Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problems setting up TP-Link Wireless repeater

This is a discussion on Problems setting up TP-Link Wireless repeater within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I recently bought a TP-Link Wireless Access point which can be used as a wireless repeater as my Sky ...

pbullo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Problems setting up TP-Link Wireless repeater

Hi,
      I recently bought a TP-Link Wireless Access point which can be used as a wireless repeater as my Sky Sagem router doesn't push the wireless signal far enough in my home. The exact model is TL-WA701ND.

The instructions are dead straight forward, but I can't get the damn thing to work! Bascally, I've configured it in both in "repeater" and "universal repeater" modes (neither makes a difference. When configuring in either mode, I searched for and entered the MAC address of my router, changed the operating region to "UK" and then entered my WPA2 key details.

In both "repeater" and "universal repeater" modes, the diagnostics section of the TP-Link repeater shows that it connects to my router, but I only see packets being sent, with none received.

The only weird thing that I can see is that when I search for the mac address of the router, it is one digit different to the address printed on the label on the bottom of the router. I've tried changing it to that (rather than using the one discovered by searching for the routers mac address), but if I use this, it doesn't connect at all.

Any ideas? Have our friends at Sky locked this down? I know they don't like anyone using other unsupported equipment as part of their network.... I was origianally just going to swap out my router for a bigger, more powerful one, but they wouldn't give me the PPPoA information that I needed to configure the router! The web site that cracks this (based on MAC address and Network key) has been down for a number of weeks, so that's why I decided to try a repeater instead, but I'm back to square one!!!

Any help appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      chris348 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01452
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Problems setting up TP-Link Wireless repeater

Hi,

Am also trying to use a TP-Link device (WA901ND) to extend the wifi range of my F@ST2504 router. Do not think that it is making any difference.

It does not help that I do not really know what I am doing. I can get a signal out of the 901 (as measured on innsider) with an SSID the same as the sky router, but am confused on the password to use in the wireless security settings (WPA-PSK). If I use any old password, the repeater wifi signal hunts over all the available channels (the router is set to channel 13). If I use the same password as the sky router, the repeater signal is then always on channel 13. However in this case the sky router loses the internet connection and requires re-setting, regularly, and the lap top wifi adaptor also loses the connection and requires re-setting.

Good luck with your problem & any tips gratefully received. I do wonder if the Sagecom router will work with wireless repeating.

SkyNewbie23 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Re: Problems setting up TP-Link Wireless repeater

Hi,

It took me 8 hrs to figure this out. Follow the you tube guide here.

IMPORTANT step i missed was not to reboot the router prior to entering the security details.

AFTER i did this i could not gain access to the tplink to change any settings as the router would only allow 10 secs of usability then would time out.

HOWEVER it does now work as a universal repeater with the sagem N router I got yesterday.

Hope it helps.