Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ADSL2+ Poor sync rates

This is a discussion on ADSL2+ Poor sync rates within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I wonder if any of the more technical people might be able to give a few pointers on what ...

Nyle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRSTO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+HD
      Thanks

ADSL2+ Poor sync rates

Hi,

I wonder if any of the more technical people might be able to give a few pointers on what could be causing my router to sync at relatively low speeds. I've checked the line stats and this is what I have right now:

LoS Distance from (CMWDGT) Exchange: 1.5km

Down
      Sync: 3968kb
      Attenuation: 35.5dB
      SNRM: 6.5dB

Up
      Sync: 797kb
      Attenuation: 20.9dB
      SNRM: 16.0dB

Putting those figures into the Kitz max speed calculator, I'm getting a potential maximum sync of 11712kb. And while I understand this is only an estimate, the actual figures are some way off the mark. The BTw Estimate given at sign-up (or rather, home move) was 5 - 11Mbps, and I'm told anything below 3.9 could provide grounds for terminating the contract (don't get me wrong, I don't want rid of sky, i just want it to work the best it can!) I'm currently getting an average throughput of around 3.5Mbps according to the speedtest.net history, (along with a few other speed test sites)

For a bit of history, when my connection first went in (having moved into a new house) the DLM was run while there was an internal extension wiring fault causing A LOT! (thousands per hour) of CRC errors. This ended up causing throughput speeds of anything between 280kbps & 2Mbps

I've since disconnected the offending extension, and the CRC errors have stopped, but there's been no improvement in the sync speed upon asking sky to reapply DLM to my line.

Another potential cause could be that my line appears to be using early wiring with a junction box off the drop-line, which then feeds out in a star to a two-socket LJU master where there's been two phone lines in use at some point, as well as two other 'strings' of (presumably BT-installed) internal extensions.

How likely am I to be able to get sky (via BTw) to replace the existing LJU & junction box with an NTE5 where the junction box is now? I think this is where any problems might be coming from as it's ancient! From there I'd put a DSL faceplate on and replace all the internal extensions myself.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: ADSL2+ Poor sync rates

It's likely the internal wiring is holding things back, you could probably do with a complete strip down and replacement of your master socket

As for getting Sky to do it, slim chance but you'd be better doing it yourself
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IWasNotTheEnemy For This Useful Post:

Nyle (18-01-12)

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, and while I completely agree with you about replacing all the internal wiring, as I understand it, I can't legally touch anything inside, or before the master socket, as It doesn't have a customer removable faceplate to provide the demarcation line (It's type LJU4/1A or similar). Likewise, I can't touch the junction box as this precedes the master socket, and all extension wiring comes out of the junction box off the drop line... or is this not correct?

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

It isn't a legal matter, it can be deemed against the T&C's of the line provision. Reality, fit the correct parts with the correct cable(CW1308) and you are very unlikely to get any grief from BTO.
      Sounks like you need:-
      Junction box
      Cable
      NTE5
      & ADSL Faceplate
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RUNITDIRECT For This Useful Post:

Nyle (18-01-12)

Thanks

A quick update after a couple of conversations with sky this afternoon / evening.

They've booked a BTO engineer visit to rip out the dodgy cabling, and replace it all with a single NTE5 as it's all BT Installed / owned kit that's causing my isues with broadband (and indeed the phone, which has noise on it when the extensions are connected)

So thanks very much for the suggestions, you were dead right, but it is possible to get the work done by sky / BTO on this type of connection. So I've saved myself the cost of the cabling and boxes... which I can now put towards a decent structured cabling install for the rest of the house.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

I know it's possible, used to send BT out all the time when people had faults with Sky BB, it's just apparently harder to do it these days as Sky are reluctant to get them out due to high costs. If you had issues with your phone line full stop you should've just called BT in the first place as they'd have sorted that out (assuming you have BT line rental)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket