Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

2504N config

This is a discussion on 2504N config within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I am a new subscriber to Sky BB moving from a 5 year stint with Talk Talk. My ...

onceceltic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01269
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

2504N config

Hi All, I am a new subscriber to Sky BB moving from a 5 year stint with Talk Talk.

My Activation is due to happen on 05/01/12

Sagecom 2504N arrived today, which I am aware I should not connect until the 5th but I have a few queries which I hope someone can help with.

What’s with the different colours on the Lan ports ? I currently use 3 and will need to use 4 as the only reason I have switched to Sky is for the Anytime +

Also I have 11 wireless devices linked to my current router so would much prefer to change the wireless details of the SKY router to match that of my existing TT router, thus avoiding the need to reconfigure 11 different devices.

Can anyone please explain if this can be done in the 2504N config pages and if it can a brief guide on where I need to go. If not could I just reconfigure my existing TT router to connect to the Sky BB servive

Many Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: 2504N config

The colouring of the ports is supposed to indicate that it will give preferential service to some forms of traffic.

• Green - Sky+ HD STB (Anytime+)
      • Blue - "Future development"
      • Yellow - Computers (PC & MAC)

Whilst there are only 4 ports available, you are more than welcome to add a Network Switch or perhaps use your old TalkTalk router to extend the connections.

How to connect two Routers together

As for the SSID & Network Key, personally I would advice that you change them both as the default Sky passkey is 8 random capital letters. You may change it to whatever you wish.

If you really want to mimic the TalkTalk settings, then take a look at the security settings too. WPA2-PSK is the more up to date & secure encryption system. WEP is not secure. If the security is different it can confuse some devices, so you will need to redo all your WiFi connections anyway.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms