Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Master socket problems!!

This is a discussion on Master socket problems!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Around 3 years ago I paid to have my master socket moved, I was a BT customer at the time. ...

mapster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cosham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Master socket problems!!

Around 3 years ago I paid to have my master socket moved, I was a BT customer at the time. An openreach engineer came to my house and, as far as I was concerned, completed the job. Recent events, which have spanned over a year now, on and off, namely constant speed issues with my broadband, have determined that the new master socket is NOT actually a master socket.

Sky, who are my current phone line provider, have had me carry out many tests and, after many phone calls and speaking to different agents, have determined that my original master socket is still THE master socket in the house, not the "new" one I paid to have installed 3 years ago. This is frustrating to learn, that I have paid for a job to be done and it hasn't been completed correctly. Sky have said that as this job was carried out whilst I was a customer of BT, I had to give them a call to see if I can get this rectified. However, BT say that they are unable to do anything as I am no longer a customer of BT.

Hopefully, you can see my current dilemma! I have both previous and new phone providers saying they are unable to help because a) the job was carried out whilst not a customer with Sky, and b) I am no longer a customer with the BT. So I am now stuck in no man's land trying to get a job corrected simply because of an openreach engineer's incompetence.

The original master test socket can obtain a broadband speed of over 7mbps, which is why Sky won't help any further, the other newer "master" test socket can only get 3.5-4mbps on a good day, so something is very very wrong here.

Outside the house, the dropline has, what looks to be some kind of splitter, black plastic and cylindrical, about 10 inch in length, with a wire leading to the original master socket, and the other wire leading to the newer "master socket".

Can anyone confirm if it is possible to have two master sockets?, as Sky say it is not possible. And does any one know how I can get this resolved?, that is, to have the newer "master socket" to be THE one and only master socket with the 7mbps speed I can obtain from the original one.

Cheers in advance for any advice on this.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Master socket problems!!

It might be a good idea for you to post some photos of the two sockets so that we can confirm which socket is which.

As for the work that was done, your contract was with BT. Although you line has now been taken over by Sky, they are generally liable for any work that must now be completed.

Once you have established which socket is which, I would first contact Ofcom to confirm with them who is liable for what. Get the answer in writing if possible. It will help if you can dig out any paperwork relating to the work completed two years ago.

If BT is liable, do not speak with BT India as they have no understanding, from personal experience, of UK laws when it comes to something like this. Do not write either as any letters are scanned and sent over to BT India too. You will need to find a UK Call Centre for BT and speak to someone in this country to get this resolved.

Failing this, take legal advice first, but you could consider paying for the work to be correctly completed, then sue BT in the small claims court. You will need to give BT an opportunity to do the work first though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

mapster (05-02-12)

Thanks

Thanks Scubbie, some excellent options there!

The 1st picture is the original master socket, the 2nd is the newer one installed around 3 years ago, which as you can see is running out of the test socket, and Sky have never told me to put the face plate back!!! The 3rd picture is the "splitter" outside that feeds the 2 boxes.

It was probably BT India that I spoke to, so cheers for the tip on this one. I'll try and get hold of a UK number. I think it was probably Sky in India too that washed their hands of my situation. Yesterday, I was speaking to a UK agent, who arranged for an engineer to come out, and it was promptly cancelled today by, all likely hood, Sky India.

All this is driving me nuts!! Even more so now I know i can get 7mbps! Have been paying for an average of 3mbps for around 5 years now!!
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Master socket problems!!-dsc_0147.jpg   Master socket problems!!-dsc_0148.jpg   Master socket problems!!-dsc_0146.jpg  

Thanks

My first impressions: Bodge Job!

It looks like you currently have two Master sockets and both are NTE5 sockets.

Can you confirm that the 1st socket is still working?

Hopefully run-it-direct may pop in to comment tomorrow, but what I would suggest is to cut the spur going to the original Master Socket if it is live. However you must take suitable action to ensure the connections remain waterproof. Perhaps a BT Junction box could be fitted in place of that 'splitter'.

This is something to consider if you don;t want to spend too much time chasing people around. You can get BT Junction boxes from run-it-direct, as well as a decent filtered faceplate to replace what you have got in use at present at the new Master Socket.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Yes, the first, and original master, in the lounge, is still working. This one, as I found out today, gives me over 7mbps in the test socket. Ideally, I'd want to disregard this box and just go with the new master, as per original plan, which is in the study out of the way and convenient to all my computer peripherals.

Not quite sure I follow this suggestion.
      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      what I would suggest is to cut the spur going to the original Master Socket if it is live. However you must take suitable action to ensure the connections remain waterproof. Perhaps a BT Junction box could be fitted in place of that 'splitter'.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Do not commit yourself to cutting any wires for the time being.
      Remove the faceplate from the first socket then remove the inner plate. This will reveal the A and B terminals at the back. Using a small screw driver remove the wires going into these terminals, tuck them apart so the bare ends do not touch. Make a note of which wire came from which terminal. Now plug your router into the Test socket of second socket and check the stats. Use only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky to connect the router.
      Scubbie likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

mapster (06-02-12)

Thanks

With the suggestion I was thinking that you could do the work yourself, if it proves to painful to get BT to send out a BTO engineer at their expense.

If you were to cut into the telephone line where that junction is, it should be quite easy to complete.

Identify the correct coloured wires that run to the Master socket and connect both end within a BT Junction box. This would provide a clean connection in a waterproof environment. Something like this:

BT 80A Junction Box (3 way IDC to 3 way screw connectors)

Reading the description though, I would definitely check with the people from run-IT-direct that this is a good solution before ordering. The boss there does contribute towards this forum and deliveries normally arrive the next day. Price wise they are very competitive.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

mapster (06-02-12)

Thanks

Thanks for your input Isitme, I may have to give that a try if all else fails!

This is the latest....I sent a complaint via the BT website yesterday, also an email to Olivia Garfield Openreach CEO and Jeremy Darroch at Sky. I recieved a email replay from Olivia last night saying she will look in to it, I received a call from BT a few minutes ago saying they can't do anything because I don't have an account, and no surprise, nothing from Jeremy yet.

It's beyond belief that a company is unable to do anything because I simply don't have an account with them. Someone has got to take responsibility!! Sky won't because, as far as they're concerned, they've have a solution to the problem. I just hope Olivia comes back with something positive.

I'll keep you posted on what happens.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

I can't see how this is something Sky should resolve, as the work is nothing to do with them
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Exactly what they are saying, so you're telling me anything I don't already know.

It certainly doesn't pay to move providers as you loose all guarantees, and no one is willing to take responsibility.

This couldn't be more frustrating and the only option I can see is to do the work myself.

I'm kicking myself for ever mentioning the original master box to Sky, as this was their get out clause for sending an engineer to fix the 2nd master box.

Live and learn!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast