Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Continuous dropping of ADSL connection in the evening

This is a discussion on Continuous dropping of ADSL connection in the evening within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I've recently had my Sky Connect service activated and am starting to have issues. It was officially activated ...

youngsyp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMYG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Continuous dropping of ADSL connection in the evening

Hi all,

I've recently had my Sky Connect service activated and am starting to have issues. It was officially activated on Monday however, I have actually had and been using an ADSL connection since Friday evening.
      Up until last night, the connection had dropped a few times in the evening but, overall was very stable. During the day, the line is up for the whole time. When I first started using the ADSL, the line was up for around 48 hours with no drops.
      I know i'm in the 'training period' now but, I've never had the line dropping before, even when I was 5KM away from the exchange in my last house.
      The house is a new build on a new estate and is served by an exchange with 1145 residential properties and a handful of business properties. I'm on the Sky Connect service as the only other choice was BT or TalkTalk LLU and teh exchange is only enabled for ADSLMax.
      At my end, I have the master socket relocated to the loft. That's fitted with an ADSLNation faceplate and feeds a Sagem 2504n via an ADSLNation shielded RJ11 cable. The Sagem is solely acting as a gateway and DHCP server. A shielded cat5e cable connects the Sagem to a TP-Link cable router. This kit is all in the loft with a DECT phone base that is as far away from the ADSL kit as possible. I've also added another microfilter to the phone line that comes out of the ADSLNation faceplate.
      There is 1 ethernet port and a TV connected to the TP-Link switch and 1 run of cat5e running from the loft to an 8 port switch in the lounge.

Observations:

IP profile remains constant at 7150kbps despite the number of drops.
      Sync speed both ways remains constant at 8128 and 448 respectively when connected.
      SNR down lowers by between 1dB and 1.5dB in the evening.
      SNR is around 1dB to 1.5dB higher now than 'normal'.
      Fast speeds attained outside peak times are 6950 odd kbps.
      Fastest speeds attained during peak hours are 1600 or so kbps.
      Ping times to the beep are around 47 ms off peak and 56 seconds peak.
      Upstream attenuation has increased by 0.5dB since last night.
      Connection drops for between 5 and 10 seconds each time then re-syncs.

I've attached my current line stats.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Continuous dropping of ADSL connection in the evening-router-stats.jpg  
      Last edited by youngsyp; 12-01-12 at 11:08 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Continuous dropping of ADSL connection in the evening

Update:

The modem has re-synced again, 26 minutes ago.

Paul

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Don't you already have another thread on the go?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Don't you already have another thread on the go?
      I do yes. This one is about an issue though, where as the other is about set up optimisation.

Not that I'm getting any responses on either.

Paul

Thanks

Fair enuff!

You got bad weather at the moment? My parents Connect service always used to go down with bad wind due to old overhead lines. Doesn't seem to do it any more, though so I'm guessing BT sorted that out

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Fair enuff!

You got bad weather at the moment? My parents Connect service always used to go down with bad wind due to old overhead lines. Doesn't seem to do it any more, though so I'm guessing BT sorted that out
      Actually, we have quite unseasonable weather at the moment. It's slightly damp at night but, very mild and dry. It's not windy either. It's been like that all week.

I've done a bit of reading and a few articles/ references state I should expect the line drops during the training period. The line is brand new too so, that explanation kind of makes sense.

Just checking again remotely and the WAN link has been up for 4 hours and 45 minutes. The system has been up for just over 91 hours.

I'm just a bit perplexed that it's just started dropping (or resyncing) so frequently considering it was so stable before I was officially activated...

Paul

Thanks

Update:

Well, I think my line training has finally started. In the router logs I have a g.994 training entry whenever the modem resyncs now.
      My sync speed has reduced slightly to 7712kbps and my SNR is pretty stable around 10dB.

Latency is still rubbish at the minute and throughput is around 1/4 of off peak maximum but, the line isn't dropping.

I've just ordered a Billion 7402GLX (which I got for a steal) to match with my DSLAM so, hopefully that will optimise the connection.

Needless to say, I'm much happier now.

Oh, and the DSLAM alias I'm connected to has changed. It's gone from easynet.co.uk to easynet.net. IP address for it is different too.

Paul

SheziKalebra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 100MB
      Thanks

Can you confirm the time of the drop outs? during the DLM/training period you'll have regular cuts on a day to day basis at around 1/2 AM.

Thanks

Connect doesn't have DLM in the same vein as the LLU service. Connact has a 10 day period starting from day 1 of the connection and will monitor speed only. There are no reboots during this period as the BT system does everything on the fly so I doubt that's the issue

Thanks

Connect doesn't have DLM in the same vein as the LLU service. Connact has a 10 day period starting from day 1 of the connection and will monitor speed only. There are no reboots during this period as the BT system does everything on the fly so I doubt that's the issue
      After a little more investigation last night, I think I agree.

As you'd expect, as soon as I wrote my update, the drops started again. So, I had anothe rpoke around.
      I noticed that whenever the wireless strength of the connection between my laptop and the TP-Link router degraded, that's when the line would drop. There must be something pulsing interference and upsetting the TP-Link as the wireless signal attenuation would spike from -50dB to to -60dB causing the line drop
      I switched the wireless transceiver in the TP-Link off and switched the wireless transceiver back on in the Sagem and the line stabilised.
      It has resynced in the early hours of this morning and is back up to full speed. It's been that way for 5 hours and 32 minutes now.

So the next thing to do is replace the Sagem with the Billion when it arrives and see how that performs doing gateway, router and wireless access point duties. If it's stable, I'll then plumb the TP-Link back in (it has 'better' n wireless and G/bit ports).

I wonder if there's some specific config that needs performing on the TP-Link to make it happier...

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast