Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Which Router/Option Should I Take

This is a discussion on Which Router/Option Should I Take within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey peeps, hello to all, I apologise if this has been answered elsewhere, I did search but could not find ...

froggythrower is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01733
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Which Router/Option Should I Take

Hey peeps, hello to all, I apologise if this has been answered elsewhere, I did search but could not find the answer.

I would like some honest advice, and I am completely aware of Sky's T&C's

I currently have Sky unlimited with the Netgear DG934G router which is out of warranty, I have exhausted all the usual remedies and technical help from Sky, it seems my router is actually broken, my BB is all working fine on hardwire, but the Wi-Fi side of the router has failed, I have argued with Sky and despite threatening to leave they will not help me unless I pay for a new router, I really feel like joining BE Broadband on a 3 month contract just to make a point, I told Sky if I leave you will lose the phone line, call package and BB, maybe even the 2 HD boxes, and 3 standard boxes I currently pay for, then when or if I come back after the BE BB 3 month contract is up you will have to give me a new router, and go through all the setup expense again, but they do not seem to care about customer satisfaction, for the sake of a 38 router they are willing to lose my Sky account of 117 a month, funny really, when I joined Sky 10 years ago they couldn't do enough for you, bent over backwards, I suppose they are so big now that they wouldn't miss my pitiful 117 a month..... anyway, rant over

My point is... I have my Sky router P/W, so which route do you lot suggest I go down, I feel it is very wrong that Sky offer a service to which I must use their own equipment to stay within the T&C's but are not willing to supply me with the equipment to use their service and comply with their rules, if I ''HAVE'' to spend my hard earned money on a router I should be able to choose how I spend my money or they should replace the faulty equipment FOC, even if they insist on charging me for the new router and then refunding my money on receipt of the broken one to stop abuse of this.

a.) Begrudgingly pay Sky 38 for the Sagem 2504N router (is it even any good)
      b.) Buy an old DG834GT with Sky firmware (13.00 from Ebay 90 day guarantee)
      c.) Buy a Netgear DGN2000 'N' Router (Ebay 25.00 Refurb with 1 year guarantee) (don't know how reliable this router is)
      d.) Buy a Belkin N1 vision (39.99 1 year guarantee)
      e.) Buy a different router pref under 50 (suggestions please)

If this post is deemed as breaking forum rules I am very sorry and please delete it, and if you do not want to be seen replying, please PM me, as I do not know anything about routers only what I have read on here.

Thanks peeps, look forward to your replies
      Last edited by froggythrower; 02-01-12 at 05:29 PM.

2. Advertisement
      WheelNutWalter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCHEY
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Which Router/Option Should I Take

If you're prepared to leave, call them and tell them you wish to cancel. When they pass you over to retentions, explain the situation and tell them how unhappy you are. There is a good chance that as you spend a fair chunk with them every month, they'll offer you a new modem and a discounted package too if you change your mind and stay.

If you aren't prepared to leave (they might not make you an offer), then just bite the bullet and buy a new modem of which ever flavour you prefer.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to WheelNutWalter For This Useful Post:

froggythrower (03-01-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WheelNutWalter View Post
      If you're prepared to leave, call them and tell them you wish to cancel. When they pass you over to retentions, explain the situation and tell them how unhappy you are.
      Already have, asked for my MAC code, was transferred to the cancelations dept, where after explaining the situation I was told the charge would stand, and all I needed to do was tell my new supplier my Tel no and it would all be handled by the new supplier (I rent my line from Sky so don't need a MAC Code)

Terrible really, they are just not prepared to keep me as a customer, even though I'm sure my router is over 2 years old and as I have never used the Wi-Fi (bought an iphone4 and ipad2 for Xmas) it could have always been broken for all I know

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

if you wish to cancel then feel free but for the few years I have been with sky bb I haven't really had any issues at all. but wifi can be a pain sometimes yes they can fail. but no ones forcing you to stay with sky its your choice but if you leave to join other isps like be etc then you will have fair use policys there not 100% unlimited like skys but its your choice.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Another alternative idea is the Sagem 2504N, which is available from Sky at the cost of 35.

This is the new WiFi n router.

There are some really cheap WiFi n routers available for under 20. Again you can extract the log in details from your Netgear router.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

froggythrower (03-01-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      if you wish to cancel then feel free but for the few years I have been with sky bb I haven't really had any issues at all. but wifi can be a pain sometimes yes they can fail. but no ones forcing you to stay with sky its your choice but if you leave to join other isps like be etc then you will have fair use policys there not 100% unlimited like skys but its your choice.
      LMFAO.... you sound like you work for Sky in some capacity, trying to scare me into staying their customer He He, the point is if I left and came back they would have loads of hastle and have to give me a free router anyway, and as I have been a customer for 10 years never moaning or asking for anything you would have thought the 38 charge would have been put down to ''good'' will to a loyal customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Another alternative idea is the Sagem 2504N, which is available from Sky at the cost of 35.

This is the new WiFi n router.

There are some really cheap WiFi n routers available for under 20. Again you can extract the log in details from your Netgear router.
      Yeah, although I begrudge giving Sky any money just to stay within my contract, it is the easiest option to get an N router and 12 months guarantee plus stay in the good books, Sky want 38.18 for the 2504N from me
      Honestly I am leaning towards either buying the Netgear DGN2000 for 25 or just being a good conformist and paying Sky, I really don't want to leave because I have had no other gripes with Sky in all the years I have been with them, but I feel like leaving through principle, a few of my friends joined them because of me recommending them, and I have been with almost all the other iSP's at some point all with horror stories.

Just wondered now I am faced with stumping up some money to somebody whether another router would be a better performer

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by froggythrower View Post
      Yeah, although I begrudge giving Sky any money just to stay within my contract, it is the easiest option to get an N router and 12 months guarantee plus stay in the good books, Sky want 38.18 for the 2504N from me
      Unless sky has changed their price, the Sagem 2504N is 35 inc. delivery. either they have changed their prices (someone from Sky please confirm??) or you have been speaking with a 1st class fool.

It might be worth calling again tomorrow.

The older WiFi g (or Sagem 2304n) routers should only cost 28 (inc delivery).

Honestly I am leaning towards either buying the Netgear DGN2000 for 25 or just being a good conformist and paying Sky, I really don't want to leave because I have had no other gripes with Sky in all the years I have been with them, but I feel like leaving through principle, a few of my friends joined them because of me recommending them, and I have been with almost all the other iSP's at some point all with horror stories.
      The DGN2000 has a history of overheating. I've had two fail on me. I didn't bother going for another as I was now out of warranty. Otherwise it is a nice router. Some members have the DGN2200. I am now using the DGND3700.

Just wondered now I am faced with stumping up some money to somebody whether another router would be a better performer
      Perhaps calling someone tomorrow might get a better result?

If you are interested in looking at alternative routers, there are plenty of threads on this forum that can help you. In the mean time, extract your router's log in details and keep them safe in a text file.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

froggythrower (03-01-12)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

LMFAO.... you sound like you work for Sky in some capacity, trying to scare me into staying their customer He He, the point is if I left and came back they would have loads of hastle and have to give me a free router anyway, and as I have been a customer for 10 years never moaning or asking for anything you would have thought the 38 charge would have been put down to ''good'' will to a loyal customer .................................................. ..
      ........better performer
      Don't be too hard on him, that's the longest post he's made in about 2 years. The poor chap must be exhausted.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

froggythrower (03-01-12)