Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed halved ...help

This is a discussion on Speed halved ...help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Last June I signed up to Skytalk, at that point they switched me to a MER connection. I did enjoy ...

mikebuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01362
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Speed halved ...help

Last June I signed up to Skytalk, at that point they switched me to a MER connection.

I did enjoy 7-8mb/s speeds for over a year prior to that, second I go on MER and the best I can get is 4mb/s

My stats are:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 632545 14738465 0 76751694 2147483647 91:12:38
      LAN Up 6639170 4212369 0 2147483647 1033288127 629:20:10
      WLAN Up 10943032 6108489 0 1398110343 661498288 629:19:51
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3854 kbps 797 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.0 dB 20.5 dB
      Noise Margin 7.9 dB 15.1 dB

I have got the usual runaround from Sky months ago, and my contract is up soon, so is that the best they can do or do I go elsewhere?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Speed halved ...help

It looks like something has happened. I'll ask about some possibles in a moment.

Do you have a copy of your last lot of stats please? The only other post of yours is dated 22-8-09 and shows similar stats.

In the mean time, your Line Attenuation indicates that you should be able to achieve 8-9mb/s. Your Noise Margins don't have a large enough figure to achieve this at the moment.

I would first ask you to describe your current setup with regards to how the router is connected to the line and any sockets in your home. If you could mention if you use microfilters or a filtered faceplate, what type of socket you are using and whether the master socket is an NTE5. Also are you in a house or a flat, where the telephone line goes through the centre of the building.

Essentially something is currently holding your connection back, but it needs to be identified first.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

Those stats were 2 minutes old when I posted this message.

My set up is the Sagem Router (Non N) plugged directly into the master (adsl nation faceplate filter) via the chord supplied with the router.

My master doesn't connect to any other box.

The only difference in my set up was the move to Sky Talk and the subsequent change to MER.

Thanks

That's great. How long have you had the ADSL Nation filtered faceplate for? Also which specific model is it please?

Is there any BT Junction boxes between your master socket and where your telephone line leaves your property? The link below has a few pics of some older ones, but some are still in use. Further down are some more modern ones though.

Connection Boxes

If you do find a Junction Box, could your please take a few photos of it, with and without the cover removed and post them in this thread.

Next could you please perform a 'quiet line test' please? To do this you'll need to connect just a corded telephone to the socket, dial '1' and listen carefully for any noise.

You may hear a little hiss. If the router is connected then you may hear a high-pitched noise that is similar to a fax machine, but with a higher pitch. What you should not hear is any crackling or load hiss.

If there is any noise, then please call your Line Provider (Sky Talk in your case) and ask them to arrange for BTO to repair your line as there is a line fault.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

At work so can't recall model, the line itself comes in from BT, and is then joined in a white junction box in the loft and then plastered into the wall.

When I complained last year BT checked my house and it was fine, they did a fix on the line I am told...but......

Nothing has changed at all apart from me signing up to Skytalk, BT Infinity is enabled in March, if this doesn't get resolved by then I'll switch, Sky loss as I'll cancel the lot not just broadband.

Many thanks for your help and suggestions.

Thanks

No problem. There are a few different types of junction boxes though.

Particular issues that come to mind are old boxes where the contacts are causing a problem and those designed to reduce interference, particularly REIN.

If there is an issue with REIN in your area, then your speed would have been reduced all the time. If the contacts are bad, then a new junction box can easily be fitted by yourself if you want to do it.

andy71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: bathgate
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Thanks

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 21:33:01
      LinkDownstreamUpstreamConnection Speed2048 kbps416 kbpsLine Attenuation49.5 dB31.5 dBNoise Margin20.1 dB16.0 dB what speed will i get after dlm is finished

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andy71 View Post
      Router Statistics

System Up Time: 21:33:01
      LinkDownstreamUpstreamConnection Speed2048 kbps416 kbpsLine Attenuation49.5 dB31.5 dBNoise Margin20.1 dB16.0 dB what speed will i get after dlm is finished
      My attenuation is 48 is and I get roughly 7 - 8 meg so you shouldn't be that far behind me hopefully.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser