is anyone else apart from myself in the Edinburgh Newington exchange also having problems.

I am supposed to be on a 20mb connection, ok usual download speeds in the region of 15 mb. the past few weeks has seen various browsers all showing the same problem of timeouts. On occassions whether using IE9, Firefox, Google Chrome or Opera browsers it can take sometimes 10 to 20 second before new page appears.
      On the latest speedcheck (bottom of this post) I notice the dials on the graphic doesn't appear to move then suddenly it shoots up to the max 6.88 in this case, not the usual smooth progress upwards.

Is the current problems nationwide and does anyone know if Sky is going to fix it.?
      I suspected for a while they capped my broadband out of spite because I cancelled the tv subscriptions, But I don't think so now.

skystat by Frank Chapman, on Flickr

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: More Sky broadband Woes

How did you perform the speed test?

Ideally it should always be done whilst connected by Ethernet cable directly to the router, with nothing else actively using your bandwidth.

It is also worth doing several at different times of the day to build a picture of the actual performance of your line.

Finally the speed test tool on this forum is perhaps a useful alternative. It doesn't get hit as much as the main speed test sites and will provide more consistent results. There is a button at the top of this page.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

For the last 24 hours my throughput is significantly affected.

I sync at 17-18meg and usually get speedtest results in the around 15 meg. Now I'm down to 10meg whatever site I use , including the one here.

It also definitely feels slower.

Is there a problem somewhere?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have also noticed a reduction in speed, for years I have been able to download at around 8Mb, now it has dropped to 7Mb. Syncing at 9+Mb.

This shows up on my Samknows testing as well as the tester on this site.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

canonman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      How did you perform the speed test?

Ideally it should always be done whilst connected by Ethernet cable directly to the router, with nothing else actively using your bandwidth.

It is also worth doing several at different times of the day to build a picture of the actual performance of your line.

Finally the speed test tool on this forum is perhaps a useful alternative. It doesn't get hit as much as the main speed test sites and will provide more consistent results. There is a button at the top of this page.
      Sagem F@st 2504 is connected to PC via the ethernet cable Sky supplied with the router, router connects to phoneline master box via the filter which is less than a metre from the router, in fact from the desktop to the floor behind the desk is where the phone box is, so no excessive distances. I have three spare filters amd have tried all three with no difference. One phone only into other connector on the filter. No wireless gadgets in the house.
      I have updated the speedcheck and router stats below which were taken at 17:10 tonight. As you can see the download speed is pathetic for a 20 mb connection. I usually get around 14-15mb download speed, the distance to my exchange as the crow flies is about 1/2 a mile.

The download speeds and router stat for last night were taken approx 1 am.

suspdtest by Frank Chapman, on Flickr

rtstat by Frank Chapman

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Did you check the speed in the list? I ask as funnily enough I got exactly the same figures on the clock when I did a test a few minutes ago. In my list the correct speed of 7100 was shown. There may be something wrong with the clock. Maybe someone else can try?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Well my speeds are back up to where they should be - approx 14meg - according to the SkyUser site & Speedtest.net.

I thought that my tweaking may have caused an issue but after going back to a std SNRM I was still on 10meg but now it's upto 14meg on a 16meg sync speed.

Seems like a problem on the network somewhere.