Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Unusual activity on my sagem router

This is a discussion on Unusual activity on my sagem router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys i am sitting here watching my Router activity on. i am concerned because it is happening when i ...

jimmyr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Unusual activity on my sagem router

Hi guys i am sitting here watching my Router activity on. i am concerned because it is happening when i am not browsing the net even, it is the sort of activity you would see if you were downloading, it just carries on blinking away.
      I have run "Spybot" i have run i have run latest "Mailwarebytes" ran AVG antivirus and nothing found.

I go into my Router and into "Security Log" i see in there a line as below.
      SRC=202.239.129.104 DST=90.204.203.** LEN=48 TOS=0x00

I have been to an "Who is" site and i get the ip is in Location of the IP address
      202.239.129.104:
      Okinawa in Japan.

What is going on, when this activity is happening my browsing does slow down, its only 2.67 at best of times so i cannot put up with this.
      Any help appreciated guys.
      Thanks

2. Advertisement
      WheelNutWalter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCHEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Unusual activity on my sagem router

It's the nature of the internet and there is nothing you can do about it. If you are behind a NAT router (which 99% of DSL modems are, including Sky), then your devices at home are protected, unless you've made changes to your router settings such as DMZ or port forwarding.

You can help keep your computer secure by ensuring you keep it fully patched and ensure you are running up-to-date antivirus software. Never open emails when you don't know the originator, especially if they contain attachments. Only browse to known web sites, etc.

Thanks

But if the activity is slowing my browsing then it must be using my bandwidth surely, and at just 2.67mb it is unacceptable, i have never come across an answer such as "It's the nature of the internet and there is nothing you can do about it"
      So does this mean then that i can get a wireless dongle and siphon my neighbors bandwidth and this would be acceptable, sounds a great option to me lol.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Check that your router is setup so that it does not respond to a 'Ping'.

If you are someone who downloads Torrents, for example, then this kind of message is common and not something that normally affects the connection speed.

What you may also do is download and install inSSIDer. Using this tool you may be able to see if the WiFi channel that you are using is very busy and whether there is a cleaner/less busy channel available. Try to stick to channels 1, 6, 11 or 13 as the others will overlap with these (yes I know 13 overlaps 11, but only half of it).

Finally, it might be that something is trying your Internet IP address. To change your Internet IP address power off your router for a period of time (i.e. overnight) and switch it on again later. Sky's IP addresses are dynamic (i.e. they do change when you reconnect), but they have become 'Sticky' so they do not change as easily as they used to now.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks Scubbie, going to download it now.

Thanks

Forgot to say Scubbie i am not using Wifi, i am on Ethernet.

Thanks

Gone onto wireless just to try the "inSSIDer" software, what i see is this, i have placed the Alfa AWUSO36H close to my Sky router, and am not happy at what i am seeing lol, inssider is showing that all other sky ssid in my local are giving a stronger signal to my pc than my own Router.
      Why would this be, does anyone know.
      Thanks

My Mistake mine is the Highest lol, after reading the Wikipedia Page., how do i find the Quietest channel please, can i tell by looking at the Graph.

Thanks

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

If you were connected by Ethernet cable and experiencing the issues that were slowing you down, then perhaps you should look at the other solutions.

With regards to finding the quietest channel, if like me you have a lot of WiFi routers nearby, then it can be hard work. It may come down to changing the channel of the router and trying each one to which performs the best.

It might be that one particular channel is used by a lot of devices, which are not visible with inSSIDer. This could cause it to perform less well if they are too close.

There are other issues which can interfere with WiFi. These include some TVs, microwave ovens and some AV senders.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Wingco is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You say you connect to your router via Ethernet. If you don't use wifi for any other devices make sure it's turned of in the router interface.