Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Poor connection after SVBN

This is a discussion on Poor connection after SVBN within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, I was recently changed over the SVBN and my line has drastically changed in speed. I did receive the ...

ricopico is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wolverton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TL-WR1043ND (Open-WRT)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Milton Keynes

Red face Poor connection after SVBN

I was recently changed over the SVBN and my line has drastically changed in speed. I did receive the letter informing me of the change, but thought nothing much of it - I certainly didnt realise I could opt out.

My line pior to the change was:
      Connection Speed: 4832kbps : 800kpbs
      Line Attenuation: 56db : 31.5db
      Noise Margin: 2.4db : 11db

Clearly this is a very much tweaked line, I requested the line be totally uncapped about a year or so ago, I informed them I would manage the line myself (and to my supprise they did it). Screen cap before SVBN:
      You will see the line is stable with a WAN uptime of >400hours.

Anyway, 2 days ago, the line changed.
      Now my stats are:
      Connection Speed: 3072kbps : 800kpbs
      Line Attenuation: 57db : 31.5db
      Moise Margin: 11.8db : 11db

Clearly a big change in the line, specifically the line attenuation has changed

Now, I have not rebooted my router as im terified of the thought of the DLM screwing me further. I intend on calling sky at some point to attempt to get uncapped as before, but was wondering on how I can get back to half-LLU.

Im of the understanding that house alarm's dont work with SVBM?
      If I were to say, tell sky im having a house alarm installed would they put me back on the old line? - Is there then a chance the that the old line could be worse? (different physical line from before?)

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV

Re: Poor connection after SVBN

Once DLM has finished you'll be able to get it uncapped again. And moving you back is a ballache so Sky won't do it. The rise in attenuation is down to there being a bit more cable in use between the BT gear (when the line comes into the exchange) and the Sky gear (that your line is now running on)

I take it you deliberately set your SNR low to get more speed out the line (at the risk of stability)?

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket