Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Involuntarily moved from SVBN to BT network, sync speed halved...

This is a discussion on Involuntarily moved from SVBN to BT network, sync speed halved... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Long story here but I'll try and summarise; nobody has time to read too much! - Ordered Sky broadband in ...

webvictim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hammersmith
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Involuntarily moved from SVBN to BT network, sync speed halved...

Long story here but I'll try and summarise; nobody has time to read too much!

- Ordered Sky broadband in July 2011
      - Was connected in the middle of August 2011, got 12.5mbit downstream and 1.1mbit upstream on a 36dB downstream attenuation and MER - not bad
      - At the end of September 2011, phone line goes dead and broadband drops in the middle of the day
      - Call customer services, go through all the rigmarole, eventually a BT engineer is booked to come and visit
      - BT engineer comes, gets line reconnected... however downstream speed is now 6.8mbit, upstream 0.6mbit, downstream attenuation 45dB, PPPoA
      - Many, many conversations with CST about this, many profile changes, sync is now 7.2mbit, upload 0.8mbit
      - Eventually discover that the old line in fact belonged to the previous tenants and was ceased, then we were reconnected. Conversations with various CST members have enabled me to work out that the old line was on SVBN and the new line is "on net" i.e. on the BT network instead. This figures, as my IPs are now different, routing is different, now PPPoA as opposed to MER, etc
      - Apparently the SVBN at my exchange is now full so I can't be moved back (although different CSTs have said different things about capacity)

Reportedly, Sky do move people from the BT network to the SVBN when they can, but it's all picked by computer and fairly automated - customers get a letter, email, phone call or something and it's arranged then. There's no way to get myself to the top of the queue to be moved back (which I obviously want as going from 12mbit to 7mbit is rubbish)

Does anyone have any advice about how on earth I can get Sky to get me moved me back to the SVBN? Everyone I've spoken to is convinced it can't be done and refuses to escalate to anyone more senior to get a second opinion.

Help!

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Involuntarily moved from SVBN to BT network, sync speed halved...

99.9% of people would say being on the BT network is better than the SVBN, me included.

Stats please!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

webvictim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hammersmith
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

In this instance, I would say that's definitely not the case!

An attenuation of 36dB with ADSL2+ on the SVBN and 45dB on the BT network with ADSL2+ and corresponding 5mbit speed drop surely indicates this? It's almost as though the line suddenly got 600m longer...

(I'm at work and can't get a screenshot of the current stats output, but will do later. Didn't take one when I was on the SVBN sadly, you'll just have to take my word for it that things were far, far better)

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

There should not be a huge difference between the two kits ceteris paribus.

But that's usually never the case. Adjustments (such as extensions) have to be made to the line to move it from one place to another inside the exchange. This is usually where things go wrong.

The quality of my line (both vocal and broadband wise) was top notch when I was on half LLU. Subsequently, it went crap when they moved me over to SVBN.

I don't mean to disappoint you but I can't see you getting anywhere with Sky on this. At least I couldn't.

Shonk is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I had a letter last week telling me i was moving to svbn
      I phoned up and told them where to shove it
      And said if i get moved the whole lot is going
      I had a letter today confirming there was a problem with my transfer
      and that i wont be transfering

Quote Originally Posted by Exdee View Post
      There should not be a huge difference between the two kits ceteris paribus.

But that's usually never the case. Adjustments (such as extensions) have to be made to the line to move it from one place to another inside the exchange. This is usually where things go wrong.

The quality of my line (both vocal and broadband wise) was top notch when I was on half LLU. Subsequently, it went crap when they moved me over to SVBN.

I don't mean to disappoint you but I can't see you getting anywhere with Sky on this. At least I couldn't.