Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How to get Routerstats working

This is a discussion on How to get Routerstats working within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; A few days ago I had a bit of an argument with Sky CS - I'd realised that I'd been ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

How to get Routerstats working

A few days ago I had a bit of an argument with Sky CS - I'd realised that I'd been paying 10 per month for my broadband, despite it showing on Skys website, and other people on here, saying it should be 7.50.

So I rang to complain, get put on the right amount and get a refund for my overpayment.

The upshot is - I've been put on the right price, but had to renew my 12 months contract for broadband.

Yesterday, I noticed the speed of my broadband had increased.

About 18 months or so ago, I had major problems with my connection, resulting in it having to be capped at 4mb to stop masses of errors building up and disconnecting me all the time.

Yesterday, I noticed my speed had increased to 5Mb - yet whilst gaming, the refresh rate had become very glitchy (I'm assuming, indicating errors).

I am working on the assumption that, when the CS guy started up my "new" contract, he also somehow took the cap off my line. He may even have started DLM up again (deep joy).

Last time we had this, I ended up with arguments both with Sky and BT over the max speed I was able to get on my line. And as the problems lasted more than three months, and Sky only keep a record of the last 3 months, and I had no proof myself, I couldn't argue my case particularly strongly.

So .. this time I want to cover my back. Last time, once things got out of hand, I used a bit of software called Routerstats which tracked my connection and noise margin, and plotted them in a graph over time.

I've tried doing the same again this time, but it refuses to work. It will occasionally speak to my router for the stats, but then sometimes the router refuses to pass on the information - giving a timeout error.

Any idea how to make it work? I've tried both Routerstats AND Routerstats lite.

I'm on the Sagem f@ast 2504.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: How to get Routerstats working

From what I understand, you may have a faulty trunk cable and no one wants to change this.

I have seen reports from others who have renewed their contracts and had DLM restarted. With this in mind I suspect that Sky will end up going around in a circle once more and coming to the same conclusions as previously.

Could I suggest that you contact Sky's Customer Services since you appear to already be getting some problems? If you can't get a suitable response from them, it might be worth taking it a little further up the line to the Executive team.

Knowing your interest in Sky Fibre, it might be useful to drop a hint that you would be interested at some stage in the conversations.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The 2504 is a supported router so it should work. Try uninstalling it, both versions, and reinstall. On the set up tab, check that the correct router is selected and that the password is correct.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The 2504 is a supported router so it should work. Try uninstalling it, both versions, and reinstall. On the set up tab, check that the correct router is selected and that the password is correct.
      Yeah .. tried all that. I couldn't get Lite to work at all - it kept saying it had a problem contacting the router. I tried Routerstats and it connected (eventually), would collect one data point, then miss a couple, then collect another ... almost like when it was asking for information from the router, it would occasionally just time out.

I also tried uninstalling both packages (not at the same time!) - even reinstalling in a different place. I'm thinking its possibly a problem with the router, in some way .. but it is a fairly new one (got replaced when i had problems 18 months or so back) and it hasn't had any problems until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Could I suggest that you contact Sky's Customer Services since you appear to already be getting some problems? If you can't get a suitable response from them, it might be worth taking it a little further up the line to the Executive team.

Knowing your interest in Sky Fibre, it might be useful to drop a hint that you would be interested at some stage in the conversations.
      Oh .. you know how your heart just sinks when you hear the phrase "ring Sky Customer Service"? I kinda know I should .. but I also know that the conversation is going to go round in circles for ages, and I really don't have the energy for a fight with them at the moment. Because at the end of the day, that's what it will feel back, even without raised voices.

One of the main reasons i want to get some decent data before i ring is so that I have some ammunition ready - I just know we're going to have to go through the whole routine of checking lights on the router, resetting the router, changing filters, plugging into the test socket ... blah blah.

As far as fibre goes ... I'd love it, I really would .. but at the moment I can't afford to pay for it .. especially the 50 up front charge .. and I'm also going to have to pay to get the master socket moved, which no doubt is going to cost a fortune too. I have some money coming later in the year that is earmarked for various upgrades, including this (not that my hubby knows this yet!), so fibre is definitely on the cards when that happens ... I just hope that it will also herald a problem-free connection!

Saying all that .. I may possibly be jumping the gun. All the signs are there that my connection may start deteriorating, but it hasn't yet actually dropped connection since the time it reconnected at the higher speed, which was 35 hours ago now. I have no reason to believe that my cable has mended itself since last time I had problems - but it is possible that Sky have improved their software for error handling.

Thanks

Yeah .. tried all that. I couldn't get Lite to work at all - it kept saying it had a problem contacting the router.
      You could try updating the adapters drivers. Check at the manufacturers site, download the latest available, uninstall the present ones and install the ones you have downloaded. I would do this even if you appear to have the latest as they could be corrupted.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

You could try updating the adapters drivers. Check at the manufacturers site, download the latest available, uninstall the present ones and install the ones you have downloaded. I would do this even if you appear to have the latest as they could be corrupted.
      Do you mean the routers drivers? or my network card?

I assumed Sky kept the router software up-to-date and I didn't need to keep an eye on it ...

Thanks

Your network card.

You could also try resetting the router. Push a pin into the reset hole on the rear and hold it there till the lights flash. This will wipe all your personal settings so make a backup of these and save them on your desktop so they can be easily returned after the reset. A reset often resolves little niggles with the router.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Not convinced it can be either of those to be honest .. I've sat and watched the router stats page refresh on my browser no problem - so it is being refreshed by the router, and it is connecting to my card ok.

I'll have a look for an updated driver anyway tho, just in case. I'm reluctant to reset my router at the moment, because I'm waiting to see how it will react over a few days ... if it doesn't disconnect, I might be able to live with the glitching, at least in the short term - I have a free day on Thursday when I get all day to fiddle and speak to Sky (and I'll probably need most of it!).

I had assumed that it was some problem with the Routerstats software .. but if you don't think that is the case, I'll have to look at other possible solutions.

Alternatively -- is there another bit of software out there that can do the same thing?

Thanks

The only one I can think of is the Sky Router Tool, (in my sig) I don't know how well it works with the Sagem.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

The only one I can think of is the Sky Router Tool, (in my sig) I don't know how well it works with the Sagem.
      Hmmm .. looks like I'd have to flash my router in order to get it to work tho .. not sure I really want to do that.