Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection Dropping wired/wireless - reboot needed

This is a discussion on Connection Dropping wired/wireless - reboot needed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been with Sky BB since the start and after some initial issues it has been pretty much bullet ...

nl74 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: strood
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Connection Dropping wired/wireless - reboot needed

I have been with Sky BB since the start and after some initial issues it has been pretty much bullet proof. During that time I have used the original net gear router DG834GT and also my own (after extracting the passwords). My current setup is the DG834GT with wireless switched off and a Cisco E4200 acting as the router, I also have a netgear power line adapter running ethernet for the sky hd box, apple TV and xbox 360 in the lounge and a mac and P.C in an upstairs office. The DG834GT is ancient I know but it did sit un-used for a couple of years. Logging into the router shows upnp as being on and I seem to remember having to switch that off before (back when the DG834GT was our sole box) not sure if this is relevant or not?

This combo has worked fine and then in November I added a Stora NAS drive which when switched on or even in idle would cause the connection to drop every now and then. This would seem to be a known issue (requiring some port forwarding I am yet to do) but when switched off the connection was as before fine.

Over recent weeks however the connection has been dropping several times a day, each time all that is required is a re-boot, I have not recorded volumes but my feeling is it is getting worse.

Any ideas much appreciated?

2. Advertisement
      SheziKalebra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 100MB
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Connection Dropping wired/wireless - reboot needed

Hey nl74, can you post your router stats here for me please from the router settings page? Hows your landline telephone is it crystal clear no noise in the back etc?

Another thing to note is yes that router is old and is common for them to die out or deteriorate after a few years.