Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Broadband Unlimited - What to expect for first 10 days

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Unlimited - What to expect for first 10 days within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All I'm hoping someone can answer my query about my new SBU package. I have just been activated and ...

MartyP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sileby
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Broadband Unlimited - What to expect for first 10 days

Hi All

I'm hoping someone can answer my query about my new SBU package.

I have just been activated and have synced at the expected speed of 4MB.

Among all the paperwork I received it mentioned that there is a 10 day training period once activated where Sky will test maximum obtainable line speeds (estimated at 12.9-19MB).

Logging on to Mysky today and checking this out is states that "Line testing is not currently in progress on your line".

Should I be worried or am I just being impatient?

I'd also like to know if you good people think their estimates are accurate, i've posted my line stats and a speed test link below.

Downstream
      Connection Speed 4095 kbps
      Line Attenuation 11.5 dB
      Noise Margin 15.0 dB

Upstream

Line Attenuation 7.4 dB
      Noise Margin 19.1 dB

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1730381682.png

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Martin

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky Broadband Unlimited - What to expect for first 10 days

Should I be worried or am I just being impatient?
      You are just being impatient, DLM can take up to 3 days to start.

By the look of your attenuation you should get pretty near the maximum of 20 Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

MartyP (25-01-12)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

The DLM process will start. It will normally start within 3 days of going active, but has been known to take 4 on occasions.

You are currently at the initial connection speed, but have plenty of room for improvement.

In the mean time, ensure that you are making the most of your connection by using the short grey ADSL lead and connecting directly with the Master Socket. Your Line Attenuation indicates that you should get the max connection speed (i.e. 20Mb) and this will be affected if you are on an extension.

It might also be worth asking if you are using a microfilter (i.e. what was supplied by Sky) or a filtered faceplate. A filtered faceplate would improve things, particularly if you have any extensions.

Edit: Ok, Snap! Tom got there first.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

MartyP (25-01-12)

MartyP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sileby
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Thanks

TomD/Scubbie

Thanks both for your replies, need to work on my patience!

My router is in the master socket as per your recommendation, I don't have a filtered faceplate but have seen a fair few posts on this forums where people have recommended one.

Are they worth the investment in your opinion? Any make/model I should be looking out for?

Martin

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have fixed telephone extensions connected to the Master socket, then a filtered faceplate is definitely worth it. If you only have one phone socket in your house, the advantage is mainly cosmetic, although quality faceplates usually have better quality filters. Certainly better than those supplied by Sky.

If you get one, get a good quality one, not the cheap version you see advertised for about a fiver on eBay. This one is probably as good as you will get -
      BT NTE-2000 ADSL Faceplate for NTE5

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MartyP View Post
      Are they worth the investment in your opinion? Any make/model I should be looking out for?
      Often we see differences in figures when someone connects to the Master socket, then connects to the Test Socket. Provided that you have a split faceplate on your Master socket, indicating that you have an NTE5 socket, then you can fit one.

If you don't have an NTE5 socket, it is possible to fit one yourself if you are willing.

As for which faceplate, there are a few different ones. Some last a little longer than others, but generally performance is good between them all.

run-IT-direct contribute to this forum from time to time. They have recently got hold of a new faceplate that should be easier to install than previous versions. Take a look at this link to see what I am referring to:
      BT/Openreach VDSL/ADSL Premium Faceplate

If you scroll down the page, you can see the others that they can offer.

If you have any wired extensions to the existing NTE5 socket, then the first one will be much quicker to install. If you go for one of the others, you should also get an IDC tool at the same time so that you can wire them to the new faceplate.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

noriga is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208671
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I have a third party router which is currently working with Sky Fibre but I will be switching back to Sky Broadband in a few days. Will it be okay to use this while in the first 10 days period? If I understood well the stats aren't collected from the router but from DLM meaning that Sky will necessarily need to find their router connected?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noriga View Post
      I have a third party router which is currently working with Sky Fibre but I will be switching back to Sky Broadband in a few days. Will it be okay to use this while in the first 10 days period? If I understood well the stats aren't collected from the router but from DLM meaning that Sky will necessarily need to find their router connected?
      If your router is being used to log into the Sky servers in order to provide you with authorisation, then you will need to adjust them as Sky's ADSL requires a different log in process.

If your router has a built in Modem then that will work, but once more the settings will need to be adjusted.

The easiest settings are here: Using your O2 or Be router on a Sky Broadband (ADSL) connection

noriga is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208671
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If your router is being used to log into the Sky servers in order to provide you with authorisation, then you will need to adjust them as Sky's ADSL requires a different log in process.

If your router has a built in Modem then that will work, but once more the settings will need to be adjusted.

The easiest settings are here: Using your O2 or Be router on a Sky Broadband (ADSL) connection
      Thanks, are you suggesting I have to setup my router in Bridge Mode? I am not a O2/Be User as I am currently on Sky Fibre Unlimited.
      I have retrieved the username/password for the DSL same as I have done for Fibre and these are the settings for Broadband which looks similar to those I had when I was previously on Sky Broadband with a Belkin Router.
      Sky Broadband Unlimited - What to expect for first 10 days-dsl.jpg

Thanks

It's the login details and Modem settings which would be what you'd use, sorry not the bridge mode.

Yes you can use your Sky router's log in details too. However in the 'normal' way, not using Opt.#61. Opt.#60 & 61 are specifically required for SFU & SFUP connections.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast