Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Very slow speed after changing to Sagem 2504

This is a discussion on Very slow speed after changing to Sagem 2504 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sorry, taking a short break there Sorry, your profile did previously indicate that you were on Connect and the speed ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Very slow speed after changing to Sagem 2504

Sorry, taking a short break there

Sorry, your profile did previously indicate that you were on Connect and the speed test result coincided with what many Connect users get when they have been capped.

Your router stats indicate that you are on an ADSL2+ connection and this would confirm that you are on the Unlimited package.

As Ged has pointed out, your Line Attenuation would indicate that you should be getting a better connection speed that you actually have at present. The is also room in the Noise Margin to allow for that increase too.

What I suspect has happened is that your faulty router has triggered DLM to jump in and reduce your connection speed. Whilst calling Sky to reconfigure your line would get it back, you may wish to double check some other things first.

Could you double check how things are connected to your telephone line please. The router should be connected to the Master Socket, using the short grey ADSL cable supplied with the router, no extensions and either a microfilter or a filtered faceplate.

If you are using a microfilter, it must be the first item plugged into a telephone socket, even plugged in before the lead for the Sky STB. Often a Sky installation engineer will plug the filter into a socket on the Sky lead, this is incorrect.

Again if you are using microfilters, and not a filtered faceplate, check that each and every extension socket has a microfilter installed.

It may also be worth swapping old microfilters for new ones. Typically they last around two years.

Once this has all been completed, give Sky a friendly call to see if they can reconfigure your connection. You may need to make two or three calls as not everyone has the necessary systems access to reconfigure your line. Don't let them start DLM as it isn't required in your case IMHO.

Post your stats up once the line has been reconfigured so that we can check that the job has been done well.

Finally I suspect that you may actually be better off on an ADSL1 connection. This would still leave you on the Unlimited package, so don't panic about that. In some cases the length of the line is such that ADSL2+ doesn't perform as well as ADSL1. Whilst you are on the phone ask the person in the support centre to try "G.DMT" to see if they can get a better connection speed.

Someone who knows their stuff will be able to do all this whilst you are on the phone. It may take 5-10 mins to complete.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      paul738 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well, it has now been nearly two months since my initial broadband problems. i have had one broadband engineer out and one phone line engineer due to the fact that the broadband enginner managed to do somethign that caused my telephone line to fail. i have had two replacement routers, wasted two days holiday waiting for engineers, i have spent literally hours on the phone with sky explaining the problem over and over and over again. and guess what? my download speed 'should' be over 11mbps, up to 18mbps possibly.....and currently it sits at 0.12mbps. its actually got worse since i reported the problem and since sky have sent out their engineer. i now have to take yet another day off work for an engineer to attend my home and i am less than 1% confidant that this will resolve anything.

no matter what any of the sky personnel seem to do they dont sem to have the knowledge or experience to sort out the problem.

im seriously annoyed, i would most definitely warn anyone off of ever moving to sky broadband, if they cannot sort this problem out with the next engineer visit i am going to instruct my lawyer to see if there is any legal precedent for recovering my lost wages and commission for the 3 days i will have to have taken off to 'resolve' this problem.

i feel like ripping my own eyes out everytime i have to explain the problem again with one of the idiots at the other end of the sky customer service line.

Thanks

It might be worth contacting Sky's Customer Services and speaking with someone there first. Failing this you can always contact the Executive team to get this resolved. We can provide the email address if required.

Annoyingly Sky has to contract out the work to BT Openreach. This would be the same if you were with most other ISPs (Virgin Cable being one exception).

Personally I believe that there are some BTO Engineers who will provide a better service to BT customers than other providers. This should not be the case and it is against the competition rules set out by Ofcom.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

my download speed 'should' be over 11mbps, up to 18mbps possibly...
      Your stats do not indicate anything like that. This can only be for one of two reasons, either you have a very bad fault on your line which is increasing your attenuation or you have been lied too. Put your phone number and post code into the boxes on this page and check how far you are from the exchange. - SkyUser - Sky Broadband Availability and Exchange Checker This is not a 100% accurate method of estimating speed, but it can give an idea.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

isitme

i was told by the last chap i spoke to at sky that i should be able to get over 11mbps based on his tests. this was after speaking to two customer services people and asking for the issue to be escalated to someone that had a vague idea of what they were doing. i was getting at least 6mbps before xmas and the last engineer that called tested the line and said i should at LEAST be able to still receive that.

i am 0.12 of a mile from the exchange.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

these are my latest stats:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 4545 5740 0 1131150 5069060 0:08:11
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 0:09:11
      WLAN Up 6144 4814 0 5425541 1518360 0:08:49
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 230 kbps 542 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.0 dB 23.5 dB
      Noise Margin 9.8 dB 9.5 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

i am 0.12 of a mile from the exchange.
      Then you should get 18-20Mb, there is definitely something wrong with your connection. Keep at them to fix it.

See PM.
      Last edited by Isitme; 11-02-12 at 04:56 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

scubbie could i please have the details of how to contact this 'executive team' please? thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul738 View Post
      scubbie could i please have the details of how to contact this 'executive team' please? thanks.
      Email Jeremy Darroch: jeremy dot darroch at bsyb dot com

The email will be passed to one of his team to deal with. Best advice, as always, be polite in the email and ask what they can do in order to resolve your issues as currently you are below their minimum acceptable standard (.5mb/s) and far from the promised connection speed when you ordered your Sky Broadband product.

You will need to provide them your account number and contact details.

You may get a quick response tomorrow, but most of the team won't be back until Monday now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

paul738 (11-02-12)

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

'Personally I believe that there are some BTO Engineers who will provide a better service to BT customers than other providers. This should not be the case and it is against the competition rules set out by Ofcom.'

i have 2nd hand evidence of this, re: filtered faceplates

sky engineer>me "i don't know why they don't just fit them as standard now. they know everyone's got a sky box or at least more than 1 thing to plug in these days. *they always do it if you've got bt vision.* i complained to bt & they sent me a free 1." etc etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast