Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Desktop error: Internet explorer cannot display the webpage - Please Help!

This is a discussion on Desktop error: Internet explorer cannot display the webpage - Please Help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, I've been having major problems with my desktop not connecting to the internet, error as above. I've called ...

mjahenga is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Desktop error: Internet explorer cannot display the webpage - Please Help!

Hi there,
      I've been having major problems with my desktop not connecting to the internet, error as above. I've called sky who ensures it's not a router problem because my laptop and iPhone are working fine. I had to reinstall McAfee and then started getting this problem, I've reinstalled IE8 via a stick, but still not joy. I've unplugged all the cables............please help me, I'm hoping it's something silly in my internet settings or something......
      Cheers

2. Advertisement
      WheelNutWalter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCHEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Desktop error: Internet explorer cannot display the webpage - Please Help!

What happens if you type
      ping 8.8.8.8
      into a command prompt window? Can you copy/paste the results into the forum? Depending on the result, it might also be useful if you could paste the output of the command 'ipconfig /all' into a command prompt window.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I had to reinstall McAfee and then started getting this problem
      This suggests it may be a software problem.

Apart from the earlier suggestions, you might also want to try starting in Safe Mode with Networking and see if you can connect to the Internet.

Are you using wireless?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Do you have more than one security program installed?

Uninstall any/all firewall/security programs, turn off windows firewall and reboot computer, then see if you have net access.

Then either turn on windows security or install a third party security product.