Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to Sky Broadband

This is a discussion on New to Sky Broadband within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi new to sky broadband I have an activation date of the 04/01/12 but my new router arrived yesterday plugged ...

sowie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New to Sky Broadband

Hi new to sky broadband I have an activation date of the 04/01/12 but my new router arrived yesterday plugged in and it connected. I know the previous ocupants here did have sky broadband before they moved.

These are the stats I am currently getting

Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4090 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.0 dB 24.5 dB
      Noise Margin 6.6 dB 18.3 dB

Can i expect these to increase or decrease once the line starts training presumably from my activation date? What speeds could I expect?

Also I do a fair bit of online gaming, would it be worth me rerquesting the gaming profile?

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Router Fan Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: New to Sky Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by sowie View Post
      Hi new to sky broadband I have an activation date of the 04/01/12 but my new router arrived yesterday plugged in and it connected. I know the previous ocupants here did have sky broadband before they moved.

These are the stats I am currently getting

Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4090 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.0 dB 24.5 dB
      Noise Margin 6.6 dB 18.3 dB

Can i expect these to increase or decrease once the line starts training presumably from my activation date? What speeds could I expect?
      DLM hasn't begun yet. When it is finished I expect that you will get about 9Mb/s, maybe more. When it begins, the line will restart in the early morning and this will continue until the line trains to a speed that it can no longer maintain.

But, you seem to have an issue with the downstream noise margin, as at it's current state the speed won't be able to increase at all. Have you tried connecting to the test socket?

Router Fan Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Double post.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

At first glance, your noise margin indicates that the connection speed will drop. However the upstream connection has room for improvement and the tool on this site indicates that with a Line Attenuation of 40dB you should expect an 8-9mb download speed.

I would suggest that you look at where you are connecting your router and ensure that you are making the most of your connection. There is something holding your potential speed back and often this can be easily identified.

use the Master Socket
      use only the short grey ADSL cable supplied with the router and connect it directly to the microfilter or filtered faceplate in the master socket
      double check that each and every telephone socket in use is filtered. If you are using a filtered faceplate, then this may not be necessary

If you have checked through all of the above and there are no changes in your connection stats (remember to look at all the figures), then try using the Test Socket, if you have one. Whilst using the Test socket, check that any extensions are dead.

If this is not available, post what you have been able to do and we can take it from there. Also post the latest stats.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Right

ive taken the face plate off the main socket and plugged directly into the test socket with just the microfilter and grey adsl cable supplied with modem.

Stats are downstream upstream
      attenuation 40.0db 24.4db
      Noise margin 7.8db 18.3db

same speeds as before. does this highlight any problems??

Thanks

That would indicate that your internal wiring is holding things back a little for you.

A filtered faceplate will help, but the is still something else that needs looking at. Could you trace your telephone line from the socket to where it leaves your home. There may be a BT Junction box. If there is, could you post a photo of it with the cover removed please?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just had a quick look to the right of my front door is a small grey box with grey ducting going into the ground. the grey box has a T on it. Is this the box you want me to remove cover from and take picture. Im 99% certain this is where my phoneline traces back too.

Thanks in advance

Exchange:
      Thanks

above is the link to the wires under the grey box. looks a little rough to me what can i try??

Thanks

Those connections are correctly made.

The webbing from the spider is 'normal' as the box isn't completely air-tight, but a little clean-up won't harm it, it you are gentle.

It is normal to see the excess wiring and everything so far confirms that is DLM doesn't give you close to 8mb on the router's stats, then it might be worth looking at other steps.

In the mean time I would highly recommend a filtered faceplate. If you have any internal extensions wired up through the existing faceplate, then get an IDC punch at the same time.

run-IT-direct have both available at a good price. The guy who runs it often contributes to this forum and they will normally dispatch things the same day.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Right

Ive ordered the ADSL Filter plate in the meantime I've also disconnected the bellwire on the extension and my download noise margin on the extension has now gone up to 7.8db.

Will anywork on the external wiring increase the db margin?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast