Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New sky broadband customer

This is a discussion on New sky broadband customer within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Im already a sky tv customer and moving into a new property on the 2nd feb, the sky engineer will ...

aaronjunited is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02893
      Broadband ISP: awaiting fibre
      Router: awaiting
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

New sky broadband customer

Im already a sky tv customer and moving into a new property on the 2nd feb, the sky engineer will be installing my sky tv again at the new property. Im not sure what way the cable will enter from the front of the house into the livingroom. Im asuming its going through wer the living room wall is outside and in down the wall then accross floor into the corner were my tv will be. I have multiroom too and the room if will be used in will prob have to go over the roof and in through the wall okn the back bedroom.

does this sound ok and normal?

Another thing il be a new sky broadband and talk customer from the 3rd and the openreach engineer will be out go install a new phone line as one doesnt exist in the new property.

What I have noticed and informed sky off is at the back of the house in the street is the telephone pole that links to all houses. The cable I can see from the back bedroom window is coming from the pole to the house but only clamped to the side of the house and not entering inside. So my worry is how will the openreach engineer get a new cable inside my house from the telephone pole outside ready for the new phone line to be connected to it in the house.

Anyone explain or ease my mind.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: New sky broadband customer

I am sure that the BTO Engineer will know what to do and where the connection points are. Work out which are you would like the master socket to be and look at fitting your own extension upstairs or getting a DECT sender for the 2nd Sky STB if this isn't an option.

Some members have previously reported success with the following device:
      DECT Wireless Phone Line Extender : Extension Cables & Kits : Maplin Electronics
      (Note: This is available elsewhere on the Internet at a cheaper price)

As for the Sky Engineer, again he should have a fair idea where the cables will be best to go. The best thing is to work out where you would like the TV downstairs for your viewing. Take into account the sun, as flat-screen TVs seem to reflect the light badly.

Ultimately the dish has to point to the satellites, free of any obstructions such as trees or neighbouring properties, so that may limit where it can be placed. The normally carry sufficient cable (black or white) to connect your STBs to the dish too, so you shouldn't need to bring the old coax with you.

Good luck with you move.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.

Thanks

Just thought of this piece to add:

Since you are migrating to Sky Broadband, don't forget to think about connecting one or both STBs to your router.

Hopefully you already know that if you have a Sky+ HD STB and Sky BB Unlimited, that you can get Anytime+ added (might take a few hours on the 3rd or when the BB has been enabled, so don't panic), but if your 2nd STB is the SkyHD STB, then there are strong rumours that Sky are looking to add a new feature at some stage that will allow you to use it to see what has been recorded on the Sky+ HD STB. In theory it should also be possible to view the content with a 2nd Sky+ HD STB too.

Both boxes will need to be on your home network though.

I mention this as you may want to think about fitting an Ethernet cable next to the telephone cable if you take this route.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

they have set anytime+ up aswell. Not sure wat u mean by setting up and ethernet cable beside the telephone?

Thanks

my first stb is a sky+ hd box, the second is only a sky hd box.

Thanks

What I mean about the telephone extension and an Ethernet cable is for you to consider what may be coming to your 2nd STB soon.

If you were to run the extension behind the wall, then I would suggest that running a 2nd cable next to it at the same time would be fine if it were an Ethernet cable. This would mean that when the feature that I described above is added, you can quickly just plug your SkyHD STB in to your home network.

I would suggest that you would use a shielded Cat 5 cable and fit a couple of Ethernet Faceplates at either end.

Cat5e Single Socket RJ45 Ethernet Network Face Plate: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

The alternative would be to purchase a couple of HomePlugs for around 35 and plug them in instead.

In both cases, should you require additional Ethernet ports upstairs, you could easily add a 5-Port (or 8-Port) Network Switch, providing wired network access for a computer, games machine, or anything else, upstairs.

Thanks

Does the standard telephone faceplate not support ethernet with a filter? So I just run it from the phone line to my sky box?

Sorry just not completely understanding you there.
      The network switch would be handy, but how would I get it setup to work upstairs from the phoneline downstairs.

Thanks

Whilst there are some people who have used Ethernet cables to carry a phone line, they are two different standards. The telephone extension would be wired directly to the faceplate of the master socket or could have a plug and fit to the front of it.

Both cables carry a low amps so they would be safe to run together through the same conduit, hence my suggestion.

To stop the network traffic from interfering with the telephone line or vice versa, I would suggest shielded cable for the Cat 5e.

The same Cat 5e would also be compatible with a 1Gbit LAN, should you upgrade to this in the future.

Currently Cat 5e cable costs around 50p per metre. Some places sell it for less, but I wouldn't recommend them as they tend to not be made to the correct specification.

Thanks

Thanks for the help scubbie. Cant bloomin wait for this internet and phone line to be installed. Using my phone and im nearly over my usuage.

Forgot about something the other day, I wanted to ask, will all my recordings on sky+ hd box be ok when moved to my new house?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast