Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

May have broken my Sky router?

This is a discussion on May have broken my Sky router? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I was messing around with subnetting and IP addresses a couple nights ago and I lost connection to my Sky ...

Liam76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01332
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Exclamation May have broken my Sky router?

I was messing around with subnetting and IP addresses a couple nights ago and I lost connection to my Sky router downstairs (I have my Sky router downstairs and a Linksys router in my bedroom which my PC is connected to). I reset my Sky router to get it back to factory default settings and eventually got reconnected to the router. However; since then, I've had no internet connection.

After resetting my Sky router and my Linksys router (upstairs) to factory default settings my Sky router still won't connect to the internet. My Sky router is a Netgear DG834GT. I can still connect to my Sky router and access the configuration pages, but the 'Modem Status' is stuck on 'Connecting' and the 'i' or "upside-down question mark" light on the front of the Sky router is constantly off.

Things I've tried:

• Turning my Sky router off for half an hour and turning it back on again
      • Turning my Sky router, Linksys router and PC off simultaneously and turning them on again
      • Connecting my Sky router directly to my PC

My Sky router is connected to a working microfilter which is connected to the master socket.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Router Fan Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: May have broken my Sky router?

Have you tried another ADSL cable?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Router Fan View Post
      Have you tried another ADSL cable?
      No, I don't have one to try with. I did order a longer one earlier though so I could have my Sky router upstairs. I'll try it when it arrives.

I don't think that's the problem though, since I lost internet after I was trying to fix my connection to the Sky router.

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

It's a long shot, but try clicking the "Sky test" button - the test will always fail, but it tries test login details, which should clear a stale session (I'd be surprised if that's the cause though)..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      It's a long shot, but try clicking the "Sky test" button - the test will always fail, but it tries test login details, which should clear a stale session (I'd be surprised if that's the cause though)..
      I tried that earlier; I get 'Error code: 100'.

Router Fan Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

The only way to test if the router is faulty is to get another one, you will need to extract the login details from your current Sky router though so you can use it on the Sky network.

I hope that helps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Router Fan View Post
      The only way to test if the router is faulty is to get another one, you will need to extract the login details from your current Sky router though so you can use it on the Sky network.

I hope that helps.
      I don't have another one with an RJ11 port to test it, and don't really want to buy a new one.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you called Sky to report the problem? If the Internet light is not coming on at all it suggests the router is broken, but you could try a recovery. You will find the tools to do this on the Sky CD. It may fix it, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

If you have the GT as your profile says there is a good chance it is at the end of its life. This applies especially if it has been used on flat, which causes overheating and shortens its life.

You say you have a Linksys router. Is this an ADSL one or a plain router? If it is an ADSL one plug it into the phone line and see if the internet light comes on.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.