Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Continuous dropping of ADSL connection in the evening

This is a discussion on Continuous dropping of ADSL connection in the evening within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Would it not be easier to just have a dumb router with a single Ethernet-out (Like a [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyXEL-Prestige-660RU-T1-Ethernet-Router/dp/B001A5SXOO"]ZyXel Prestige[/ame]) running ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Continuous dropping of ADSL connection in the evening

Would it not be easier to just have a dumb router with a single Ethernet-out (Like a [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyXEL-Prestige-660RU-T1-Ethernet-Router/dp/B001A5SXOO"]ZyXel Prestige[/ame]) running to a switch which then takes care of the routing/wireless duties? One less device in the chain?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      youngsyp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMYG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Would it not be easier to just have a dumb router with a single Ethernet-out (Like a ZyXel Prestige) running to a switch which then takes care of the routing/wireless duties? One less device in the chain?
      That's effectively what I have.

My set up is:

In loft:
      Sagem 2504n (modem and DHCP server) 1 ethernet to WNR1043
      TP-Link WNR1043 (switch and wireless) ethernet from Sagem, to switch in lounge, to TV in lounge, to wall plate in bedroom 3

In lounge:
      TP-Link 8 port G/bit switch

Paul

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Meant to ask in your other thread, you said you had the master moved to the loft - any reason why? If you were getting it moved why not just move it to the lounge and just have the router to the switch?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

youngsyp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMYG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Meant to ask in your other thread, you said you had the master moved to the loft - any reason why? If you were getting it moved why not just move it to the lounge and just have the router to the switch?
      The house is a new build and I wanted to have the best connection possible my side, as well as not having boxes everywhere. So, my cabling starts (all cat5e) between where BT's comes out of the street and the outside of the house.
      The switch would be up there too but, it's only required for all the ethernet enabled kit in the lounge and it's out of sight there.

I've basically cabled everything directly from the loft that was possible (and sensible). For example, each bedroom has two ethernet ports, the IPTV's in the lounge and dining room are wired directly to the loft as well as the switch in the lounge and one extra ethernet cable for redundancy.

Cat5e cable is cheap and as I had the opportunity to run all the cable and have it hidden, I took it.
      I had all the home cinema and Sky TV cables run and hidden too but, that's a different discussion.

Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12