Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moving from TalkTalk to Sky

This is a discussion on Moving from TalkTalk to Sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, new to this forum as I wanted a little help and info before I migrate from TalkTalk to ...

DRS2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thrybergh
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Arrow Moving from TalkTalk to Sky

Hi all, new to this forum as I wanted a little help and info before I migrate from TalkTalk to Sky.

I was originally with Pipex but TalkTalk took them over last month, I am not tied to a contract so mailed them for my MAC code so as to move to Sky. They told me as I was on an LLU I didn`t need one and that Sky can simply take control, is this true or are thet stalling me so as to get further months cash from me ?

Also I spoke to a Sky rep on chat who assured me they only wanted 10 to take over my existing BT line and switch broadband. After which I paid 22.25 per month for unlimited broadband and Sky free talk & line rental, this will be reduced to 17.25 for the first 6 months due to being a first time user of Sky.

Is there anything else to pay as im on limited money at the minute and dont want to sign to find my account is to be debited by cash I don`t have.

TalkTalk implement a 40GB cap on their broadband, are there any such restrictions with Sky? I do a lot of browsing throughout the day due to not being able to get out much, its my only pleasure, and I do download a bit at night time too from a dedicated server. I don`t use P2P.

Thanks for any info and help, and wish you all a Happy New Year

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Moving from TalkTalk to Sky

Quote Originally Posted by DRS2000 View Post
      I was originally with Pipex but TalkTalk took them over last month, I am not tied to a contract so mailed them for my MAC code so as to move to Sky. They told me as I was on an LLU I didn`t need one and that Sky can simply take control, is this true or are thet stalling me so as to get further months cash from me ?
      Using the information in your profile, your telephone exchange has both TalkTalk & Sky's LLU Equipment. This being the case, then they are correct in stating that a MAC code is not required.

It is also important to note that you may not have a broadband connection for around 10 days. Please don't panic as this is a common issue. If you have a 3G dongle, then top it up for the period that you don't have a land-line broadband. In some cases though, the telephone & broadband go live at the same time.

Also I spoke to a Sky rep on chat who assured me they only wanted 10 to take over my existing BT line and switch broadband. After which I paid 22.25 per month for unlimited broadband and Sky free talk & line rental, this will be reduced to 17.25 for the first 6 months due to being a first time user of Sky.
      If that is what he advised you, then this will be correct. You have Sky's equipment in your local exchange, so you should be able to get the best deal from Sky in this respect. They are also pushing free broadband for 6 months in their advertising campaign at the moment.

Is there anything else to pay as im on limited money at the minute and dont want to sign to find my account is to be debited by cash I don`t have.
      Just to check when the first direct debit will be levied to your account.

TalkTalk implement a 40GB cap on their broadband, are there any such restrictions with Sky? I do a lot of browsing throughout the day due to not being able to get out much, its my only pleasure, and I do download a bit at night time too from a dedicated server. I don`t use P2P.
      Sky Broadband Unlimited, which you can get on your exchange as you have their equipment is unlimited.

Last November I decided to really hammer my connection with over 2TB of traffic. Yes that is not a typo, and please don't swear! However I know that other members download much more than this.

There are some important things to consider though. For example some people run a business from home or like to have a web server on their home network. Whilst Sky tends to turn a blind eye to this, should there be an issue you will not get support from Sky on either. Also you would not be compensated for down time and loss of earnings.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thank you scubbie, most helpful there, 2TB wow my netbook only has a 160GB hard drive lol, Im going to contact Sky now with regards to the move, One last thing, will my router be ok or do Sky provide one ?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

With regards to your router, if you have been with Sky previously at your current address, then they do not send out a new router.

If you haven't been with Sky before at your current address, then a new router will be dispatched once they can place the broadband order on the system. This may be immediately or once the line has been moved across.

Make sure that you get the Sagem Path F@ST 2504N router as this is what you are entitled to. Some new customers have been receiving older WiFi g routers. The Sagem 2504N is WiFi n, rated up to 144mbps on a single channel.

Technically you could use your own router, however you will need a Sky router in order to get the log in details from it. Do not sell off the router as you could cause yourself a problem if your own one goes down or someone else uses it on Sky's broadband.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Just signed up, new router on way, they said only 2 hours downtime on broadband as its an LLU swap, soon as router comes, so does activation time, Phone can take 2 weeks but hey, can live with that, I got a mobile

Sending out a new router too, thanks again for help & advice Scubbie