Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Broadband conflict with landline

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband conflict with landline within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Help! I have been using Sky Broadband for a long time with no problems but recently a problem has arisen ...

geoffwba is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Great Barr
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question Sky Broadband conflict with landline

Help! I have been using Sky Broadband for a long time with no problems but recently a problem has arisen in that whilst my broadband router is connected I can make outgoing calls on my landline but incoming calls (I have tried using my mobile) are greeted with the message "the caller is on the phone, please leave a message". Also connected to my BT socket are, or were, 1 Sky Box 2 Alarm system and 3 extension phone. These are connected by using an adaptor. When all are connected incoming calls usually fail to get through altogether or a message "fault on the line". At the moment , just for testing purposes I have a brand new ADSL filter connected directly to the BT socket(with faceplate removed), with just the phone and broadband router connected and get the line busy message. If I remove the broadband connector from the filter incoming calls are received OK. My broadband router is working OK and I can connect to the internet with no problems. Last week I phoned Sky who did a line check- this reported that there was a fault which appeared to be with my equipment rather than the BT line. After trying various tests by disconnecting and reconnecting the various pieces of equipment the problem seemed to resolve itself after disconnecting the extension phone (possible cabling fault) but now I am getting these fresh problems.
      This is causing me great frustration and I don't particularly want to get a BT engineer out if I can avoid it. Any help/advice would be really appreciated!
      Another question arising- do I still need an ADSL filter for each piece of equipment even though I have a filter immediately attached to the BT socket? I don't understand why multiple filters are needed when all the extra pieces of equipment are connected after the filter.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Broadband conflict with landline

You got another dsl cable and/or router to try?

Thanks

Actually, I have now tried using a different ADSL filter and whilst an incoming call is now coming through , it disconnects after a few seconds instead of ringing out and then going to the 1571 messaging service. I am beginning to suspect the ADSL cable between the BT socket and my router, or the router itself (it's a Netgear DG834GT). It is quite a long cable run, going from by the BT socket and upstairs to the router, which is in a spare bedroom. I do not have another router to try. Interestingly, whilst I can connect to the internet, when I do a Sky Test from the router page, it says "detecting PPPOA connection" and then "Sky Test unable to detect the internet connection, error code 200"
      If the cable is faulty, is it possible to connect my router wirelessly to the BT socket?

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Don't worry about the sky test button, it's not exactly informative if you already have a working connection.

If you call Sky and explain everything that you've done, it's likely to result in a replacement router being sent. Given that you've presumably had the router since 06/07, it's out of warranty so it's likely you'll be charged for replacement (28 for standard b/g router or 35 for N router). That'll come with new filters, dsl cable, router, PSU etc.

If you want to rule out the cable first, then either call Sky for a replacement dsl cable (free) or get hold of another just to test with.

Thanks

Thanks User05- I will try replacing the ADSL cable first. I need 10 metres which Rapid Electronics do at 4.42 ( I would imagine Sky only supply a short cable). If this doesn't cure the problem I could get a new router from Sky as you suggest. If that does not work I will be back for more help!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Get a longer Ethernet cable not a longer DSL cable
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

In reply to the last post, why an Ethernet cable? I thought the Ethernet cable was the one that runs between the modem and the PC. I have bought a 10m ADSL cable and that works fine with the internet AND the telephone line is now OK as well.
      On a different point, how do I know what sort of BT Master Socket I have? I see that you can get an ADSL plug in faceplate filter which is for NTE5 sockets but I think my master socket is an older type.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

10m DSL cable = extension cable = bad for broadband

Ethernet can be up to 100 meters without suffering from from signal degradation
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

I am wondering if I am getting my terminology wrong. The cable I have just bought - 4.42 for 10 metres from Rapid Online- is described as high speed broadband modem cable. It works OK and my download speed is currently about 4600 kbps- about the same as I have been getting for some time. I don't think my speeds will improve unless BT upgrade.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

If the cable that you have bought plugs into the ADSL port on your Sky router, then what IWNTE has stated is standard advice that I also generally support.

What sounds likely is your original ADSL cable has become damaged, hence why the replacement cable isn't experiencing the same problems.

Why do we recommend against using these extension cables? Simply because too many others have had issues with reduced connection speeds and and other associated issues. They can work though and this allows you to move the router to a better position for the WiFi signal or place the LAN ports nearer to the devices that you want to connect up so that it can access the Internet.

A suitable length of Ethernet cable cost around 50p per metre at the moment. There are some really cheap ones available, but these tend not to be made to the correct specification.

If you have a spare old router, there is a document i composed to allow you to connect it to the Sky router:

How to connect two Routers together

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast