Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Upload speed decrease after BT changes...

This is a discussion on Upload speed decrease after BT changes... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi again, At the weekend I decided to give an old Thompson Speedtouch 585v8 a go on my line as ...

youngsyp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMYG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Upload speed decrease after BT changes...

Hi again,

At the weekend I decided to give an old Thompson Speedtouch 585v8 a go on my line as I a huge amount of drops/ resyncs up until then.

Before I connected the Speedtouch up, my download SNRM profile changed to 15dB.

After connecting the Speedtouch, the line was infinitely more stable. Initially, I thought the change in SNRM profile had aided this but, I know the Speedtouch was always good on my old long line.
      So, I asked Sky today to request an SNRM profile change, back to the default of 7dB (it was never that low, even before the jump to 15dB, it was averaging 10dB). So I got home today, fired the laptop up and saw Sky had done what I'd asked and very promptly. Well done again Sky. They'd also changed my channel mode to Fast Path. Great I thought as I play games online a lot.
      So, 18 hours later, the SNRM has barely fluctuated and the connection is rock solid (touch wood). However, my upload throughput has decreased. Previously, it averaged 365kbps peaking at around 380kbps. Now, it struggles to get to 190kbps. Have had a quick look round and the change to Fast Path shouldn't affect upload speeds so, what has caused it?

Bear on mind I'm on a Connect package and it's peak time right now...

Paul

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Upload speed decrease after BT changes...

BT Connect works in a strange way.

Most ISPs allow you to hit most of your monthly allowance in a few days, so long as you then throttle back for the rest of the month.

With the Connect package, if you go over the daily 1.3GB limit too many days in a row, you get stuffed until you have throttled back for about a week.

Looking at you profile and the exchange that you are connected to, I would suggest that you seriously consider moving to another ISP. IMHO your best choices to start with are TalkTalk (they have LLU equipment in your exchange, but lousy customer service record) and PlusNet.

Please take a look at this page and see which ISP can offer you a package that suits your needs better.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

youngsyp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMYG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Upload speed decrease after BT changes...

Hi and thanks for the response.

I hope the 'cap' on my upload throughput isn't due to me going over my daily capacity allowance as I've definitely not used 1.3GB of capacity in any one day. I think I've only used around 3.5GB's in the 11 days I've been enabled.
      With regards to the ISP switch, even if I went to TalkTalk, they estimate my throughput down to be between 4 and 6Mbps. I get more than that now. I'm not really concerened about having massive upload bandwidth either. I'd just like to have back what I started with.
      As for Plusnet, I'd not go with them if they were the last ISP on earth. I switched to them from Be (the best ISP on earth) at the end of 2010 for the sole purpose of joining their FTTP trial. In the 2 months I had to endure their ADSL offering and service, I swore I'd never use them again. They are horrendous. On the flip side, when I did get fibre enabled, I didn't have one issue, despite it being a trial and enjoyed outrageous speeds for 7 months until I moved.

I guess they could have mistakenly put a cap on my upload speeds. I'll let the line settle down for a bit and get in touch with them again.

Thanks again,

Paul